Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand.

Bike: Nc700x, 2015

Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand.

I'm sure this has been brought up before. I am very picky about my vehicles. I could get the bike to be upright and level by holding it so I got the idea to put the center stand down just far enough that it holds the bike level WITHOUT lifting the rear wheel,but if you take your foot off the post, itll fold back up. I then hold my foot on the centerstand post to keep pressure on it so that it doesn't fold back up, and reach over the check the oil dipstick. It's the most accurate way for me to keep the bike upright and level,BUT BE SURE TO KEEP PRESSURE ON THE CENTERSTAND. Hope this helps someone

Super Moderator Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    That is a good tip for ensuring the bike is upright and center. I assume you hold the clean dipstick cap in place without threading it in, then raise the bike slowly until both centerstand feet touch, while continuing to hold the cap in place, then lean the bike back onto the sidestand. Once again stable on the sidestand, you pull the stick out and check the level. Or do you try to do all the level checking while also holding the bike on a semi deployed centerstand?

Those of us who are less meticulous just check the level with the bike up on the centerstand. It can’t be much different than vertical on both wheels. The reason the Honda oil level spec is given for vertical on both wheels rather than on the centerstand is that the centerstand is an optional accessory not every owner would have.
    Last edited by 670cc; 11th March 2019 at 04:26.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: Nc700x, 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    That is a good tip for ensuring the bike is upright and center. I assume you hold the clean dipstick cap in place without threading it in, then raise the bike slowly until both centerstand feet touch, while continuing to hold the cap in place, then lean the bike back onto the sidestand. Once again stable on the sidestand, you pull the stick out and check the level. Or do you try to do all the level checking while also holding the bike on a semi deployed centerstand?

Those of us who are less meticulous just check the level with the bike up on the centerstand. It can’t be much different than vertical on both wheels. The reason the Honda oil level spec is given for vertical on both wheels rather than on the centerstand is that the centerstand is an optional accessory not every owner would have.
    When I tried it a little bit ago I put it on the side stand and took the cap off and dried it, from there I stood it up and semideployed the centerstand, and reached over and down, placing the dipstick in the hole without screwing it in. Checked it, then reached back over and screwed it in, then fully deployed the stand. I'm somewhat short at 5 foot 9 and it was easy for me to do thankfully. I do wish honda would make the centerstand standard on that bike

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I put it on the center stand to check the oil.
    I checked it on the stand and also just upright on two wheels. There isnít much of a difference.
    With my luck, I can see myself reaching over the bike like you describe one minute and the next the bike would fall on the floor with me on top. Iím not willing to take that risk.

JT

Senior Member Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand. GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    This seems risky to be so accurate when the acceptable level is a range.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Senior Member Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand.
    Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand.
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    If you really want to be super-accurate, it's much safer to put a short section of 2x4 under the front tire so both front & rear tires are roughly the same distance from the pavement.

And as a previous poster noted, the ideal oil level is a range and not an exact point on the dipstick. :-)
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 15th March 2019 at 02:41.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Quote Originally Posted by 15mtyler View Post
    ... I then hold my foot on the centerstand post to keep pressure on it so that it doesn't fold back up, and reach over the check the oil dipstick. It's the most accurate way for me to keep the bike upright and level,BUT BE SURE TO KEEP PRESSURE ON THE CENTERSTAND. Hope this helps someone
    This is the exact thing I was doing when the bike tipped away from me and fell against a parking shade frame. That prevented it from tipping all the way over and dumping most of the oil out of the crankcase when I was away from any source of re-supply, but it also scuffed the daylights out of the headlight cover.

I DONT RECOMMEND THIS METHOD BECAUSE OF THAT EXPERIENCE.

You can accomplish the same thing from the dipstick side by using your foot or feet a little more creatively. That allows you to leave the side stand down to prevent it tipping away from you, but itís still your own body preventing it tipping toward you. The better approach is to stop thinking it makes a big enough difference whether the bike is on the center stand or not when you check level. (-;
    Last edited by MZ5; 11th March 2019 at 13:42.

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Oily problem.....

Folks,

If someone is that precise about checking their oil wouldn't a cheap wheel chock like this one hold the bike upright?

https://www.amazon.com/Smartxchoices...a-457908176836

Slo_Rider
    Last edited by Slo_Rider; 11th March 2019 at 14:33.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I too check mine with it up on the center stand, close enough for me. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member Most accurate way to check oil with a centerstand. SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Wow! I didn't realize the things one should do to check an oil level.

I assume you are checking oil when the engine is warm, 2 -3 minutes after it's been shut off, per the owner's manual?

I guess I was spoiled by owning a Kawasaki 205R and 650R that both had a oil sight glass. All I had to do was get on the right side of the bike, squeeze the brake and pull the bike off its kickstand until upright and check the glass.

My oil is probably getting dark enough for me to see it on my silly dipstick now, so I'll try this tomorrow and see if there's a difference in level- kickstand versus centerstand.

Of course, this will be after I've run my bike the 3-5 minutes that the manual calls for! Maybe I'll take that time to ride down to the dealership to look at the new Versys! Ha ha!