Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranded in the woods. Battery gave me warning but very little warning.

Senior Member Stranded in the woods. Battery gave me warning but very little warning. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
    Batteries charge between 13.5 and 14.5 Volts. How old was your battery?
    Original battery in a 2015 model purchased in September 2015. Battery had been in service 38 months.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    The optimal charging voltage for an AGM battery is 14.4V. 15.1 V is within Honda’s spec for their R/R when the engine is warmed and at about 5,000 rpm but it’s unusual to see it. The highest I’ve seen is 14.6V with a LFP. Voltages above 14.6V can cause gassing i.e. electrolyte depletion.

I wonder why it’s so high. It can be an indication of bad charging system health...

Senior Member Stranded in the woods. Battery gave me warning but very little warning. dduelin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ste7ios View Post
    The optimal charging voltage for an AGM battery is 14.4V. 15.1 V is within Hondaís spec for their R/R when the engine is warmed and at about 5,000 rpm but itís unusual to see it. The highest Iíve seen is 14.6V with a LFP. Voltages above 14.6V can cause gassing i.e. electrolyte depletion.

I wonder why itís so high. It can be an indication of bad charging system health...
    My voltage minder is a color coded LED and it glows green when system voltage is >12.9 and <15.1. It is a Signal Dynamics Heads Up!

I didnít mean to say the voltage was above known to be above 14.6, just that it indicates between 12.9 and 15.1.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Stranded in the woods. Battery gave me warning but very little warning.
    Stranded in the woods. Battery gave me warning but very little warning.

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    This discussion made up my mind for me.... The morning startup of my Ram 2500 diesel has been sounding a little bit slow of late and I just told myself that it's because the mornings have gotten colder... In light of this thread I stopped at interstate batteries this afternoon and had both batteries tested. One failed horribly, showing 110 cold cranking amps when loaded. The moral is, if your machine tries to tell you something, pay attention. Thanks Again Dubb
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Senior Member Stranded in the woods. Battery gave me warning but very little warning. SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Unfortunately, my battery has failed again.

So it got charged on Nov. 1 and has worked as it should for the past 18 days... and then guess what happened this morning that got me worried as I reached for the starter button? It was a cooler morning. About 10 degrees cooler. I just had a weird feeling that it wasn't going to work.
    And it has never given any signs that it is weak until it refuses to work. Just doesn't seem to have enough juice to trigger whatever needs to get fired for a start up. No slow starting, no need to keep holding the start button down to get it to fire... it just gives the click of death.

So after taking the car to and from work, I got home and hooked up my new power pack to the battery inside the frunk. It took a while because the clamps are too big to work with the tight, small posts. Once hooked up, I turned on the charger waited about 30 seconds, and the bike started up as it should. Revved it up, let it idle, then shut it off and unhooked the charger. I then checked and it started up on its own, but I'm leaving the clamps in the frunk, just in case, for tomorrow morning.
    Will be buying a new battery, hopefully one with a warranty. I'm guessing that the battery I have is the one that came with my bike, which was one of the first 2016 DCTs made. It was used as a demo, so maybe spent time not being ridden. Could have been put in service back in 2015?
    Anyone remember when the reviews of the new 2016's were done?

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Thanks for the warning. Mine is displaying signs of imminent failure currently after only a little over a year. It can be laboured turning over the motor from cold. Resting voltage is 12.4 after a couple of days so a new battery is ready to go in. I have had Yuasas last at least 5 years so this is surprising after only 14 months.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    My voltage minder is a color coded LED and it glows green when system voltage is >12.9 and <15.1. It is a Signal Dynamics Heads Up!

I didn’t mean to say the voltage was above known to be above 14.6, just that it indicates between 12.9 and 15.1.
    A reason that I don’t like this kind of monitoring, it can hide you precious detail. A permanently installed voltmeter will give you a much clearer picture of the charging system and battery status.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    Unfortunately, my battery has failed again.

So it got charged on Nov. 1 and has worked as it should for the past 18 days... and then guess what happened this morning that got me worried as I reached for the starter button? It was a cooler morning. About 10 degrees cooler. I just had a weird feeling that it wasn't going to work.
    And it has never given any signs that it is weak until it refuses to work. Just doesn't seem to have enough juice to trigger whatever needs to get fired for a start up. No slow starting, no need to keep holding the start button down to get it to fire... it just gives the click of death.

So after taking the car to and from work, I got home and hooked up my new power pack to the battery inside the frunk. It took a while because the clamps are too big to work with the tight, small posts. Once hooked up, I turned on the charger waited about 30 seconds, and the bike started up as it should. Revved it up, let it idle, then shut it off and unhooked the charger. I then checked and it started up on its own, but I'm leaving the clamps in the frunk, just in case, for tomorrow morning.
    Will be buying a new battery, hopefully one with a warranty. I'm guessing that the battery I have is the one that came with my bike, which was one of the first 2016 DCTs made. It was used as a demo, so maybe spent time not being ridden. Could have been put in service back in 2015?
    Anyone remember when the reviews of the new 2016's were done?
    Contact any Honda dealer service department and give them the VIN number. They can give you the date the machine was sold which marks the date the battery warranty began. It would be out of warranty now of course but you will know how old it is..
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    If the voltage reads 12.74 v or lower for an AGM battery sitting for 2 hrs after charging it’s is on its way out. And I would not trust a battery for a bike past 3 yrs anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Honda333 View Post
    If the voltage reads 12.74 v or lower for an AGM battery sitting for 2 hrs after charging it’s is on its way out. And I would not trust a battery for a bike past 3 yrs anyway.
    If you’re replacing your AGM battery at 12.74V or little lower you’re wasting your money. 12.74V means that it can keep more than 80% of its named capacity unless a load test tell us something different.

Time also tell us nothing. Other factors like environmental temperatures and for how long remains fully charged are more important. The same battery may survive for just one year or may live for about 6-8 years...

https://www.yuasabatteries.com/wp-con...ual.x78244.pdf