Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who does long oil change intervals?

Bike: NC700X
    Blackstone report is in! 12,500 miles and 3 years since my last oil change. Based on their report, I believe I could have easily gone 20,000 miles (they suggested trying 15,000 miles). For what it is worth, I used a Pure One filter.
    Who does long oil change intervals?-nc700forum-jpg

Super Moderator Who does long oil change intervals? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Thanks for sharing! I suspected the oil could safely go longer than Honda’s recommended interval.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Thanks for posting your results!

I have 3000 miles and 15 months on my current fill. Iím considering leaving it in longer to get more miles out of it. Maybe change it at 24 months? Dunno.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I suspected the oil could safely go longer than Hondaís recommended interval.
    It appears that all modern engine oil change recommendations are too conservative for almost all owners. I'm probably in the middle of all NC owners: I do enjoy accelerating from stop, but I only do it when it gains me such as getting me the front dog view, and only moderately 90% of the time (some passes require more). Other than that, I try to limit my speed to 65 and keep a steady speed. So neither the best owner nor the worst one.

I don't know what the real deal is with paper oil filters and how long they really last, but it just feels icky to use one for extended oil change intervals. And as far as I know, T6 is the best oil out there for our bikes as the only full synthetic motorcycle certified oil - could be very wrong. I also would find it wrong to have extended oil change intervals with non-synthetic oils. I'm not an engineer, but as a disclaimer, using other oils and filters may not have similar results.

One other bit of useful information about Blackstone: I used their shipping label and I didn't get results for close to two weeks. They do warn you that it can take one to two weeks, but as I tracked the shipment, it was parked in Cincinnati for a full week! So it took over a week to go one state over. This is not the way to go if you insist on immediate gratification. I don't, but was certainly worried that it had gotten lost in Cincinnati. I was curious and emailed Blackstone about it. Response:

Yes, those labels are printed and sent to us by the USPS. They are coded to advise them that the container contains Petroleum based fluids coming to our facility. Therefore, they do not travel as fast as a standard piece of mail because it has to go through different protocol than the regular mail. They tell us it can take anywhere from 1-2 weeks for a sample to be returned back to our facility. Once we receive the sample we are at a 4-5 business day turn around to get the results emailed to you.

So if you are in a rush, you could mail it yourself I suppose and tell the PO that it is not hazardous (it really isn't).

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Thanks for posting the report. You have WAY too much fuel in that oil. Blackstone doesn't measure fuel content, they 'extrapolate' it from the flash point, and they don't do a very good job. Your viscosity is WAY out of grade, and a significant part of the reason is all the fuel in there. Your actual fuel content is probably double what they're reporting to you. Change it, and do NOT extend your drain interval.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Thanks for posting the report. You have WAY too much fuel in that oil. Blackstone doesn't measure fuel content, they 'extrapolate' it from the flash point, and they don't do a very good job. Your viscosity is WAY out of grade, and a significant part of the reason is all the fuel in there. Your actual fuel content is probably double what they're reporting to you. Change it, and do NOT extend your drain interval.
    I sent this quote verbatim to Blackstone for response. Here is their reply:

A couple points I'd clarify.

On fuel: We use the flashpoint temperature to arrive at a rough estimate of how much fuel is present (the more fuel you've got, the lower the flashpoint will be). This sample had a flashpoint low enough to indicate fuel, but not the 2.0% or more we deem cautionary. You can get less than 2.0% just from normal use or the engine not being fully warm at the time of sampling.

True, the viscosity was pretty low for the grade, but that is only due in part to fuel. These engines will normally lower the viscosity and it's not uncommon whatsoever to find a viscosity similar to yours, with no fuel being present.

When it comes to extending the oil change interval, it's key to not just look at the oil's physical properties. Engine wear matters a lot, and your Honda is wearing very well compared to what averages show as typical. Given that, neither the viscosity nor the mild fuel dilution look worrisome on our end. If any other questions come up, feel free to give us a call.

Since I actually paid oil experts for their recommendations, I'm inclined to take their advice.

Senior Member Who does long oil change intervals? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
    I sent this quote verbatim to Blackstone for response. Here is their reply:

A couple points I'd clarify.

On fuel: We use the flashpoint temperature to arrive at a rough estimate of how much fuel is present (the more fuel you've got, the lower the flashpoint will be). This sample had a flashpoint low enough to indicate fuel, but not the 2.0% or more we deem cautionary. You can get less than 2.0% just from normal use or the engine not being fully warm at the time of sampling.

True, the viscosity was pretty low for the grade, but that is only due in part to fuel. These engines will normally lower the viscosity and it's not uncommon whatsoever to find a viscosity similar to yours, with no fuel being present.

When it comes to extending the oil change interval, it's key to not just look at the oil's physical properties. Engine wear matters a lot, and your Honda is wearing very well compared to what averages show as typical. Given that, neither the viscosity nor the mild fuel dilution look worrisome on our end. If any other questions come up, feel free to give us a call.

Since I actually paid oil experts for their recommendations, I'm inclined to take their advice.
    I had heard that Blackstone doesn't actually do the analysis and doesn't actually possess analytical knowledge and now I know for sure. He doesn't probably know what viscosity would be of concern, only that it's "pretty low". Pretty low compared to what? Honda's reference point or the anonymous expert's reference point? Nor does the paid expert tell him that the oil sampled is no longer certified for gasoline engine use.

Honda's oil experts give a recommendation as well. It's free.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    I had heard that Blackstone doesn't actually do the analysis and doesn't actually possess analytical knowledge and now I know for sure. He doesn't probably know what viscosity would be of concern, only that it's "pretty low". Pretty low compared to what? Honda's reference point or the anonymous expert's reference point? Nor does the paid expert tell him that the oil sampled is no longer certified for gasoline engine use.

Honda's oil experts give a recommendation as well. It's free.
    Honda does oil testing for owners? If you are talking about the manual recommendation, that is pretty global for all owners under all conditions.

What do you mean, "no longer certified for gasoline use"? Certifications were on the new bottle of oil I bought a month ago.

I'm not sure what viscosity would be of concern either. This is my first sample, but whether you like Blackstone or not, they have certainly seen a lot of oil samples.

If you want to examine Blackstone's credentials, here is a bit from the email I didn't post earlier:

If any other questions come up, feel free to give us a call (260-744-2380) for any additional clarification.

Best,
    Joe Adams
    Analyst
    Blackstone Laboratories

I used them based on recommendations of forum members in this very thread. If you thought they were crap, you could have said something then. Basically you are telling me that I shouldn't have used them, and their analysis and recommendations are crap. Doesn't get much harsher than that online.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Blackstone’s commentary seems to be one of the main reasons people are willing to pay their prices, which are very high for the testing you get. It is unfortunate that said commentary is often useless or even plain wrong. They are well known in internet consumer circles. Industrial users are generally not impressed by their price-performance balance. I use LabOne for most of my fleet and facility. I’ve used another lab for a stationary generator some, too. LabOne is local to me and they do good work. Polaris labs does a good job, too. Dyson Analysis will cost you quite a bit more, but that analysis is actually useful in terms of commentary.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.