Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Took a Spill

Bike: 2014 NC700XD, 2007 Piaggio MP3
    Quote Originally Posted by GgarryP View Post
    Deals Gap...Tail of the Dragon
    Wow, talk about deciding to ride again! As I re-read this thread it was like your accident just happened and then it turns out you are riding the Tail, like, right now!
    Congrats on the recovery. Wishing you the best.

Bike: NC700X
    I finally bit the gravel last Thursday night. Being as I live in the desert, we don't see much rain so I try to be extra careful when there is. I was completing my 18 mile commute home from downtown Albuquerque and literally turning into my driveway. In a flash, I'm down... bike kind of tossed me forward. My Acerbis hand guard prevented any damage to the bike, my right ankle and shoulder were not so lucky. Got a little nauseated immediately and the engine shut off right away. Right arm didn't want to work so it was a struggle to get off my helmet. After I did, I decided that I really didn't want to leave it laying at the base of my driveway. So I did the old "use the back up to pickup the bike" trick. Once it was up I realized I was on the wrong side to access the kickstand. My ankle was still killing me too. Worked my way around it and got the stand down. Pushed it onto the sidewalk and made the long limp in to explain to the missus that the motorcycle and I needed a hand. She graciously came out and helped me umph it into the garage. The throttle was stuck from the compression of the hand guard but otherwise ok. Put ice on ankle and shoulder until early am. Around 6 I elected to go the emergency room as things were not feeling as they should. They x-rayed the ankle and shoulder and found a hairline fracture on the right ankle. Nothing visible with the right shoulder. My left shoulder already has a torn tendon so I know what I may be in for. I wear Olympia Mesh Gear here as it's pretty hot this time of year. I was also helmeted and rain geared over the mesh. I need to get real bike boots as I was wearing Blundstones which have no protection for the ankle. I love my Shinko 705's but I may have contributed to my demise by mounting the rear the wrong way. The point of the tread is pointing toward the back of the bike, which I knew was not the way it should. It was so hard to mount it originally that I decided to try it and see how it went.... Dry pavement, no problems. Wet pavement, big problem. It went down like it was on ice, and it wasn't. I think the rear slid and the front followed suit as I turned right on a slight downhill arc toward the driveway. Thank goodness I was on a silent neighborhood street when i did bite the asphalt. Anyway, I'm in a walking boot and a sling and when I can use my shoulder again I plan to remount the rear the right way. Already loosened the throttle from the hand guard and it seems fine. Happy trails to everyone out there.

Senior Member Took a Spill GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    Dang, sorry to hear that. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Senior Member Took a Spill
    Took a Spill
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Wow, that was a bad end to the day. Ditto on a speedy recovery!

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Senior Member Took a Spill GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    A few Killboy shots from Tail of the Dragon

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Took a Spill
    Glad you’re back in the groove!

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS
    Glad you're okay.
    I had a bad accident, where some lady decided that she didn't want me to get in front of her and sped up, knocking me off my bike when I went to change lanes. Frame damage totaled the bike but my injuries were minor in comparison. I'd already be up and riding but because IL law said she was in the right because she was already in the lane, I couldn't sue her. So all the insurance money I got for the bike went to pay off my medical bills. So I have to start saving all over again. Unfortunately this year we aren't getting as much overtime, so its going to take much longer raise funds for a bike. And I refuse to do a go-fund-me for a non-necessity. I'll get a bike when I can afford a bike.
    My point being, you should never let anyone stop you from doing something you enjoy. My wife didn't want me to have a bike in the first place. I enjoyed riding for two years before the accident. Did I regret it? Absolutely not. Would I do it again? Abso-freaking-loutly. Life is too short to live in fear and die in regret.
    Techrat

Took a Spill
    Quote Originally Posted by Techrat View Post
    Glad you're okay.
    I had a bad accident, where some lady decided that she didn't want me to get in front of her and sped up, knocking me off my bike when I went to change lanes. Frame damage totaled the bike but my injuries were minor in comparison. I'd already be up and riding but because IL law said she was in the right because she was already in the lane, I couldn't sue her. So all the insurance money I got for the bike went to pay off my medical bills. So I have to start saving all over again. Unfortunately this year we aren't getting as much overtime, so its going to take much longer raise funds for a bike. And I refuse to do a go-fund-me for a non-necessity. I'll get a bike when I can afford a bike.
    My point being, you should never let anyone stop you from doing something you enjoy. My wife didn't want me to have a bike in the first place. I enjoyed riding for two years before the accident. Did I regret it? Absolutely not. Would I do it again? Abso-freaking-loutly. Life is too short to live in fear and die in regret.
    Techrat
    Some screaming good deals on some used and even left-over new out there. Hope you land back on two wheels sooner than later.