Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: What an idiot....road trip.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    599
    One thing I am processing after this trip is the difference in comfort between the NC and my Vulcan Nomad. Obviously the stock NC seat sucks, hopefully the Shad sheds some comfort onto the NC when it comes in the mail. But the fact of being in the wind wearing full face helmet and in an upright seating position, I was wore slap out when I got home. My tailbone literally feels like it is bruised currently. If I was on my Nomad, would have only stopped once for fuel on the way home instead of 4 times to stretch legs and regain feeling in my rump. Full windshield protection, cupped out comfortable seat, relaxed body position. I really forgot what it was like to ride long distance on something else, the Nomad has spoiled me up until this point. Lol

    I plan to keep both bikes, for their different purposes. Probably won't upgrade to a more powerful adventure bike, for quite a while at least. Just don't need it. Really happy with the NC, we were trucking along 90-100mph in Nashville traffic no problems at all. Felt really good in the curves, although I am going to have to get used to having lean angle again. Mentally I still feel like I don't need to lean it beyond what I'm used to leaning my Nomad. Didn't expect that, to be honest. Looking forward to more seat time on fun, curvy roads soon.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 20th May 2019 at 20:00.

  2. #22
    Senior Member What an idiot....road trip.
    What an idiot....road trip.
    Red Rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    368
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    One thing I am processing after this trip is the difference in comfort between the NC and my Vulcan Nomad. Obviously the stock NC seat sucks, hopefully the Shad sheds some comfort onto the NC when it comes in the mail. But the fact of being in the wind wearing full face helmet and in an upright seating position, I was wore slap out when I got home. My tailbone literally feels like it is bruised currently. If I was on my Nomad, would have only stopped once for fuel on the way home instead of 4 times to stretch legs and regain feeling in my rump. Full windshield protection, cupped out comfortable seat, relaxed body position. I really forgot what it was like to ride long distance on something else, the Nomad has spoiled me up until this point. Lol

    I plan to keep both bikes, for their different purposes. Probably won't upgrade to a more powerful adventure bike, for quite a while at least. Just don't need it. Really happy with the NC, we were trucking along 90-100mph in Nashville traffic no problems at all. Felt really good in the curves, although I am going to have to get used to having lean angle again. Mentally I still feel like I don't need to lean it beyond what I'm used to leaning my Nomad. Didn't expect that, to be honest. Looking forward to more seat time on fun, curvy roads soon.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    A proper windscreen and a fix to the stock torture device (aka seat) are arguably the most important things anyone can do to the NC to make it a truly enjoyable motorcycle. It has so many really great features that can transform it into whatever you need in a bike. It sure suits me at the current stage of my riding career. But there are times I miss those big twin touring cruisers.


    Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    A proper windscreen and a fix to the stock torture device (aka seat) are arguably the most important things anyone can do to the NC to make it a truly enjoyable motorcycle. It has so many really great features that can transform it into whatever you need in a bike. It sure suits me at the current stage of my riding career. But there are times I miss those big twin touring cruisers.
    I really like the looks of the Honda extended screen, but do not want to create the helmet buffeting issue. My Nomad's windshield goes to about 3" above level with my eyes, so I am fully protected, which is cool....but the wind coming from underneath around the sides creates bad buffeting. The fix was switch to a half helmet and it isn't able to buffet near as bad. But I lose protection. But I also enjoy wearing a half helmet for field of view and its also much cooler in the summer. I would never wear anything but a full face on the NC, and do not want to go from no buffeting with the stock screen to creating buffeting by a taller screen. And I think the taller screens with the added clip-on extension looks terrible, but moreso I believe it would be annoying having all that toward the top near my line of sight. So I will probably just rock out with the stocker.

    Also, by me comparing it to my Nomad in terms of creature comforts, does not mean I am throwing off on the NC. I do love it so far! Just a comparison to what I have been used to for several years. I think with a good seat, long ride experience will improve drastically.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Senior Member What an idiot....road trip.
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    365
    I find that a slight forward lean helps significantly with tailbone issues. I removed the risers that were on my bike when I bought it for that reason.

    I had a Honda tall shield on the bike when I bought it and switched back to stock due to buffeting.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    599
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I find that a slight forward lean helps significantly with tailbone issues. I removed the risers that were on my bike when I bought it for that reason.

    I had a Honda tall shield on the bike when I bought it and switched back to stock due to buffeting.
    Are you running stock seat? About to go eat lunch and ship your package btw.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Senior Member What an idiot....road trip.
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    365
    The PO had some extra padding added to the seat, but this is in general. It helps take some load off my back as well.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Similar Threads

  1. Yosemite Off Road Trip
    By JDE in forum Touring and Traveling
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 7th June 2016, 09:41
  2. Taking a 2200 mile round trip road trip in 2 days!!
    By mtbmike in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 20th April 2015, 19:35
  3. First Road Trip on the NC
    By danrev in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 9th September 2014, 15:15
  4. My October Road Trip
    By wgwgoldwing in forum Touring and Traveling
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25th November 2012, 17:39
  5. First road trip on the NC
    By Beemerphile in forum Touring and Traveling
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 6th September 2012, 04:05

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •