Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 IssueRider Magazine April 2019 Issue kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever

Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue

Jenny Smith does a cover article on the 2018 NC750X. No link available for the article just yet.

Edit.

The first line of the article reads, "I'm just going to come right out and say it: Honda's NC750X is the best commuter bike out there right now."

The last line is: "And it looks good doing it."
    Last edited by kpinvt; 27th February 2019 at 07:38.

Bike: 2013 Honda F6B
    That Road Test by Jenny just about made up my mind for me. I've been lurking here gathering info about these bikes and am seriously considering replacing my 2013 F6B with a new NC750X DCT. I'll be getting with my dealer to see what we can do financially to make it happen. With a recent hip replacement and two "shot knees" at the age of 74, I'm finding an 840 lb bike just a bit much.
    I'll be asking my dealer to try to find a 2018 model as I like the red better than the blue.

Bike: 2013 f6b Goldwing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Rider View Post
    That Road Test by Jenny just about made up my mind for me. I've been lurking here gathering info about these bikes and am seriously considering replacing my 2013 F6B with a new NC750X DCT. I'll be getting with my dealer to see what we can do financially to make it happen. With a recent hip replacement and two "shot knees" at the age of 74, I'm finding an 840 lb bike just a bit much.
    I'll be asking my dealer to try to find a 2018 model as I like the red better than the blue.
    Amazing!! I'm 74 and ride a 2013 red f6b and have been watching every video and reading everything about this bike.

What I like:

ease of maintenance

all the technology that makes it safer such as traction control

I like the smaller size to park in tight places

the maneuverability

and of course the lighter weight

However; what I have doubts about is the ability to do 700 to 1000 miles a day on this bike which I need due to time limitations on my vacations. Yes, I'm retired but on limited funds. So I pick my destination and go for it. The other concern is tire wear. On the f6b I get 19,000 miles on the front tire and about 17,000 on the rear tire. So on a long trip I just start out with decent tires and don't have to worry about looking for tires. A lot of these smaller bikes for some reason don't get good tire wear.

Please keep us posted on what the dealer can do for you financially. Also, if you get to test drive it, is the center of gravity really lower than the f6b? I bought the f6b because of it's low center of gravity. The f6b is heavier but lower to the ground than the nc750.

Anyway, it was fun reading your post what with us being so similar in our situations.

Enjoy!!
    Tom

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by xgringo View Post
    Amazing!! I'm 74 and ride a 2013 red f6b and have been watching every video and reading everything about this bike.

What I like:

ease of maintenance

all the technology that makes it safer such as traction control

I like the smaller size to park in tight places

the maneuverability

and of course the lighter weight

However; what I have doubts about is the ability to do 700 to 1000 miles a day on this bike which I need due to time limitations on my vacations. Yes, I'm retired but on limited funds. So I pick my destination and go for it. The other concern is tire wear. On the f6b I get 19,000 miles on the front tire and about 17,000 on the rear tire. So on a long trip I just start out with decent tires and don't have to worry about looking for tires. A lot of these smaller bikes for some reason don't get good tire wear.

Please keep us posted on what the dealer can do for you financially. Also, if you get to test drive it, is the center of gravity really lower than the f6b? I bought the f6b because of it's low center of gravity. The f6b is heavier but lower to the ground than the nc750.

Anyway, it was fun reading your post what with us being so similar in our situations.

Enjoy!!
    Tom
    The bikes dont have problems doing 700-1000 miles a day. I did a saddle sore 1000 (1054 miles in 17 hours-from Indiana to Florida); stayed a couple of days in Floriday, then rode back to Indiana (shorter route-only 800 miles in 13 hours). Each year, ride from Indiana to the Smokies (KSL meets)-approx 400 miles in about 6 hours, ride around after I get there; we ride for hours at a time each day while there, and ride the 400 miles (usually a different route). OCR and many others on here have ridden to Alaska and back from the lower 48 (and OCR is in Galveston Tx)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Yes, all you need for long rides on an NC is a windshield that manages the wind for your size, and a seat modification/replacement and your good to go.
    Ride safe, Carl

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Besides countless 400-600 mile days I’ve done two documented Saddlesore 1000+ mile rides and one Bun Burner 1500+ miler on my NCs. All the bike needed was better wind management as provided by a Madstad windshield and winglets. Two of the three were on the stock seat. The bike gets 50 mpg at 80 mph, stable and able. If the rider is up to it the bike performs.

Tires last me about 8,000 miles.

Compared to my Goldwing the distance of the NCs center of gravity from the ground is probably close but it’s the seat height that comes into play. The NC seat is about 3 inches higher. The bike feels 100 lbs lighter than it is but reach to the ground makes it less handy at stops or when pushing it around with feet on the ground. IIRC my bike is about 3/4” taller than stock due to suspension adjustments. Stock bikes or lowered bikes would be more friendly in this regard.

I was first drawn to the NC by style then the economics of long term ownership and reliability.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2013 f6b Goldwing
    Thanks so much for the replies. I should have mentioned I never had a smaller bike. Five Harleys and a kawi Nomad and now the f6b. My plan is to go to an Eagle Rider in the spring and see if I can rent one for a couple of days. Then I'll know if it fits.

Thanks again for the great replies!!
    Tom

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue
    Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by xgringo View Post
    Thanks so much for the replies. I should have mentioned I never had a smaller bike. Five Harleys and a kawi Nomad and now the f6b. My plan is to go to an Eagle Rider in the spring and see if I can rent one for a couple of days. Then I'll know if it fits.

Thanks again for the great replies!!
    Tom
    Well, whatever you choose to replace those great cruisers you’ve been riding, you’re gonna feel like a kid again after dropping about 300 pounds.

I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....

Rider...........

Folks,

Any chance someone could put a link to the article here?

Slo_Rider

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Rider View Post
    Folks,

Any chance someone could put a link to the article here?

Slo_Rider
    Rider Magazine
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD