Page 103 of 105 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 1044

Thread: 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GgarryP View Post
    Does age significantly affect an unmounted, unused tire?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Yes, it'll dry rot before you have time to wear it out.

Bike: '18 NC750X
    Quote Originally Posted by GgarryP View Post
    Does age significantly affect an unmounted, unused tire?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Yes.
    I was active on a Goldwing forum about 20 years ago when this was discussed at length. Some "experts" stated that tire compounds changed over time even when stored in a dark closet (as some had done).
    But many agreed that you could compare new tires with aged and it was apparent that the old tires had hardened somewhat. Some stated that they mounted new tires that seemed slicker than they should have been (after break-in) and that the date code proved they were old.
    It doesn't matter with auto tires so some dealers don't rotate their stock as they should.

The bottom line is that we should mount the newest date we can get and I remember some saying they'd not mount tires more than 5 or 6 years old. And good tire dealers would take them back.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Rode my wife’s NC700x to Starbucks to get breakfast. Said ‘goodbye’ to my favorite barista as today is her last day. She is one of my former fencing students and is moving to Indianapolis to attend college. I rarely go to Starbucks but she is a good kid, it was nice to be able to wish her well

Then to the cycle shop, where I am sitting and waiting. New Michelin Road 5 tires are being installed on her motorcycle. While the rear wheel is off and being changed I will lower the Soupy’s adjustable link down as far as it will go. Trying to get it low enough that she can flat foot both feet at a stop. Not quite low enough yet.

Senior Member 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Yes.
    I was active on a Goldwing forum about 20 years ago when this was discussed at length. Some "experts" stated that tire compounds changed over time even when stored in a dark closet (as some had done).
    But many agreed that you could compare new tires with aged and it was apparent that the old tires had hardened somewhat. Some stated that they mounted new tires that seemed slicker than they should have been (after break-in) and that the date code proved they were old.
    It doesn't matter with auto tires so some dealers don't rotate their stock as they should.

The bottom line is that we should mount the newest date we can get and I remember some saying they'd not mount tires more than 5 or 6 years old. And good tire dealers would take them back.
    5 years is about the max for auto tires here in AZ. The dry rot becomes noticeable. There is no way I would have tires more than 5 years old on my motorcycle, again. Yes, I did have a 6 year old tire on my bike but I didn't notice it until I pulled it off. The dealer mounted it and charged me too much for it. I just didn't think to check that the dealer would sell me old stock, now I know why the manager pushed it.

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Senior Member 2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Ride home from work was super wet. Had applied the Nickwax Glove Proof two nights ago. Really made a difference to the water absorption of the "waterproof" gloves. I recommend this product if your trying to get more waterproof out of your gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Rode my wife’s NC700x to Starbucks to get breakfast. Said ‘goodbye’ to my favorite barista as today is her last day. She is one of my former fencing students and is moving to Indianapolis to attend college. I rarely go to Starbucks but she is a good kid, it was nice to be able to wish her well

Then to the cycle shop, where I am sitting and waiting. New Michelin Road 5 tires are being installed on her motorcycle. While the rear wheel is off and being changed I will lower the Soupy’s adjustable link down as far as it will go. Trying to get it low enough that she can flat foot both feet at a stop. Not quite low enough yet.
    Curious as to how much they charged on labor to remove wheels from bike and mount/balance new tires? Also did you buy the tires from them?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Curious as to how much they charged on labor to remove wheels from bike and mount/balance new tires? Also did you buy the tires from them?

I bought the tires from them, they matched the lowest price I found.

They charge a flat rate of $170 to remove the old, install the new and dispose of the old. They don't care if you buy from them or not. They are a Pirelli store, they actually gave me a really good price on the Angel GT2, but I opted to have them special order the Michelin Road 5 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    I bought the tires from them, they matched the lowest price I found.

They charge a flat rate of $170 to remove the old, install the new and dispose of the old. They don't care if you buy from them or not. They are a Pirelli store, they actually gave me a really good price on the Angel GT2, but I opted to have them special order the Michelin Road 5 instead.
    I gotcha. Man that's steep, they make a killing on that. Something that shouldn't take no more than 1-1.5 hours. Dang near $170/hr! Two more tire changes and you would be able to pay for a tire changer and do it at home on your own time!

Tried mine out tonight. It done well, best investment I've made in tooling in a long time. Had to flip rear tire around. Bike is stripped back down, taped up, ready to head back to the track Saturday!

2019: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Must be nice having those tools available - I’d certainly have more myself - if I had a garage THE SIZE OF NEW JERSEY to work with

Hmmfph. Think I’ll go buy another new screwdriver today.

I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Yes.

I disagree about car tires not having trouble with age. A bit of a slide is less likely to cause injury though.
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I gotcha. Man that's steep, they make a killing on that. Something that shouldn't take no more than 1-1.5 hours. Dang near $170/hr! Two more tire changes and you would be able to pay for a tire changer and do it at home on your own time!

Tried mine out tonight. It done well, best investment I've made in tooling in a long time. Had to flip rear tire around. Bike is stripped back down, taped up, ready to head back to the track Saturday!

I really wish Honda had put the tail light as part of the undertail rather than having it hanging way off the back.

I'd expect them to charge half an hour per wheel r/r and then 15 minutes per mount/balance. Shop rates around here are well over $100/hr.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM