Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who does long oil change intervals?

Bike: NC700X

Who does long oil change intervals?

For forty years, I have been very comfortable with 25,000 mile intervals on the cars I've owned. Anecdotally, no issues at all, although I do use premium synthetic media filters. Before them, I simply changed the filters between changes. I like the lowered cost, hassle, and reduced environmental cost.

Now to my 2012 NC700X standard transmission, gently ridden - 69 mpg lifetime. It has an 8,000 mile recommended interval, the same as the hybrid car I bought last year and for which I will continue my usual practice. The big difference to my mind is the NC has a wet clutch using the same engine oil. No experience with that. Last change I used full synthetic 0-20 Rotella T6 with the proper motorcycle certifications - I think from a suggestion in a thread here. I'm sitting at 11,000 miles since then. Does the clutch make a real difference in oil life or usability? Can the clutch suffer damage or should I change oil if there is a hint of slipping?

I don't want to get into a big debate about following manufacturer's recommendations, or the benefit of even shorter change intervals (might be unavoidable of course on any thread about oil). Interested in hearing from those with technical knowledge about the differences between the oil environment in cars versus motorcycles with wet clutches, and those who have actually gone longer than the recommended interval on purpose.

Thanks!

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    The gearbox is a major difference from other automotive applications. Gears are hard on oils in a different way than engines are. The clutch isn’t especially ‘hard’ on the oil unless you slip it a lot.

I have a little bit of analytical data on the condition of my NCX’s oil at 10k miles. It is in good condition and it is surprisingly clean (based on particle count). That said, you and I ride in very different climates, and we use different fluids (and I bet filters), so the fact that mine tests well at 10k doesn’t tell you about yours at 10 or 20 or however-many-thousand.

I note that you seem to have typed that you use Rotella T6 0w20 in your NCX. Are you certain that’s what you put in? I was not aware of a Rotella T6 0w20 product.

Senior Member Who does long oil change intervals? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    No 0w20 oil meets Honda's or any motorcycle wet clutch specification of JASO MA. Period, end of story. 0w oils use high loads of friction modifiers that are death to wet clutches. Once they slip and glaze the friction plates they are not recoverable and will slip until replacement.

Cars have a separate transmission from the engine that allows separate optimal lubricant use in both engine and transmission, motorcycles share engine and transmission lubricant. Transmission gears chop up the long polymer strands of multi-viscosity engine oil and drastically reduce oil service life compared to a car. Shared lubricant is the biggest difference in oil change interval between cars and bikes and you shouldn't compare them.
    Last edited by dduelin; 11th June 2019 at 13:55.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

You are right, I was looking at the 0-20 specified for my car. The Rotella T6 is indeed 5-40. I was going to buy it today, but all they had was 5-40 and that didn't look right. It was! as I found out when I got back home.

I forgot about the transmission. Yup, big difference when engine oil is shared with transmission and clutch. It remains hazy to me how that might impact oil longevity, and how I should adjust change intervals but your post does shows more stressors on the oil in motorcycle use. Good to hear that the clutch is not a big factor, at least with MA/MA2 oil.

I was already thinking about 12,000 miles as a reasonable interval. 50% more than recommended, but I think between Honda's no doubt conservative recommendation based on the shorter oil life of standard oils, it will be OK with synthetic oil and a better filter.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    K+N 215 oil filter, Shell Rotella T6 5-40wt, 8k intervals. No hassle really even with having to remove the Skid plate each time. I want to see 100k on mine so it's cheap enough IMHO.
    :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I go 10,000 miles between oil changes and every 20,000 miles I change every fluid on the motorcycle and do the valve check/adjustment (easier to keep track of that way) I'm just under 90,000 miles right now.

Only problems one had mechanically was one of my forks leaking (before I installed gators) and I've replaced both the water temp sensor and the air temp sensor.

I'm still on the original clutch and my engine performs like the day I got it.

I wouldn't have thought wet clutches wear out. Isn't the friction provided by the oil? I've never had a clutch wear out, a couple vehicles over 200,000 miles. And those were normal dry clutches.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
    I wouldn't have thought wet clutches wear out. Isn't the friction provided by the oil? I've never had a clutch wear out, a couple vehicles over 200,000 miles. And those were normal dry clutches.
    They absolutely do wear out. Every time you start off from a stop and the clutch goes from being disengaged to engaged, there is a period of slippage, and slippage = wear. Just because there is oil in there doesn't mean it's immune to wear. The wet clutch in my 2006 Vulcan Nomad 1600 with 25k miles on it currently slips if throttled hard in 5th gear.... it's on the to-do list to install a new clutch in it when I get caught up on the 4,000 other things I have to do besides that.

Senior Member Who does long oil change intervals? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I agree wet clutches generally do not wear out in general use but they often require early and unnecessary replacement for two reasons. One, riders abuse the clutch by slipping it to keep rpms up in a higher gear when a lower gear should be selected and two, because of incorrect oil use. JASO MA ensures the oil does not have large amounts of friction modifiers added and is not going to damage the clutch. FMs lower friction coefficients for better gasoline mileage in AUTOMOBILES & TRUCKS. Molybdenum is often used in friction modifiers, hence the use of the catch-all warning for motorcyclists "don't use oils with moly added or don't use oils carrying the description "Resource Conserving" on the oil container. FMs can allow the wet clutch to slip, overheat, and glaze the friction plates. Always look for the label certification JASO MA, along with API SG or higher, and the correct viscosity. 10w40 car oils carrying JASO MA may meet all three, but most car oils are now 0w20, 5w20, 5w30 and will have Resource Conserving on the container. Diesel oils of 15w40 or 5w40 might have JASO MA but since 2016 diesel oils generally have lost API rating for gasoline engine use.

Automatic transmissions in cars and trucks mainly use an oil filled torque converter that does use oil or automatic transmission fluid to create the hydrostatic friction necessary to connect the engine's power to the transmission & drive wheels. Honda used a torque converter in the CB750A in the the late 1970's but other than that evolutionary dead end, torque converter automatic transmissions are not used in motorcycles. They are heavy and large and don't fit well into motorcycles.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Who does long oil change intervals? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    For forty years, I have been very comfortable with 25,000 mile intervals on the cars I've owned.
    A company like Blackstone will do an oil analysis and give you reliable quantitative and qualitative data as to how long to stretch out your OCIs. I'm pretty sure if you are actually interested in technical knowledge that would probably be the place to start. Otherwise I have a "hunch" this thread will go sideways pretty quickly ;-)

I've used Blackstone Labs for my Ford 7.3 diesel. Motorcycle | Blackstone Laboratories
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540