Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How low can an NC be lowered?

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered? superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    I love the bolt! Will be a great bike

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by superdedooperman View Post
    I love the bolt! Will be a great bike
    I just hope she is a sponge and soaks up all that I will try teaching her. She's usually pretty stubborn, which is why she is getting one against my suggestion that she just stick to riding with me. She catches on pretty fast to things like this, so maybe she will do alright. I just hope she doesn't drop it. *cringe*

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered?
    How low can an NC be lowered?
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    It would be a great idea to get her into a riding safety course. A total stranger, who happens to be a professional instructor, does a 300% better job than a loved one who means well. There is also no emotional history/linkage between the instructor and student. :-)

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    I plan on ordering lifts for my riding boots, probably 1". Sort of like heal cushions but thicker. Some over 2". I can almost flat foot now but maybe not after installing my SeatConcepts next weekend, we'll see. I just spent a lot of money on Soupy's lowering links & adjustable side stand for my Vstrom & didn't want to do that twice. Seen lifts on Amazon for about $8 & up, maybe another option.
    Last edited by Juan_Banjovy; 6th June 2019 at 03:12.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    +1 on taking a rider safety course.

Also, the Bolt is a great bike!

JT

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I just hope she is a sponge and soaks up all that I will try teaching her. She's usually pretty stubborn, which is why she is getting one against my suggestion that she just stick to riding with me. She catches on pretty fast to things like this, so maybe she will do alright. I just hope she doesn't drop it. *cringe*

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    It would be a great idea to get her into a riding safety course. A total stranger, who happens to be a professional instructor, does a 300% better job than a loved one who means well. There is also no emotional history/linkage between the instructor and student. :-)
    Highly highly recommended!

After years of riding without a motorcycle endorsement (and never getting caught) I took a course and learned more than I can type. Have her take a course. Heck you may want to take one with her! Knowledge is a good thing. Skills are a good thing.

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Boots...

Folks,

Although several people have mentioned taller boots I have not seen a specific reference to these boots. They are far from cheap but appear to indicate a 2.5 cm height increase.

Daytona M-Star GTX Boots - RevZilla

Slo_Rider
    Last edited by Slo_Rider; 6th June 2019 at 14:44.

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered? superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    It just seems inevitable to drop your first bike. The bolt has about the same amount of power as the NC, but weighs more. So, it may seem a little less powerful. That's always good for new riders. But the weight isn't necessarily good. I know it was for me when I started out on a Virago 250. Plenty enough power to ride around town on and just get used to everything. The 2 rebels are plenty lighter than the bolt.

All in all it's just comes down to what she's comfortable with doing. I do concur about getting her into a training course, though.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by superdedooperman View Post
    It just seems inevitable to drop your first bike. The bolt has about the same amount of power as the NC, but weighs more. So, it may seem a little less powerful. That's always good for new riders. But the weight isn't necessarily good. I know it was for me when I started out on a Virago 250. Plenty enough power to ride around town on and just get used to everything. The 2 rebels are plenty lighter than the bolt.

All in all it's just comes down to what she's comfortable with doing. I do concur about getting her into a training course, though.
    I would bet the Bolt will outrun the NC and probably even my Nomad 1600, or at least be as fast as it. It's only a 5 speed, probably geared lower, has over 50 ft lbs of tq, and that low end vtwin grunt would probably surprise a lot of people. I have ridden a few different Yamaha vtwin bikes in the Stryker 1300 and several Warrior 1700's (which are stupid fast for vtwin sportcruisers), they know how to build a good torquey vtwin.

I'm of the thought that power in bikes like these is negligible for a beginner, especially a female who does not have the need for speed like most of us. I wanted her to get a bike that wasn't new (already got most of the depreciation out of the way), a solid bike more marketable to a broader audience, for ease of sale when she gets tired of it. Or....if she likes it, becomes good at riding, she has one that doesn't struggle to keep up with everybody at highway speeds and doesn't sound retarded if we put on an aftermarket exhaust. The Bolt sounds wicked with a good exhaust. Rebel 500 not so much.

I may look into the rider course for her, just to see what's offered, but I doubt she will do it. I 100% have no interest in it for myself. My rider's course consisted of riding dirtbikes since I was old enough to walk and then up to sportbikes walking several-mile-long wheelies down the interstate, to trackdays involving classroom time in between Novice track sessions on track technique, and then on through riding in Intermediate and Advance groups. Also consisted of crashing on the MX track back in my teens a few times, crashing dirtbikes in the woods and on street, had a sweet lowside crash at my first trackday on a sportbike, and then the big freak crash back in 2010 that resulted in my left leg amputation. I haven't crashed since March 7th, 2010 so I am on a 9 year hot streak! LOL.

We are going to go through everything in a parking lot and let her get a feel for how to brake hard in a straight line, countersteering, not being scared of the front brake and knowing when and how to use it in conjunction with the rear brake, how to predict the way the bike will handle at low speed over different types of ground (like parking lot with potholes/asphalt shoulders/off camber/etc.) The biggest key to safely riding a motorcycle, in my opinion, is knowing how to predict feel/handling. I think most accidents occur when the rider is caught by surprise, the rider needs to be able to assess the elements in front of him/her and understand how that will affect the bike and what to do to in regards to it. There's no way to be prepared for everything, but if she can get the basics down and learn to not freak out when she encounters something in a curve and stand the bike up (go straight), or do any weird things during low speed maneuvers like grab front brake with wheel turned, etc, I think she may catch on and be alright.

Either way, I am going to confine her to a controlled environment for a long time before letting her go to the next level like busier, curvier, or faster roads. I am pretty good about assessing what a rider is doing wrong and how to correct it, taught several of my friends how to ride over the years with great success, some even surprising me and becoming very skilled riders. Weather is supposed to suck this weekend so I don't even know if she will get to try it out until next weekend.
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 6th June 2019 at 15:36.

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered?
    How low can an NC be lowered?
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    I would not recommend anyone who already rides to attend a riding class with a loved one who is a beginner.

And yes, I've heard all the stories about "I want to support her," but I found from personal experience that it just puts that person under a lot more pressure. And too often, you'll be there to inject your own ideas about riding into her head - sometimes contrary to what they are trying to teach! She (and could be a he!) will make lots of mistakes and perhaps even drop the training bike so let them do it among total strangers they'll never see again after the class is over.

In a previous life, I ran a Honda Rider Ed Ctr and was also an MSF instructor for 16 years. Whenever I saw a male at the rest/viewing area, I would ask them what they were doing and if the reply was to watch a girlfriend/wife in class, I would politely ask them to leave. :-)
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 7th June 2019 at 03:33.