Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How low can an NC be lowered?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Well it's home. Let her try getting on it and familiarizing herself with the clutch. It needs lowered, she cant touch well enough to catch herself taking off from a stop before it gets going good enough to balance itself. It is going to be a long road. Lol

3 deep now. Lol. 71 yr old guy we bought it from had 4 bikes, one was a Ducati XDiavel S that he let me sit on. 41 lean angle with feet forward pegs, might have to get one of those one day! First one I have seen in person.

The diavel

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I rode the Bolt down the road and back. It will probably outrun the NC, but probably close to same power (feel) as my Nomad. Nomad is a 1600 but weighs over 800 lbs and has large windshield (drag), and supposed to have 67 hp and 94 ft lbs of torque. Idk, it may take the Bolt, but it wouldn't just leave it or anything. Bolt's power wasn't surprising, but had plenty to be fun, albeit less so than I figured it would have.

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered?
    How low can an NC be lowered?
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    My thoughts are that a 900 cc bike is way too much for a rank beginner - even if she had a longer inseam - and Yes, I've heard all the stories of "She'll grow into it." What I find happens most often is that said rank beginner remains terrified of the bike and never ever get comfy riding. I hope it turns out the opposite for your sake but I'm not hopeful.

It's easy to buy and resell a 250 bike with scars & scratches from being dropped because people are always looking for low-cost starter bikes.

In 16-years of being an MSF instructor, I've found that people who don't know how to drive a manual shift car often have a difficult time learning how to ride a bike with manual transmission. I would ALWAYS recommend that they learn clutch/throttle coordination in a car before coming to class. Cars don't easily fall over!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, get her into a riding course ASAP - before she hurts herself!.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 8th June 2019 at 03:52.

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered?How low can an NC be lowered? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    My thoughts are that a 900 cc bike is way too much for a rank beginner - even if she had a longer inseam - and Yes, I've heard all the stories of "She'll grow into it." What I find happens most often is that said rank beginner remains terrified of the bike and never ever get comfy riding. I hope it turns out the opposite for your sake but I'm not hopeful.

It's easy to buy and resell a 250 bike with scars & scratches from being dropped because people are always looking for low-cost starter bikes.

In 16-years of being an MSF instructor, I've found that people who don't know how to drive a manual shift car often have a difficult time learning how to ride a bike with manual transmission. I would ALWAYS recommend that they learn clutch/throttle coordination in a car before coming to class. Cars don't easily fall over!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, get her into a riding course ASAP - before she hurts herself!.
    Before I took my MSF Beginners course in 2004 I bought a 2001 Suzuki SV650. The SV was touted as a possible beginners bike but it was just not true for me. I dropped the bike in front of an oncoming car. I wasn't hit but I did wind up wedged between the bike and the driver's door. It took 6 months of talking to a professional to get back on a motorcycle. The bike I got back into motorcycling with was a 1985 Kawasaki 454 LTD, the bike I should have had in the first place. Nine months after getting the 454 I crashed the 454 (my own fault, target fixation) and immediately went looking for a big scooter because I could not shift with my damaged left foot. I bought a 2003 Honda Silver Wing that I put 21,000 miles on in two years here in VT. Get her to take the course before buying a bike. Riding a bike is a lot different than sitting on one in a dealers showroom. There is no rush, take your time.

The Bolt will be taking a back seat in the shop for later when she learns. We are about to go pick up a CRF110F dirt bike for the 11 yr old and she can practice riding it too. Then I very well may try to find an older cheap Honda Rebel for her to learn on. Really wish she would just get a Can Am Ryker, but she thinks those are ugly. Lol

Bike: '18 NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Rider View Post
    Motorcycle Ergonomics

Start by putting in any bike she is considering and then keep adding to her inseam on the options pane to see how much she would need to lower it to get to a comfortable point for her.

Slo_Rider
    Thanks, that's a great site, the graphic really helps to visualize bike fit. Just go to "seat height" and select negative numbers.

With a 30" inseam only my toes touch and I thought I'd check into lowering my bike too. Unfortunately, to get my heels down I'd have to drop the seat 2" and I think that's too much for the handling of the bike. At least that's what I've read.

Since I'm just getting back into riding and not used to this bike yet I think I'll just give it some time and see if I can get used to it. Being on my toes does make it hard to move the bike around, especially in gravel.

There may be hope afterall!

YouTube

Picked up a 2019 fuel injected CRF110F today as a joint venture for both the stepson and the wife to learn on. Both rode it pretty good when we got it home, I was surprised. She done well shifting gears (clutchless 4 speed) and maintaining balance. He done well too.

My dad had to take it for a ride as well. Lol

Now he is wearing his helmet and gloves around in the house....ah, to be a kid again.

Woke up this morning, got out of the shower and she is out there cruising around the yard with the dog chasing her LOL. She is loving it.

YouTube

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Lowered......

TacomaJD,

For a second there, as she rounded the corner, I thought she was going to use your shelter door as a ramp!!!

Slo_Rider