Page 93 of 109 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I took a nice ride up a local mountain pass again, but this time i tried a different FS trail. I ended up dropping out 2 miles from one of my favorite PIE shops!! :{P
    2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?-harrison-creamery-jpg
    Strawberry/Rhubarb with Mocha Almond Fudge Ice Cream! :{P
    Last edited by Rapturee; 23rd August 2019 at 15:16. Reason: picture
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Received my Tusk boxes. Need to figure out how I want to mount them.
    These are the Ďlargeí size.

All reports are accurate. Welds are kinda lumpy and powder coat is pretty good on the outside surface but lumpy on the inside.
    Overall these are better than expected quality based on some reviews.

JT

Senior Member 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I have Acerbis handguards, and light strips for them, but the lights are 2 wire so I'd have to decide whether to a) wire them up as running only b) wire them up as turn only c) add some electronics to run them as turn signals (either at full or reduced brightness)

I'd considered, once I do that, putting lights on in place of the stock turn signals.
    Not really electronics, just a quarter (coin) sized piece with 2 wires on one side and 3 on the other. Technically it IS electronics as the guts are a diode, but there's really nothing to it, you connect the two wire side to the lights and the 3 wire side to your neutral, your indicator wire (color wire is different for each side of the bike), and the regular DRL wire. If you follow the wires from the stock DRL/indicators you're good to go. Using Posi-Taps made the whole thing a breeze.
    --
    Fez

Senior Member 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    was 55 when I left this morning. Put a fleece on under the mesh jacket (will be 70+ for the ride home), and put the grips on heat setting of 2 (of 5). I really like heated grips, even for just taking the edge off cool!!
    --
    Fez

Senior Member 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    I took a nice ride up a local mountain pass again, but this time i tried a different FS trail. I ended up dropping out 2 miles from one of my favorite PIE shops!! :{P
    2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?-08849af0-ea40-4981-ac4b-2cb9def05aea-jpg

Hah!

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Bike was acting a bit squirrelly on a curvy road yesterday while riding home.

Rode into the dealer this morning for an oil change. He found the rear tire about 50% pressure low. 2 nails in the rear tire.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Bike was acting a bit squirrelly on a curvy road yesterday while riding home.

Rode into the dealer this morning for an oil change. He found the rear tire about 50% pressure low. 2 nails in the rear tire.
    That is something you should have checked and found as soon as you got home, long before riding it again to the dealer the next day. When you've only got 2 tires to ride on, things like that should be at top of the list of things to monitor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    That is something you should have checked and found as soon as you got home...
    I actually stopped on the road and checked them. Didn't find the nails.

I've been watching some uneven wear on the front tire. It's been getting progressively worse. After looking things over I presumed it was the front tire and its uneven wear. Figured it was due to the heavy load from luggage during our Great Lakes trip. Rear wheel is wearing normally. Tread is worn but not so bad that I'd consider it an issue. Tires have been on my radar for replacement at the end of summer.

I pointed the front tire out to the dealer when I pulled into his lot and asked about prices on new tires before I even got my riding jacket off. He looked at the front tire, said it was unusual cupping wear. Did a tire pressure and it was good. Looked at the rear and said it actually looked good, but didn't do a full inspection as we were talking. He said "you'll feel that front" and so he and I both came to the same conclusion.

The technician found 1 nail in the tire when he was inspecting it. I actually found the other nail before the tech pointed out the first nail. Both were tiny, probably 18 gauge, nail gun type nails. He said it was safe to ride home on, aired it up and did a soap bubble test, showed me that there was just the slightest air leak. So the reality is that the front tire probably was the road handling issue and the 2 nails were just a bonus.

Bike is home now, with 2 nails in the rear. Nails are so small I can't plug the holes unless I bore them out to about 5x their size first. No way I can get a rasp into the holes to prepare them for a plug. I have road grade/military 'slime' for tires that I can inject but it makes it a mess for the tire tech. I use it on my tractors and other ag equipment.

I'll air it up just before I go back to the dealer for the new tires. Until then I'll ride a different bike.

Bike: 2013 NC700X

I've been watching some uneven wear on the front tire. It's been getting progressively worse. After looking things over I presumed it was the front tire and its uneven wear. Figured it was due to the heavy load from luggage during our Great Lakes trip. Rear wheel is wearing normally. Tread is worn but not so bad that I'd consider it an issue. Tires have been on my radar for replacement at the end of summer.

I pointed the front tire out to the dealer when I pulled into his lot and asked about prices on new tires before I even got my riding jacket off. He looked at the front tire, said it was unusual cupping wear. Did a tire pressure and it was good. Looked at the rear and said it actually looked good, but didn't do a full inspection as we were talking. He said "you'll feel that front" and so he and I both came to the same conclusion.

The technician found 1 nail in the tire when he was inspecting it. I actually found the other nail before the tech pointed out the first nail. Both were tiny, probably 18 gauge, nail gun type nails. He said it was safe to ride home on, aired it up and did a soap bubble test, showed me that there was just the slightest air leak. So the reality is that the front tire probably was the road handling issue and the 2 nails were just a bonus.

Bike is home now, with 2 nails in the rear. Nails are so small I can't plug the holes unless I bore them out to about 5x their size first. No way I can get a rasp into the holes to prepare them for a plug. I have road grade/military 'slime' for tires that I can inject but it makes it a mess for the tire tech. I use it on my tractors and other ag equipment.

I'll air it up just before I go back to the dealer for the new tires. Until then I'll ride a different bike.
    If the rear was 50% low of air (20 psi or less), you 100% would be feeling that, less so a cupped out front. Although if the front is worn to where there is a "shoulder" on one or both sides of the tire, that will make it feel squirly too. The Avon Cobras on my Nomad are to that point now after about 10k miles on them, sketchy going around sharp curves now.

I don't see why they couldn't just put a boot patch on the inside over each of the holes, or just one if both holes can be covered by one patch. And I definitely wouldn't use the slime.

It seems crazy to me for a dealer to just send you on your way with nails in your tires, whether holding air and passing a soap/water bubble test or not, without fixing it.
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 23rd August 2019 at 14:38.

Junior Member 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? Gaberloonzie's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X

One of the best investments I have made is a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)