Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue

Super Moderator Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I think you nailed it, Dave. Honda currently uses the term "combined ABS." Some people, perhaps including this author, may be stretching that term to mean "linked brakes", which is not the same thing. Again, I'm working only from the discussion in this thread, as I don't have access to the Rider article.

What annoys me is the misinformation spread by authors, salesmen, etc, is probably absorbed uncontested by most consumers. They say, "Sounds great; I'll buy it!"

Edit to add:
    Here is the Honda Powersports web site language used to describe the brakes on the 2018 NC750X. Honda uses the words combined and linked, so now it's clear as mud.

"Disc Brakes with Available Combined ABS

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC750X great stopping power. The DCT model comes with ABS brakes that are linked rear-to-front for added stopping power, even under challenging conditions."
    Last edited by 670cc; 5th March 2019 at 10:06.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I think you nailed it, Dave. Honda currently uses the term "combined ABS." Some people, perhaps including this author, may be stretching that term to mean "linked brakes", which is not the same thing. Again, I'm working only from the discussion in this thread, as I don't have access to the Rider article.

What annoys me is the misinformation spread by authors, salesmen, etc, is probably absorbed uncontested by most consumers. They say, "Sounds great, I'll buy it!"

Edit to add:
    Here is the Honda Powersports web site language used to describe the brakes on the 2018 NC750X. Honda uses the words combined and linked, so now it's clear as mud.

"Disc Brakes with Available Combined ABS

Single front and rear disc brakes give the NC750X great stopping power. The DCT model comes with ABS brakes that are linked rear-to-front for added stopping power, even under challenging conditions."
    Don't be so hard on them, it's the world we live in. My personal 'it's just wrong' NC favorite is the "half of a Jazz [Fit] engine" description that pops up all the time. Uttered as a joke, by a probably brilliant engineer and probably equally nervous public speaker, at that 2011 press launch in a room full of international journalists the description is far from true yet is endlessly repeated.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    But if the mentioned article states that the US model manual transmission test bike has linked or combined brakes, that is clearly a false statement.
    No, they never insinuated that.
    It doesn't help that Honda's own website is confusing us.

I think Dave is right- that they are probably just reusing old info.

Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual Clutch
    Quote Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
    Jenny Smith does a cover article on the 2018 NC750X. No link available for the article just yet.

Edit.

The first line of the article reads, "I'm just going to come right out and say it: Honda's NC750X is the best commuter bike out there right now."

The last line is: "And it looks good doing it."
    This is exactly what I tried to tell a salesman at a dealer a few months ago.
    Honda came out with that for beginning or returning riders line, and they have been stuck on it ever since.

If you want to ride more, get a bike that you can run errands on, and that is comfortable in traffic.

Super Moderator Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I think I’m done forever done with motorcycle publications. I’ve just read the Motorcycle Consumer News (US version) review of the Kawasaki Versys-X 300. The authors clearly are incapable of reviewing the motorcycle as it applies to it’s intended audience and purpose. When I got to the line that said, “One tester pondered if the engine was a joke.”, I pondered if the article was a joke! The tester’s comment stated, “Normally, I’m rubbing my shoulders from having my arms jerked by the latest Kawasaki Rocket . . .”, so that tells you the point of reference these authors have. The article made numerous references like meager engine output, outgrow this bike quickly, dismal power, torque, and woefully underpowered. Do they realize it is a 296cc engine, and that 34 hp for such an engine is quite respectable? Do they realize there is a large audience for a bike of this size, and many are seasoned riders, not all beginners? These horsepower crazed guys should never have been assigned to this review, and the magazine editor should never have allowed it to print.

I once had great respect for MCN and their down to earth, relevant, unbiased reviews. It’s very clear now that the MCN I once admired no longer exists today.
    Last edited by 670cc; 18th March 2019 at 10:23.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2013 Honda F6B
    "It’s very clear now that the MCN I once admired no longer exists today. "

Totally agree 670cc. About a year ago(maybe a little longer)MCN almost went out of print due to staff changes and other things. When the new staff put out their 1st issue, the biggest thing between the covers was a comparison test of sunglasses. I was really disgruntled and almost didn't renew, but I did for another year to see what would happen. Well, the entire magazine has undergone change and not for the better. I won't be renewing after this subscription expires. That will leave me with only Rider, RoadRunner, and American Motorcyclist to find their way to my mailbox.

Senior Member Rider Magazine April 2019 Issue SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    It's a shame that ALL vehicle magazines are like that. Doing tests on super cars, superbikes- whatever is state of the art. And their readers eat that crap up.

They need to have reviews written by the intended user. Especially with motorcycles.

The goal should be to get more people riding and you won't get that by trying to sell people a $25,000 bike that we can't even afford to insure.
    I won't renew my subscriptions to Cycleworld or Motorcyclist. It's one thing to do what they are doing, which seems like glorifying a mythical lifestyle.

But my goal is to get more people out of their cages and onto fun, efficient, high-mpg bikes. A mag that shows and encourages people how to do that would probably be able to increase subscriptions and not have to become a quarterly coffeetable book.

Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual Clutch
    They should state what bikes the reviewers own in the articles.
    If it says they own a $15,000+ exotic, I'm pretty sure they aren't going to care for a daily commuter.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I didn't read that Versys 300 article yet. Doesn't sound encouraging. I quit Car & Driver, Road & Track, and the like long, long ago for the same reasons. Completely out of touch writers who, at least in the case of the car mags, don't even write well.