Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How low can an NC be lowered?

Bike: 2013 NC700X

How low can an NC be lowered?

Wife is wanting a bike, would love for her to learn on an auto so she can concentrate on riding first without shifting. She is 5' flat. So idk if the NC can be lowered that much.

Anybody have any sub 30" seat heights on their lowered NC?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2014 NC700X, 2018 GL 1800 Tour DCT
    I am ~6 ft but only have a 30" inseam, I picked up some riding boots with thick soles to help make up the difference.

Bike is not lowered.

I would like for her to get something light like a Ninja 300, but they are 31" seat height and I think max you can lower them is 2" and it gets a little sketchy at that point with clearance issues I think.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Stock seat is 32.7" so you're wanting to lower it 3"? I would look at a different bike. If DCT is a requirement, then maybe the ctx700 with a 28.3" seat?
    2018 CTX700N DCT Overview - Honda Powersports

Most other DCT bikes are much taller.
    Top Automatic Motorcycles You Can Buy In 2019 | Cycle World

If DCT isn't a requirement, then there's bikes like the Rebel 300/500 which have 27.2" seat heights (5.5" lower than the nc700). My wife is 5' 4" and has a 500. She can flat foot but feet after getting a Corbin seat. Bars are a little bit of a reach and we may change them at some point. My nc700x gets better gas mileage but she has plenty of power too keep up. With equivalent riders, the Rebel might win a drag race.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bike: NC750X
    I had mine lowered 40mm

Super Moderator How low can an NC be lowered? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Another option is to put her on a mid size (250-300 cc) scooter. Attributes are low seat height, automatic transmission that is less complex than a DCT, low center of gravity, semi step through frame, full fairing front end. My 5 foot tall wife got a 250cc Honda Reflex. She would not have been able to handle the weight of a CTX700, even if the seat height was suitable, so the midi scooter is about the maximum size bike she can ride.
    Last edited by 670cc; 1st June 2019 at 12:39.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by jspivy View Post
    Stock seat is 32.7" so you're wanting to lower it 3"? I would look at a different bike. If DCT is a requirement, then maybe the ctx700 with a 28.3" seat?
    2018 CTX700N DCT Overview - Honda Powersports

Most other DCT bikes are much taller.
    Top Automatic Motorcycles You Can Buy In 2019 | Cycle World

If DCT isn't a requirement, then there's bikes like the Rebel 300/500 which have 27.2" seat heights (5.5" lower than the nc700). My wife is 5' 4" and has a 500. She can flat foot but feet after getting a Corbin seat. Bars are a little bit of a reach and we may change them at some point. My nc700x gets better gas mileage but she has plenty of power too keep up. With equivalent riders, the Rebel might win a drag race.

Yeah she is like me and big on looks and does not like the CTX at all. I figured with the NC's ground clearance and longer suspension it could be lowered significantly, and add preload to rear shock to minimize clearance issues. Which she is also a lighter rider than myself anyways, so adding preload might not matter. I'm just mulling over my options right now.

I have been against her getting her own because I don't want to be responsible if something bad happens. Older guy at work had bikes for him and his wife and she took a curve too wide, hit a car head on and died. My wife grew up on farm driving tractors, atvs, large lawn mowers, and whatnot, but never anything with 2 wheels. I have no doubt I could teach her everything, its just whether or not she will listen and soak it up, she is rather stubborn and likes to do things her way.

I figured a Ninja 300 would be good due to the lean angle clearance, sportier more manageable feel with being so light, like it would be more responsive for her. And they are much cheaper, used ones with low miles going for $3k or less.

Looked at the Honda rebels in 300/500 and may go that route if small cc sportbikes are out, but I just dont like their looks that much. I do like the Yamaha Bolt and it has a low seat height too, and sounds badass with some V&H exhaust. And would probably sell more easily if she ended up not being much of a rider later on.

We have dinner reservations later tonight at Scottie's On The River in Chattanooga and are gonna try to stop by Southern Honda on the way before they close to let her sit on the CBR300R if they have one in stock, and a Rebel 300/500, to see which one suits her best.

Last edited by TacomaJD; 1st June 2019 at 12:48.

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    I'm not big on looks but I can't get it the ctx appearance. It's a bike I want to like but can't. Maybe if I rode one...?

I understand being nervous about your wife riding. My wife is still rusty and hasn't got over some bad habits of riding a bike too big (VStar 1100). That got her scared of riding and she stopped for about 8 years. We got together and she rode with me which ignited her desire to ride again. But not another 1100 beast. This is her fourth bike but it's been a struggle getting past the fears that made her stop.

My wife knows a guy who commutes about 40 highway miles on a Rebel 300. He bought it used thinking it was a 500. He was a little upset when we said "nice Rebel 300..." but sucked it up because he's been happy with it.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I think it was OCR in a different post had recommended a riding shoe/boot that he took to the shoe cobbler and had them add 1" to the sole. It still looked good, easy to walk in, was fairly cheap and once finished he could easily touch the ground and had better stability. Just a thought...

Also if you were closer, i have a beautiful black and pristine 2012 CBR250R with 462 original miles that i am finally going to be selling that i'd make you a great deal on it. I bought it several years ago to commute when i worked over in Montana, but quickly found out that at my age and with my Arthritis/Gout, i just can't ride in that position any more. :{)

How low can an NC be lowered?-babyr2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images How low can an NC be lowered?-babyr-jpg 
    Last edited by Rapturee; 1st June 2019 at 17:27. Reason: added pic
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Lowering.........

TacomaJD,

To see how much she will need to lower any bike you might want to start here.........

Motorcycle Ergonomics

Start by putting in any bike she is considering and then keep adding to her inseam on the options pane to see how much she would need to lower it to get to a comfortable point for her.

Sounds waay more complicated than it is.

Slo_Rider