Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: My first fall and its consequences

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin area
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by VersusAllOdds View Post
    550$ is for the Fork assembly, which I would interpret as not just the tubes. This is the designation of the parts: 51400-MGS-D31 or 51500-MGS-D31.
    As long as the internal bits aren't damaged it is pretty easy to rebuild.
    Messy, but not overly complicated or finicky to put back together.
    The toughest part for me was driving the top seal into the seat; for this, if you buy an extra seal or two you can stack them.
    I put an extra steel spacer on the stack, and used a PVC tubing connection as a slide hammer.

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    As long as the internal bits aren't damaged it is pretty easy to rebuild.
    Messy, but not overly complicated or finicky to put back together.
    The toughest part for me was driving the top seal into the seat; for this, if you buy an extra seal or two you can stack them.
    I put an extra steel spacer on the stack, and used a PVC tubing connection as a slide hammer.
    Easy or not - doesn't really help me, given that the dealer mechanic is going to rebuild them. The problem for me is the price of the new part, which cannot be circumvented...

    Come to think of it, how often are forks bent after a fall?

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin area
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by VersusAllOdds View Post
    Easy or not - doesn't really help me, given that the dealer mechanic is going to rebuild them. The problem for me is the price of the new part, which cannot be circumvented...

    Come to think of it, how often are forks bent after a fall?
    Frontal impact I'd think pretty often.

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    19
    An update - I went back to my home country for a vacation, and took the bent forks with me. A guy who works exclusively in the field of straightening bent steel got them both fixed for 70$. So there you go a 1030$ save.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    289
    Be sure to let us know how it rides when you get it back together.

    JT

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Qatar
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Be sure to let us know how it rides when you get it back together.

    JT
    Sure will...

    One bad news though. I didn't bring the stem (or whatever that triangle is called), so the guy who does the straightening told me that I will probably need a new one (because it usually distorts when forks do).

    So there you go, another 4 weeks waiting for another part, which I'll pay 300$ instead of 35$. But ok, I did make the most important save.

    When I finally start riding again, I'm gonna find an after marked exhaust system, given that Honda's cost ~1350$.

  7. #17
    Senior Member My first fall and its consequences dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North FL USA
    Posts
    3,752
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    not to hi-jack the thread.. but wow Dave, i too like to ride like that for lunch or even better "PIE" haha. That is amazing that you saw wild flowers all along the roadside. We just lost our last bit of snow here last week!!! (now back to our regularly scheduled program). :{)
    Oops I didn’t mean to post a ride in this thread. I moved it to an appropriate location.

    PS Glad he got the forks fixed for little money.
    Dave

    GL1800
    NC700XD




  8. #18
    Senior Member My first fall and its consequences
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    190
    Quote Originally Posted by VersusAllOdds View Post
    Sure will...

    One bad news though. I didn't bring the stem (or whatever that triangle is called), so the guy who does the straightening told me that I will probably need a new one (because it usually distorts when forks do).

    So there you go, another 4 weeks waiting for another part, which I'll pay 300$ instead of 35$. But ok, I did make the most important save.

    When I finally start riding again, I'm gonna find an after marked exhaust system, given that Honda's cost ~1350$.
    I don't know about NC triples specifically, but I've bent a few triples in my day and dealt with plenty more

    the way I check if they're bent is that I find a very flat surface and see if the part rocks. Obviously the ideal surface is a granite surface plate at a machine shop, but adequate surfaces include granite counters in kitchens (if you can get away with it) or a piece of glass (even a mirror).

    I managed to salvage a sink cutout from a granite countertop to use for this purpose.

Similar Threads

  1. Weebles wobble but they don't fall down.
    By Dave Modisette in forum Track Tech & Riding Techniques
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 23rd November 2015, 14:18
  2. Fall Ride
    By drdubb in forum I'm going for a ride, you comin'?
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 22nd October 2015, 19:56
  3. Fall riding jacket ?
    By pprior in forum Main Lobby / New Member Section
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 13th October 2014, 10:13
  4. Deer fall from the sky now.
    By ziggie in forum The Bar
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th October 2014, 16:45
  5. Rev'it 2013 Fall/Winter Preview
    By admin in forum NC700 News
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14th September 2013, 08:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •