Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors?

Bike: '12 NC700XC

Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors?

I知 about to put my third set of pads on (OE plus two replacements, including the ones I知 about to put on). I have 48k miles on the bike, having essentially not ridden for most of the past 2 or more years.

I haven稚 measured the thickness of my rotors. If I take the bike tomorrow, and if I remember, I値l grab a mic during lunch and measure the thickness. I only have calipers at home.

How many of you have had to replace rotors? How many miles did you get out of the factory rotors? What made you replace them? Minimum thickness? Grooved and you couldn稚 get them resurfaced?

Did you buy new Honda rotors? If not, whose did you buy?

Curious. Thanks.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I'm at 78,000 miles and still using the original rotors. I've used 2 or 3 sets of sintered and one set of semi sintered after the stock set were worn out. At least one of those sintered brake pads sets still had plenty of life when they got changed out.

Miles aren't a great measurement. Where you ride, when you ride and how you ride will make a huge difference, the only way to tell for sure is to measure the thickness of the rotor, the manual has a minimum thickness that's safe to use

Edit the semi sintered didn't last long and one of the sets of sintered got covered in the oil from my forks when my forks had a leak.
    2 sets of sintered and OEM set I wore down, the rest got changed with plenty of miles left
    Last edited by rippin209; 7th February 2019 at 16:51.

Senior Member Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The only rotors I wore out on a motorcycle were on a BMW. I've never worn one out on a Honda. My ST1300 has about 195,000 miles on original rotors. Always OEM Honda pads.

Brakes get used in vastly different ways of course. I've ridden just over 30,000 miles on two NCs and haven't replaced brake pads yet.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    I had a 83 Gold wing that had aftermarket pads that ate the rotors. They dished ( no longer flat) and there is never enough material to refinish and still be over the minimum thickness. The Goldwing symptom was soft brake ( not firm).

Generally speaking the stock Honda pads are gentle on rotor wear.
    Last edited by showkey; 5th February 2019 at 20:01.

Super Moderator Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I haven't worn out an NC rotor and I doubt that I ever will. My 38,600 mile front pads could almost pass for new. But I'm posting because I did replace a front rotor once. I apparently bent it slightly while changing a tire, and it was pulsing slightly. I could feel a slight ridge in one spot but couldn't measure the runout with a dial indicator. I looked at the aftermarket NC disks, but I didn't have full confidence in them. I gambled on a used OEM disk from eBay and it worked great and fixed my problem. So, if I did need a disk because it was worn out, I'd look at eBay take offs, find a reputable seller that accepts returns, and try my luck again.

I don't think most motorcycle disks have enough material to turn them down before reaching minimum thickness, so replacement is likely your only solution.

The OEM 2012 NC700X disk from Honda is pricey, but you probably could already guess that:

45251-MGS-D31
    DISK, FR. BRAKE (SUNSTAR)

MSRP: $413.15
    Dealer Price: $330.52
    Last edited by 670cc; 5th February 2019 at 20:18.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Commuter Extraordinaire Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors?
    Who has worn out & replaces their brake rotors?
    Bike: NC700X
    I have over 60K on the bike and only changed the front pads once. Rotors are fine. Brakes still grab like the day I bought it. I have only used OEM pads.

Bike: NC700XDF, PC800, DR650
    49000 miles on mine, just installed third set of front pads. Rotor is near minimum thickness now and will be replaced soon.
    Mostly 2 up riding, on road only.
    Last edited by T S N; 7th February 2019 at 04:43.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Thanks, guys. Some of you know I basically parked the NC for a year or two. Even tried to sell it, but now I'm back on it and will be riding more again. I didn't get to mic the rotors the other day, but I plan to be back in the office tomorrow and I'll ride in. Or, if the plan goes amiss again, I'll just throw the new pads on and forget about it. (-:

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X DCT (Black)
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Thanks, guys. Some of you know I basically parked the NC for a year or two. Even tried to sell it, but now I'm back on it and will be riding more again. I didn't get to mic the rotors the other day, but I plan to be back in the office tomorrow and I'll ride in. Or, if the plan goes amiss again, I'll just throw the new pads on and forget about it. (-:
    Pads are quick, easy and inexpensive (comparatively speaking). I am barely a tinkerer when it comes to maintenance, but I have replaced my pads.
    https://raven.deckyon.com

Kentuckiana NC Forum Group:
    https://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups/kentuckiana-ncs.html

NC700 Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/NC700x