Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Took a Spill

Super Moderator Took a Spill 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    if I was getting something with 3 wheels I'd at least want it to lean properly rather than ride like a quad
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post

Hmmmm.....
    I wonder if maybe other people have differing opinions about this?
    Well, in all fairness, Junkie did use the word “I”.

In reality, I, too, would want a leaning trike, if I had to get a trike. But obviously many people enjoy quads and non-leaning trikes, as is evident by the vast sales numbers.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2014 nc700x dct
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    if I was getting something with 3 wheels I'd at least want it to lean properly rather than ride like a quad
    I would want it to fly actually but I dont see anything like that for 9k. It's still better than a cage

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post

Hmmmm.....
    I wonder if maybe other people have differing opinions about this?
    It's funny, with all the hate. Personally, I really like the looks of the new Can-Am Ryker, and the price is actually reasonable. But everyone has their own views. If I ever get to where I can't do 2 wheels, something like that, for me, is a viable alternative to being caged up.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    that Ryker is pretty cool looking. Now if we could just shoe-horn one of our NC motors into it and get the mileage we all have come to love and enjoy!! (sorry, now back to our regularly scheduled program). :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Wow Garry, that was a pretty wild spill. So glad you were not hurt further and seem to be on the mends fairly quickly. Even at 54 i am realizing i am not as agile as i was years ago and am noticing my own challenges. Here's to your speedy recovery and to continued riding confidence! Stay in the saddle as long as you can Garry as you contemplate your options. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Super Moderator Took a Spill 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckyon View Post
    It's funny, with all the hate. Personally, I really like the looks of the new Can-Am Ryker, and the price is actually reasonable. But everyone has their own views. If I ever get to where I can't do 2 wheels, something like that, for me, is a viable alternative to being caged up.
    I’ve looked at the Ryker with the idea of getting one not for me, but for my wife when she no longer wants to ride a big scooter. I applaud CanAm’s effort to make an affordable “entry” level machine to attract a new crop of riders (Ryder’s?). Here CanAm can bring in new riders, many who don’t already possess the automatic reactions inherent in riding a two wheeler and will feel at home on a non-leaning machine the steers right to go right. Also, their idea of using a stripped base model to keep the price down is a good concept, but watch out, as those extras could really run up the price.

Sorry to hijack the thread with three wheel talk, Garry. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Garry, you mentioned “pushing it a little.” I haven’t reached your age yet, but even so I’ve never been an aggressive rider. I ride very well within the limits of me and machine, and I actually enjoy the ride better that way. If I should begin to ride agressively, I’m later remorseful of my behavior. I guess it keeps my in line. Your story, while tragic for you, reminds me and others to ride with our safety in mind.

Again, take care of yourself, mentally and physically. Stay in touch.
    Last edited by 670cc; 23rd February 2019 at 10:26.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Took a Spill
    Took a Spill
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Hated to read of your spill - but relieved to see that you weren’t hurt worse. Unfortunately, while age alone isn’t necessarily a predictor of poor judgement as a cause of an accident - age does seem to have a lot to do with recovery times and ones mental state in the aftermath.

I’m sure I’d be thinking similar thoughts if I were in your shoes - that’s one old guy to another - but since motorcycling is pretty much my only passion/hobby/pastime, I’m also pretty sure I’d try to transition to a three wheel of some sort (sidecar being one) before giving up on the sport.

Hope you heal up quick and “find your way back”. Best wishes to you.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2014 NC700X, 2018 GL 1800 Tour DCT
    There is a three wheeler that leans, the review I read said it was a much better ride than they thought it would be.

Yamaha Niken

Took a Spill-niken-2-jpg

Senior Member Took a Spill New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Sorry to hear of your spill Gary. I can understand how painful broken ribs can be, I have broken them twice. The first time I was about thirty and broke two, those weren't too bad but I had also broken a vertebrae and that took a month to heal. The second time was last summer when I broke four. The initial xrays showed only two and we found out later that two more were broken but closer to the spine so the entire ribs were moving and causing damage. Now that I'm 54 it was two months before I was able to feel like a person again, get back to work and get back up on the bike.

Of course we are different people and only you know you but I need certain things to keep me going. I'm not sure that riding is it for me because I could probably do without but for you it may be what keeps you young. That said, we do need to learn from our mistakes to keep growing and of course, be more careful as we age because our bodies get more fragile no matter what we do.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Commuter Extraordinaire Took a Spill
    Took a Spill
    Bike: NC700X
    Thanks for sharing your story. I think it is good for rides new and experienced to share in someone else's accident. Your story could be the thing that makes a person think twice before making a similar mistake. I wish you a speedy recovery although I hear it takes some time for rib injuries to fully recover.

As for your "calling it quits". Only you can make that decision. I have been in three very bad motorcycle accidents with the first being when I was 22. I am now 54. Directly after the wreck, I was very shaken and there was a period where I was much more apprehensive and nervous while riding but after a couple months I was better. I had leaned from my mistake though and have never put myself back in a similar situation. We all know the inherent risk of riding a bike, there are those situation we cannot control and there are those that we can. Yours sounds like one you could have controlled and you WILL learn from that mistake. I'm a very aggressive rider too but I still learned from my wrecks and try to avoid similar situation while still riding this bike as hard as it will let me. Like the others said, give yourself some time.