Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?

Bike: Nc700X

Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?

Hey Guyís & Galís,

I carry extra fuel in a MSR fuel bottle and am wondering what you folks do, do you freshen up the fuel every few fuel stops, or do you use fuel stabilizer for the season. I was thinking many probably do not give much thought to this, but wanted some opinions.

Thanks for your input..... Willie

Senior Member Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?
    Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    1 gallon rotopax mounted to the top of the top box. I only fill it for those long segments of a trip. Then drain it and leave it empty when I know I won’t need the extra fuel. I never leave fuel “stored” in it beyond the trip segment where it might be needed.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Super Moderator Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    In RotopaX or MSR bottles, I usually add a little Stabil and keep the fuel in the container for the spring riding season, then replace it for the fall riding season (I don’t generally do long motorcycle trips in the summer due to the heat). Even though it’s much discussed, I don’t have issues with aged fuel. Only once have I called open the extra fuel to bail me out of a situation, so usually the fuel stays in the container the whole season and then gets dumped into a vehicle with a large fuel tank at the end.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Desert Fox fuel bag. 5 Liter size. Fill it only for long legs of a trip. Roll it up and stow it away when not in use.

No extra fuel carried on a daily basis.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I only fill a small fuel bottle if Iím going on a long trip. If I use it on the road, I just refill it with gas from the pump. When Iím done with the trip, I dump it in the tank and let the bottle dry out and store it away.

If I were exploring remote areas, I would carry an appropriately sized fuel can (like a Rotopax). As soon as the tank is empty enough to take it, I would dump the extra gas in the tank.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    I only fill a small fuel bottle if I’m going on a long trip. If I use it on the road, I just refill it with gas from the pump. When I’m done with the trip, I dump it in the tank and let the bottle dry out and store it away.

If I were exploring remote areas, I would carry an appropriately sized fuel can (like a Rotopax). As soon as the tank is empty enough to take it, I would dump the extra gas in the tank.

JT
    And this is when I carry extra fuel.

I don't carry extra fuel on a daily basis. Despite the fact that I live in a rural area I'm never far enough away from a gas station that I can't manage to refill the tank somewhere along my ride. Honestly I don't really understand the need to carry extra fuel on a daily basis. It adds excess weight and provides very little to zero practical utility on a daily basis.

Load the bike with gear for a long distance adventure trip and it seems to have roughly 200 miles of realistic range, depending upon load, road & riding style. Head off into rural Canada or remote areas of the USA and carrying a gallon of fuel makes a lot of sense while on a road trip.

Seems like owners of NC700x/750x bikes are more likely to carry around MSR fuel bottles on daily rides than other bike owners.

I'm not sure why. Is it just a Farkle?

Super Moderator Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Seems like owners of NC700x/750x bikes are more likely to carry around MSR fuel bottles on daily rides than other bike owners.

I'm not sure why. Is it just a Farkle?
    The NC’s 3.7 gallon fuel capacity is, in my opinion, unusually small. Ridden gently, the range is OK and on a par with other motorcycles. Ride crazy into a strong headwind with windshield and saddlebags and the range is ridiculously short. Maybe that drives the desire to carry extra fuel.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The NC’s 3.7 gallon fuel capacity is, in my opinion, unusually small. Ridden gently, the range is OK and on a par with other motorcycles. Ride crazy into a strong headwind with windshield and saddlebags and the range is ridiculously short. Maybe that drives the desire to carry extra fuel.
    I understand the desire but how often is it actually needed when not out on a long distance trip in remote areas?

I’ve had to pull in for fuel sooner than when I wanted to do so but never have I, when not on a trip to remote areas, found myself stranded and in need of a liter bottle of fuel.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I carry 2 full MSR bottles all the time. For my 2600 mile trip i added 2 more just for the piece of mind. Twice on the ride i found myself needing fuel late at night/early in the morning and was unable to locate a place for fuel that was open or that had 24hr pumps, which was (S/W Montana and Eastern Idaho). Those two times i filled up using 3.4gals and 3.5 gals. For me, it was nice just knowing i had the fuel if needed. :{)

I attached two MSR bottles per side(the extra 2 up front and the permanent 2 in the rear). For my Alaska trip next year i will find a nice spot for a larger container. :{)
    easy to mount
    Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?-msr-bottles-installed-jpg

and a perfect fit with the luggage.
    Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?-msr-bottles-installed2-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?-3step-vac-colorado-welcome-sign-jpg 
    Last edited by Rapturee; 1st June 2019 at 17:14.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    I carry 2 full MSR bottles all the time. For my 2600 mile trip i added 2 more just for the piece of mind. Twice on the ride i found myself needing fuel late at night/early in the morning and was unable to locate a place for fuel that was open or that had 24hr pumps, which was (S/W Montana and Eastern Idaho)...
    Right. On a 2600 mile trip. In remote areas.

But on your daily commutes, afternoon rides, etc that is when I question the actual need to carry fuel.

Sure I do agree with everyone here, fuel tank is too small. Agreed. But outside of trips, is carrying extra fuel just a Farkle? I think, in practical terms of daily riding, it is nothing more than an unneeded, weight adding, accessory.