Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Injector cleaners?

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    If you want to clean carbon off of pistons and valves, IMO your best option is water. I know it sounds funny...

If I had an engine prone to carbon buildup, I'd install a semi-permanent setup so I could do water injection when I wanted to. A small hose running from the intake (preferably after the TB), normally capped. When it's time to clean things up get the bike nice and hot, and then connect the hose to a water reservoir - preferably while riding at a decent throttle position. Obviously you don't want an excessive flow rate, but that's unlikely to happen with a small hose.

Fuel injectors are a different story though.
    I've used water on old carburetor engines.
    Get engine up to operating temp, turn the idle up a little, hold the butterfly open with a screw driver and use a rag or sponge to drop water into the carburetor, use enough water it makes a difference in how the engines running without stalling or causing so much ping or misfire you mess up the internals.

Like you said, fuel injection is different so I'm thinking of running a bottle of Techron and then a 4oz. Bottle of Red Line through the gas tank a week before my next oil change.
    I use around two and a half gallons of gas a day for a four day work week, I figure I'll add 1/4 of the Techron bottle before fill up and the next Monday fill up I'll add the Red Line, then change fluids that Friday.
    Last edited by rippin209; 29th January 2019 at 08:56.

Senior Member Injector cleaners?
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Carbon buildup on pistons and valves is a thing on all engines. That's what water will clean. I question how much a fuel system treatment will do there.

Gummy fuel residue is the main problem on the fuel delivery component, whether it's EFI or carb. The water is unlikely to touch that.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    Carbon buildup on pistons and valves is a thing on all engines. That's what water will clean. I question how much a fuel system treatment will do there.

Gummy fuel residue is the main problem on the fuel delivery component, whether it's EFI or carb. The water is unlikely to touch that.
    On my old truck and car engines I did that to they had so much carbon build up (mostly in the heads) that oil didn't circulate property.
    I've never had fuel problems on an old vehicle, carburetors suck air and gas down like a toilet bowl, besides changing jets is almost always easier then changing injectors.

The fuel and the engines have changed a lot and now, at least in the short term that residue is more likely to be a problem I think