Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Motorcycle Insurance for the NC700X in the USA

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Gap insurance is to vehicle loans as PMI is home mortgages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except PMI is now tax deductible beginning last year. LOL

Senior Member Motorcycle Insurance for the NC700X in the USA ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    You said in eleven words what it took me about 500 words to say in my post ;-)
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x

Except GAP pays the owner’s debt on the quick depreciation. The vehicle drops in value faster than the debt is being paid. Lose and win for the owner.

PMI insures the banks interest and the owner pays the cost. Win win for the bank.

The real answer is don’t not go in debt on toys and depreciating vehicles.

Senior Member Motorcycle Insurance for the NC700X in the USA GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Gap and PMI both insure the owners debt to the lender. They both protect the lender from the debt being greater than the value of the asset (bike or house). And both get implemented when LTV gets too high (for a bike itís the combination of too low a down payment and fast depreciation, for a house itís too low a down payment, a long term so that principal doesnít drop meaningfully for years and generally fairly modest appreciation).

Senior Member Motorcycle Insurance for the NC700X in the USA dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I got curious and looked over my bike policies. I thought they were both equal but it appears the 2013 NC is much cheaper than my 2006 Vulcan Nomad. Just to have underinsured motorist on the Nomad policy is an extra $177/yr. I could have sworn my agent said they didn't offer underinsured motorist on their bike policies and that we could only get it on our autos. I guess I was wrong. And that may have spurred from what a different ins company told me, as I shopped around before landing with Allstate a year or two ago, who knows.

Here are my premiums for each

VULCAN NOMAD

AND THE NC700X

So total annual premium for the NC is $165/yr for full coverage with underinsured motorist. I think you'd be crazy not to carry such a cheap policy. One on my Nomad is questionable, however. If I ever crashed it and needed collision, and had to pay $500 deductible plus what that more expensive policy costs each year, it may not be worth it. I may look at minimizing the Nomad's policy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If you have your auto and bike polices with the same carrier ask if you can stack liability and Underinsured on the auto policy and extend UM to the bikes. Then you can remove UM on the bike policy, which can save you a ton of money.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Everything we own is with Allstate. Had to keep it all together to get coverage on our rental houses. When I was shopping around, it seemed as if most try to make it unaffordable if you only want part of your things insured with them, or like Allstate said, had to have all our stuff with them before they would write rental policies. They were cheaper than anybody else I shopped, except for our home. They were at $1260/yr on our house, and Alfa was around $1000 even. Which was great....until Alfa quoted our rental houses at god awful high rates, like nearly double what Allstate charged and it was for less coverage than we got with Allstate. Auto costed nearly double with Alfa what it was with Allstate too. Alfa's 6 month rates were comparable to Allstate's annual rates. So I ate the higher homeowner's policy with Allstate and moved all our stuff there, because overall everything else was cheaper.

For example though, previous homeowner's policy with Cincinnati through a local independent agent was only $802/yr. Our other policies with them were equally cheap and that was for good coverage too. I carried those policy packets from Cincinnati around to all the local agents after Cincinnati stopped selling residential policies through that independent agent, and nobody could touch those numbers. Went to Farmers, dropped off the packets and said I want comparable coverage and rates to this, she said she would work on it and call me back. Later that evening she called and said she couldn't even get close to it, that I could come get my old policy packets back whenever.....did not even try to quote me any numbers Lol. I absolutely hate shopping for insurance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 6th June 2019 at 19:51.