Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spilled fuel

Member Spilled fuel New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X

Angry Spilled fuel

I seem to have a problem with spilling a few drops of fuel on my seat when I fuel up. I have gotten to the point where I grab a couple of paper towels, shake the nozzle when I pull it out and carefully tip it back as I remove it from the tank. But today I did all that and spilled more on my seat than usual. Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention seeing as how this was my 46th fuel up but I never had this big of a problem fueling a standard tank, which I usually did while sitting on the bike.

Anyone have any tips about what I'm doing wrong? It may be only a few drops but I don't like getting it on the seat and with the mileage this bike gets even a few drops can actually affect the overall mileage.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Senior Member Spilled fuel GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Maybe have your prostate checked?Spilled fuel

Sorry - couldnít resist. The ball was just hanging over the plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    I seem to have a problem with spilling a few drops of fuel on my seat when I fuel up.
    Anyone have any tips about what I'm doing wrong? It may be only a few drops but I don't like getting it on the seat and with the mileage this bike gets even a few drops can actually affect the overall mileage.
    Waaaaaay over thinking this.........
    Check the math..........one ounce spilled ( which is way more than a few drops) especially when it on the seat is .008 of a gallon.
    So the difference in 3 gallon fill up on 70 mpg is 69.88.

Just think of how much gas was left in the hose on the pump........especially if the last guy tipped the hose up to get every last drop that he paid for...........and you were the next guy in line ?

Bike: NC700XDF, PC800, DR650
    I just tip the nozzle up, let it drip, then swing away quick before the next drop falls.
    I also only fill on the side stand, from the left side. Easier to tip the nozzle far enough that way.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Donít hold the filler nozzle over the seat.

When you are done filling, lift the nozzle, let it drip in the tank. Then turn it up and move it to the side of the bike over the hand rail. If it is never over the seat, it cannot drip on it.

JT

Senior Member Spilled fuel SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    If I try to fill up with as much gas as I can, I will have to keep squeezing the trigger lightly until I can get the gas to pour slowly as I watch it.

Sometimes I squeeze a bit too hard and get a blast of fuel that hits that metal rim thing down inside the filler neck. That's how I get a few specks of gas on my seat.
    But by the time I grab a paper towel out of the rack, or the rack over at the other island... the gas has already evaporated.

And never fill up a gas tank while seated on the bike. Besides how unsafe this could be (gas in the lap, fire from not being grounded, etc) I have no idea how one puts their credit card in the thing... Is this in a state where you have to pay an attendant? In cash?

Bike: 2012 NC700XA
    It seems a bit odd to me that you are spilling on your seat when you have to tip up your pillion seat to get to the fuel tank. All the drips should be under the seat shouldn't they?

Member Spilled fuel New Commuter700's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    It seems a bit odd to me that you are spilling on your seat when you have to tip up your pillion seat to get to the fuel tank. All the drips should be under the seat shouldn't they?
    No, I don't sit on that one. My seat is not far from the fill tube.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Commuter Extraordinaire Spilled fuel
    Spilled fuel
    This won't work with all situations but I generally use the same gas station on either side of my work commute. I have found that some pumps have less pressure than others and I have made a mental note to which nozzles those are. I go out of my way to use the same pump every time so that I reduce the number of times I splash a little fuel on the seat. I personally don't care too much but I obviously don't want a bunch of fuel on my pants. I only have the splash issue towards the end of topping off the tank. This is where I do quick short bursts of fuel and try not to aim at the "splash guard". Whatever that metal piece is called. A pump with lower pressure really helps here. Plus, if your trying to fill the tank to the very very top, that is what is causing you problems too.

Senior Member Spilled fuel ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    591 drops in a fluid ounce. A couple of drops will not impact your fuel efficiency As posted, keep the nozzle from hovering over the seat and your problem will be solved. My seat is almost 3 inches from the fuel fill.

After filling up just tilt the nozzle skyward and sweep it out from under the raised pillion. Easy-peasy !
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540