Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue

Super Moderator Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Meh. I didn’t bother to read the article, so I’m probably unqualified to comment. But, the truth is that we here collectively know far, far more about the NC700/750 than someone writing a magazine article. I alone most likely know far, far more about the NC than anyone writing a magazine article. Thus, I’ve quit reading any news about the NC because it’s typically full of mistakes and misinformation. Even Honda’s official web site specs had errors when first published about the US NC750X. I had to contact American Honda to ask them to fix their own web site mistakes.
    Last edited by 670cc; 2nd March 2019 at 07:24.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue
    Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Meh. I didn’t bother to read the article, so I’m probably unqualified to comment. But, the truth is that we here collectively know far, far more about the NC700/750 than someone writing a magazine article. I alone most likely know far, far more about the NC than anyone writing a magazine article. Thus, I’ve quit reading any news about the NC because it’s typically full of mistakes and misinformation. Even Honda’s official web site specs had errors when first published about the US NC750X. I had to contact American Honda to ask them to fix their own web site mistakes.
    A lot of truth to that. Heck, try even finding one of these bikes in a dealer showroom much less a salesperson who knows anything about ‘em. I feel bad for a newbie who is interested in one and trying to get educated. Hope he or she finds their way here before they give up!

I like Rider Mag and as a subscriber, I read every article and review - and at times, have to wince...

I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2018 NC750x DCT.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post

dduelin,

I meant the article.........I can't afford another magazine subscription.

Slo_Rider

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Rider View Post
    dduelin,

Slo_Rider
    I knew what you meant.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo_Rider View Post
    dduelin,

Slo_Rider
    Try the Library or the news stand ..........both are free.

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    I read the short review today. Here's what I picked up from it.

First thing- it's a 2018 model. Not bad, as I think I prefer that red color over the new 2019's blue that I'm starting to see (only in photos, of course).
    Second- it's a non-DCT. I think the DCT is what makes it the best commuter bike, as well as a very unique bike.
    Third- Her helmet fit in the frunk but she didn't list the size. It's a Nolan N100-5 modular, but there can be a difference in frunk fit if a helmet is Medium versus a Large, as is the case with my Shoei Neotec 1.0
    Fourth- Says the front brake lever is now adjustable. My 2016 has an adjustable brake lever, so it's not a new feature.
    Fifth- Says the brakes are linked, which is nice to know because Honda really hides that feature on it's website. Not mentioned in "Specs" but in "Innovations".

All in all, it's a nicely written review, like I've come to expect from Rider, which is the only one of 3 motorcycle magazines that I have kept my subscription to.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    I read the short review today. Here's what I picked up from it.

First thing- it's a 2018 model. Not bad, as I think I prefer that red color over the new 2019's blue that I'm starting to see (only in photos, of course).
    Second- it's a non-DCT. I think the DCT is what makes it the best commuter bike, as well as a very unique bike.
    Third- Her helmet fit in the frunk but she didn't list the size. It's a Nolan N100-5 modular, but there can be a difference in frunk fit if a helmet is Medium versus a Large, as is the case with my Shoei Neotec 1.0
    Fourth- Says the front brake lever is now adjustable. My 2016 has an adjustable brake lever, so it's not a new feature.
    Fifth- Says the brakes are linked, which is nice to know because Honda really hides that feature on it's website. Not mentioned in "Specs" but in "Innovations".

All in all, it's a nicely written review, like I've come to expect from Rider, which is the only one of 3 motorcycle magazines that I have kept my subscription to.
    Regarding your fifth bullet point: Does the article say that the test bike (2018 manual trans) has linked brakes, or that it does not have link brakes but that linked brakes are available on the USA DCT model only?

On the Honda site for the 2018 model NC750X, the innovations page mentions Available Combined ABS. This suggests that combined ABS is available on, or rather included on, the USA DCT model, but not on the manual transmission model. Did the article make that clear, or was it just another piece of misinformation typically found in magazine articles?

Looking at the test bike’s parts listing (2018 US NC750X manual transmission), the rear brake is a simple master cylinder connected to the rear caliper. It is not combined with the front brake.
    Last edited by 670cc; 5th March 2019 at 06:42.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

The 2019 Rider article is just wrong on the brakes, as is apparently Honda's information that can be found online and in print. They haven't been linked or 'combined' on USA market bikes since 2013. The pictures of the test bike and bikes on the Honda US website clearly show a 2 piston Nissin front caliper with a single brake line. Linked brake models have a three piston Nissin caliper with 2 brake hoses leading to it.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    The 2019 Rider article is just wrong on the brakes, as is apparently Honda's information that can be found online and in print. They haven't been linked on USA market bikes since 2013. The pictures of the test bike and bikes on the Honda US website clearly show a 2 piston Nissin front caliper with a single brake line. Linked brake models have a three piston Nissin caliper with 2 brake hoses leading to it.
    Dave,
    I totally agree with your points regarding the 3 pot front caliper and that style of brake linking disappearing after 2013. Is there any possibility that a newer linking system is used that uses the ABS unit for some type of combining or linking? I don’t own, nor have I inspected a newer DCT model to see how the newer ABS brakes are plumbed, so that’s why I ask the question.

But if the mentioned article states that the US model manual transmission test bike has linked or combined brakes, that is clearly a false statement.
    Last edited by 670cc; 5th March 2019 at 06:48.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Dave,
    I totally agree with your points regarding the 3 pot front caliper and that style of brake linking disappearing after 2013. Is there any possibility that a newer linking system is used that uses the ABS unit for some type of combining or linking? I don’t own, nor have I inspected a newer DCT model to see how the newer ABS brakes are plumbed, so that’s why I ask the question.

But if the mentioned article states that the US model manual transmission test bike has linked or combined brakes, that is clearly a false statement.
    I don't think so. The part numbers for the modulators is the same but the model code is different. I checked a 2015 NC700X against a 2018 NC750X so the model code would be different but not the part number.

The easy thing to do is lift the front wheel clear of the ground, turn the key ON, press the rear brake and see if any brake pressure is applied to the front wheel. This action doesn't brake the front wheel on my 2015 which also has 'Combined Anti-Lock brakes' on Honda US Powersports site. Someone go out and check their NC750X in US spec.

Perhaps Honda uses 'combined ABS' to denote a two channel ABS system that controls anti-lock braking pressure individually to each wheel circuit instead of older single channel ABS systems that modulated both wheel circuits together. It's worth noting that Honda doesn't use the word 'linked', only 'combined'. The magazine uses linked and combined in the same sentence. ".....[DCT bikes have] combined ABS, which applies front brake when the rear is applied as well as preventing lock-up." When I get hard on the rear brake to trigger ABS the front lever doesn't vibrate. If I overbrake the front lever to trigger ABS the front lever vibrates but I can't recall the rear brake pedal vibrating. This separation of activation by wheel would indicate the brakes are modulated in two separate circuits.

I went back and looked up the information that Honda released on the New Concept (NC700X, NC700S, Integra) bikes back in 2012. It appeared on the global corporate website. I printed all of it for a notebook I've put together since 2012. The brake section described "Combined ABS*1" as a front/rear wheel linked braking system that has been integrated with an anti-lock brake system (ABS). I included images of the details.

I believe that much or all of common information on the NC bikes was supplied to journalists in a press packet at the global release of the bike in November 2011 because the next few months saw many ride reviews of the bike that had nearly word-for-word descriptions of the various system (overall description, engine, transmission, chassis, brakes, wheels) design briefs combined with Honda's solutions. Many details were repeated many times in many outlets. We know that Honda deleted the linked brake system on US spec bikes on 2014 and later 700 and 750 models but I think Rider either goes back to their original 2012 article or Honda still supplies information details with test bikes to aid the journalist's review that no longer apply to US models. The writer wouldn't necessarily know the misinformation at the time.

I still like reading magazine reviews of bikes I own or have owned, if only for bias confirmation.

Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue-img_2858-jpg

Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue-img_2857-jpg
    Last edited by dduelin; 5th March 2019 at 08:18.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD