Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who does long oil change intervals?

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Blackstone’s commentary seems to be one of the main reasons people are willing to pay their prices, which are very high for the testing you get. It is unfortunate that said commentary is often useless or even plain wrong. They are well known in internet consumer circles. Industrial users are generally not impressed by their price-performance balance. I use LabOne for most of my fleet and facility. I’ve used another lab for a stationary generator some, too. LabOne is local to me and they do good work. Polaris labs does a good job, too. Dyson Analysis will cost you quite a bit more, but that analysis is actually useful in terms of commentary.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    I didn't know I had a choice. Only Blackstone was recommended in this thread, and I see their name come up often on forums but have never seen negative comments.

Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Food for thought: on the old NC700 service manual, the stated interval for oil filter change is 8000 miles. On my newer 2018 NC750X user manual, the interval is increased to 16000 miles, or every 2 oil change.

Honda found out that it's not necessary to replace the oil and filter so frequently? Given their conservative nature, I reckon they would have done their research and homework.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavez View Post
    Food for thought: on the old NC700 service manual, the stated interval for oil filter change is 8000 miles. On my newer 2018 NC750X user manual, the interval is increased to 16000 miles, or every 2 oil change.

Honda found out that it's not necessary to replace the oil and filter so frequently? Given their conservative nature, I reckon they would have done their research and homework.
    They did that because the oil filter is installed by a 1000 lb gorilla and is so hard to remove! LOL!

JT

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavez View Post

That's interesting, thanks. Perhaps my bias against paper filters long term is misguided.

In the 1970's and 1980's, I reversed that NC750X protocol. I changed the filter (in cars) every 10 or 12,000 miles, and oil every other filter change. My theory was that if the oil filter actually worked, it would become loaded and eventually the bypass valve would be activated rendering the filter useless.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I believe Honda is simply moving to a corporate-wide policy of filter changes every other oil change. Their cars have been that way for some years. Even so, I would seriously doubt their oil filters would be loaded up to the point of bypassing constantly after 16,000 miles (or two years, whichever comes first, right?). I think their recommendation is sound.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I guess the engine doesn’t really produce contaminates very quickly.
    It turns at a relatively low RPM, is only two cylinders and uses very little gas. Compared to a car or truck, the NC has only a fraction of combustion cycles. Not much to fill up an oil filter.
    The 8,000 mile OCI is probably more to do with shear due to the gearbox than contamination from combustion.

JT