Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices?

Super Moderator Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Right. On a 2600 mile trip. In remote areas.

But on your daily commutes, afternoon rides, etc that is when I question the actual need to carry fuel.

Sure I do agree with everyone here, fuel tank is too small. Agreed. But outside of trips, is carrying extra fuel just a Farkle? I think, in practical terms of daily riding, it is nothing more than an unneeded, weight adding, accessory.
    Agree. For daily riding, extra fuel is unnecessary for those living in populated areas with plenty of fuel stops. But then again, not everyone does “daily riding”. I don’t run errands or go to “town” with my NC. I don’t and never did commute to a job by motorcycle, either. People use their motorcycles differently, so no one practice fits all.

I do only carry extra fuel when riding to places I expect might to have scarce fuel availability. On trips with riding buddies, I’ll carry a gallon of fuel and make it available to the group as needed, in case they have a problem outside my control.
    Last edited by 670cc; 29th May 2019 at 08:55.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Honestly I don't really understand the need to carry extra fuel on a daily basis. It adds excess weight and provides very little to zero practical utility on a daily basis.
    You obviously either don't commute every day, or have a short commute ;-)

I run 60+ miles a day (just to get to work and back) and also use the NC for errands and shopping during the week and weekends. The itty-bitty fuel tank and horrible mileage when loaded and at speed mean that sometimes I have to fuel every other day. That is insane. Did it for almost a year, then started carrying an additional 3 gallons of fuel. I've had my low fuel light go on at 120 miles when running fast and heavy on my I-95 commute.

Is it necessary? No. Does it add practical utility to the motorcycle? Yes!

Until you have had to refuel every other day or so for a couple of months you probably wouldn't understand how annoying it can be.
    Last edited by ld_rider; 29th May 2019 at 09:23.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    ld_rider you assume much.

Pretty much have to refuel every time I ride.
    What difference does it make if I stop at the gas station or dump it from an aux tank? Either way Iím refueling. There are some times when I will top off at home using the gas I store from the lawnmower. But regardless Iím still refueling almost every ride. I see no utility in carrying fuel when there are stations aplenty to stop. And I live in a rural area, 15 minutes to the nearest small town.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    My commute is 120 round trip and I do have to fill up every day which is a bit of a hassle

When I go on a longer ride where getting gas could be a problem I bring 1 liter just in case but between cell phone and Google maps or gas buddy knowing where a gas station is or isn't hasn't gotten easier then it used to be

Senior Member Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    I commute almost daily on my bikes during spring/summer/fall. My round trip is 76 miles per day (60 miles on the superslab)...I dont carry extra fuel and yes I have to refuel every other day, but heck it only takes 5 minutes to fill up and there is a Shell station next to my on/off ramp on the Interstate (on both ends). Lucky I live east of the Mississippi and I am never more than 15 miles from a 24/7 convenience stop. Even on trips to the Smokies on the 2 lane highways and on my 1000 mile butt burner in 17 hours, never more than a few miles from a gas station when low fuel started blinking..on my long rides to the Smokies (380 miles each way) by the time the bike is needing a refill, my bladder is needing an empty... I do see in the remote areas of the country which dont have all night convenience stops, the need to carry extra fuel on long rides or even long commutes...my C50 Boulevard has a 4.7 gallon tank but the overall tank range is no better than the NC700 and I have did 800 miles in 13 hours on it (superslab to Florida). Still never needed to haul extra gas...I commend you guys who live out in the remote area of the country and you can be hundreds of miles from civilization...if I rode in those conditions or did the Iron Butt Association rallys, heck yea, I would have gallons of extra fuel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Carrying extra fuel, what are you pratices? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    ld_rider you assume much.

Pretty much have to refuel every time I ride.
    What difference does it make if I stop at the gas station or dump it from an aux tank? Either way I’m refueling.
    In that case, the only difference is that you don't have to stop at a gas station to refuel, since well, you have the fuel with you!

But, suggesting that carrying extra fuel has no practical benefit assumes that the only way to refuel is to stop. That isn't true.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post that refueling can be done 'on the fly' with no need to even slow down which is a huge practical benefit.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    ...but how often is it actually needed
    Iíve pulled into gas stations on fumes before, but I have never needed to use the extra gas for myself.

I have helped other motorcyclists that were out of gas on the highway before. That small amount in a MSR bottle is good for 5-10miles to get them to the next exit. This usually happens when Iím on longer trips where there are 20-30 mile sections of highway without gas stations. People stretch their fuel and come up a few miles short all the time. Most recently on Memorial Day late evening. Guy was just trying to make time to get home after a long weekend.

JT