Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How low can an NC be lowered?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    She liked the rebel 500 pretty good. All they had was one orange 500 and liked the color of the gray 300, so she sat on both. Some thick soled riding boots would make her a little more surefooted, but she was comfortable on it.

Haha

Also got a cool pic of the CB500X beside a 750X beside an Africa Twin. Didn't realize how big the Africa Twin was. Hard to tell in pics though. Another thing that surprised me with the AT was the 90mm wide front tire, didn't realize they ran that skinny of a tire up front.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator How low can an NC be lowered? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Africa Twin is basically a dual sport in the CRF series (CRF1000L). Skinny 21 inch front tire.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Africa Twin is basically a dual sport in the CRF series (CRF1000L). Skinny 21 inch front tire.
    Yeah my buddy has one and I have rode with him while on my Vulcan, didn't really look his bike over too good and hadn't rode with him since I got my NC to really notice the size. I sat on it, it was pretty cool. Still rather have Vfr1200x though. Lol.

It was sitting beside another AT that had a massively wider tank and sat up even higher, I assume a special ADV edition or something. It was crazy wide at the tank.

I haven't kept up with newer sportbikes since I can't ride them anymore, but those new '19 flat black CBR1000R's are absolutely badass! So much different than they used to be. Wish I could still ride them!

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Another option is to put her on a mid size (250-300 cc) scooter. Attributes are low seat height, automatic transmission that is less complex than a DCT, low center of gravity, semi step through frame, full fairing front end. My 5 foot tall wife got a 250cc Honda Reflex. She would not have been able to handle the weight of a CTX700, even if the seat height was suitable, so the midi scooter is about the maximum size bike she can ride.
    I very much tend to agree with this suggestion. Imho DCT might not be ideal for a beginner especially in the bottom two gears, whereas the smooth and linear performance of a variable belt drive is much kinder to beginners. My Wife's short riding career began with an early model Majesty 250 and She loved it, to the extent that she covered 800 miles on it over a long weekend.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered?
    How low can an NC be lowered?
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Although on the surface, it appears that Soupy's Adjustable Links would allow a near-infinite drop, in reality it's not that way. The arc of the rear tire's circumfernce and the arc of the rear inner fender differ so at some point, they will converge. My guess is that somewhere just a little north of 1-1/2" is the safe max. And this distance can and will be effected by where the rear axle is secured.

Senior Member How low can an NC be lowered?
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Tire size matters as well: with a smaller tire, maybe a 150/60 to replace the stock 160/60, you can lower it more before the tire hits the undertail at full bump. It lowers the bike some, too... of course, lowered and with smaller tire you might run hard parts into the ground in a G-out.
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    She liked the rebel 500 pretty good. All they had was one orange 500 and liked the color of the gray 300, so she sat on both. Some thick soled riding boots would make her a little more surefooted, but she was comfortable on it.

Is there a size/height difference between the 300 and the 500 frame that might make it easier for her, or is it just an engine difference?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    Although on the surface, it appears that Soupy's Adjustable Links would allow a near-infinite drop, in reality it's not that way. The arc of the rear tire's circumfernce and the arc of the rear inner fender differ so at some point, they will converge. My guess is that somewhere just a little north of 1-1/2" is the safe max. And this distance can and will be effected by where the rear axle is secured.
    We lowered my wife's NC700x about an inch at the triple tree and about an inch on the rear using Soupy's. My wife is now much more comfortable on the NC. She's 5'8" and had to "tip-toe" the bike. Pretty close to "flat footing" it now.
    Last edited by melensdad; 4th June 2019 at 06:58.

Seat height on both the Rebel 300 and 500 are the same @ 27.2". They look to be identical bikes except the engines.

Bike: NC700X DCT

Lower NC

I lowered my NC 3 inches. Works just fine with no handling issues.

Talked her into a bolt and found a nice R Spec near where we live. Letting me have it for $5k. If she turns out to not be a rider, we can sell for even money or maybe even make a little on it.