Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often you use the bike cover when parked?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Living in an apt complex, i cover nearly every single day/night. Not just for prying eyes or weather, but for me it's the complex kids that just love to climb on it and push all of the buttons, toggles and switches etc. They don't mean any harm and usually are not being supervised or "parented" so they are always around me when i am outside wanting to be a part of whatever i am doing. :{/
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member How often you use the bike cover when parked? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    I keep my bike covered as much as I can. Even though I park out of the sun in a carport, there's still a lot of dust and pollutants that gets on the bike in just one day. Plus, especially at work at the store, it keeps kids from thinking it's a toy to play on.

But then I have the Kwikover, which sits in its own bag on top of the back of my passenger seat. Easy to put on or roll up and stuff into the bag. It covers most of the bike: seats, instruments, grips, mirrors and half of the windscreen.
    I bought mine from Laminar Lip and I just bought another one right now when I checked their site, as it's almost half off! Check it out:

kwiKover by Laminar

Bike: NC700XA-C
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    But then I have the Kwikover, which sits in its own bag on top of the back of my passenger seat. Easy to put on or roll up and stuff into the bag. It covers most of the bike: seats, instruments, grips, mirrors and half of the windscreen.
    Hmm. I followed the link eagerly but the fact you can tell what the bike is easily kind of puts me off. I cover for protection against the elements but also so that there's no way for a thief to tell if it's a crappy 125 with boxes or something more worthy of pinching.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Senior Member How often you use the bike cover when parked? FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    Cover every night, but that's because it stays outside from Easter to Thanksgiving/Christmas (weather dependent). I have a Honda branded cover and it's lasted 3 years so far. I'm careful to either not put it on as soon as I get home, or to keep it off the hot parts if it's raining and I want the cover on. I do find paw prints on my seats some mornings, so at least one cat uses it for shelter! Cover stays at home, don't take it to work even if it's forecast storms - that's a free bike wash!! It doesn't stay anywhere else overnight except the occasional MSTA weekend.
    --
    Fez

Senior Member How often you use the bike cover when parked? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by jtanner View Post
    Before I graduated college I rode the NC to campus and to work everyday, sometimes in snow and rain. Like you, I had a cheap cover that never succeeded in keeping the bike fully dry, but I found that it at least helped to channel the water down the sides of the bike instead of allowing the water to work into all of the crevices. The seat still got a little wet but I always kept a towel in the compartment for that reason. That cheap cover cost me 20 bucks and is still in good shape (almost 3 years old).
    Very good point in my opinion.
    Thanks.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Senior Member How often you use the bike cover when parked? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    Mine sits outside only at work but unlike most people here I don't cover because of rain, I cover because of sun. Basically my cover stretches from the top box to the handlebars shading the seat and covering the handgrips. When it hits over 100 degrees (Fahrenheit of course, but for those outside the US; 38 degrees C), those black hand grips and black seat can reach a temperature that can cause burns. So I only cover during the summer. But not quite yet because we have been unseasonably mild so far.
    Very good point too!
    Thanks.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Senior Member How often you use the bike cover when parked?How often you use the bike cover when parked? kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    I always cover it when it is parked at home. I ride in the pouring rain, slowly, and leave the bike parked outside at work. The one and only time I covered the bike at work I did so with a short travel cover. The wind came up that day and filled the cover like a parachute, picked the bike up and smashed it into the car parked next to it. The wind blew so hard that day that it pulled newly planted trees right out of the ground. I had had the bike about a week. No more covers at work.

Senior Member How often you use the bike cover when parked? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Never, dont even own one.. I park the bike in my garage/shed (wife calls it a garage, I call it an oversized shed) when at home..if it gets rained on at work...no biggee...I once rode thru a monsoon type rain from Ga/Florida border to Louisville (never slacked). No ill effects on the bike (2012, I was riding a bmw g650gs) but I was soaked thru and thru, cold (45'F) and rain all that way; I had on 2 rain suits, a snowmobile suit and when I got home, peeled everything off and was in hot shower for 30 minutes to warm up. At work, if it gets over 90'F I try to park the bike in the shade to keep the seat and grips from becoming too hot; but with dress slacks and my riding pants on, even with hot seat, dont really feel it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]