Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time/speed on highways

Bike: Honda NC 700 X

Time/speed on highways

Needing to travel approximately 150 miles 2-3 times a month at highway speeds 65-75 mph. Maybe not the ideal bike for interstate travel, but I am thinking this shouldnít be an issue. (?) I know the bike is capable, but I donít want to prematurely wear it out either. Being a long stroke motor the 700 should at least be turning a lot lower RPM than say a Suzuki 650 V Strom ( and I hear those guys run 70-80 all day long). I have owned ,wrenched on and rode many bikes, but this may be my last, so I want to have fun with it for 10-15 yrs ( hopefully). Thanks for any replies, suggestions, feedback. Great Forum BTW.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda333 View Post
    Needing to travel approximately 150 miles 2-3 times a month at highway speeds 65-75 mph. Maybe not the ideal bike for interstate travel, but I am thinking this shouldnít be an issue. (?) I know the bike is capable, but I donít want to prematurely wear it out either. Being a long stroke motor the 700 should at least be turning a lot lower RPM than say a Suzuki 650 V Strom ( and I hear those guys run 70-80 all day long). I have owned ,wrenched on and rode many bikes, but this may be my last, so I want to have fun with it for 10-15 yrs ( hopefully). Thanks for any replies, suggestions, feedback. Great Forum BTW.
    You have no need to worry. Just keep up with the maintenance items. Valves are an easy 1 to 2 hr job. Put an auto chain oiler on it. I like my Cameleon plus. Excellent DIY threads on here. If you plan on putting over 200,000 miles on it I still think you don't have to worry. Especially as you know how to wrench!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Time/speed on highways 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    We know of several NC700Xs with over 100,000 miles on them. I don't know of any properly maintained NC700Xs that have worn out. I'd say don't worry about it.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Member Time/speed on highways New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    I run 100 miles a day back and forth to work between 70 and 75 most of the time.This bike is the manual. I just passed 7000 miles but I expect that I will get 100k out of this bike. That said, I am probably going to go with the smaller rear sprocket in the next couple of months. But for right now this bike is running around 4000 rpms at 75 mph. Which is not bad for a 2 cylinder, especially water-cooled, and should be able to do that all day long. Sitting on the stock seat all day is another story...

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Thanks for the replies. I’ll be getting a new NC700 X after the first of the yr. I see a NEW 2014 on a showroom floor that seems reasonable in price. I’m coming from much bigger bikes and know that torque wins in the real world. I’m glad to hear others have rode many highway miles at 70+, 4000 rpm doesn’t seem to bad, especially from a well made engine/ bike. Good to hear/ see others with high mileage on this forum too. Although I’m old, I can hardly wait. ( anticipation!). I’m also going to post elsewhere adout a new modular helmet I’m looking at, to get feedback ( if any ) on the one I thinking about. Thanks.
    Last edited by Honda333; 10th November 2018 at 18:23.

Senior Member Time/speed on highways dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I've done a handful of Saddlesore 1000's on NC700Xs, riding 70-80 mph for at least 1000+ miles in 18 hours or less. They don't miss a beat and the bike gets 50 mpg at a steady 80 mph as long as there is little headwind.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Time/speed on highways SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Speaking of modular helmets, it is one of those that is more likely to cause trouble.

I've had issues with my past 2 modulars on long rides of over 50 miles.
    With my current Shoei Neotec 1 I was getting a pinching feeling right at my hairline on my forehead, right in the middle. I pulled over to give my head some relief and upon examination (of the helmet) saw that there were several possible issues. It could be the stitching of the lining or the interior hard padding that forms a block shape right there. I put on the helmet and made sure it felt smoothed down and didn't have an issue for the next 80 miles home.
    I will be bringing along some moleskin on my next long ride in case the issue returns.

As for the NC700X DCT, it ran fine, just like I was riding to work. There is a drop in MPG the faster I go over 70 mph, which can limit my range.
    My Sargeant seat made the bike very comfortable, with no need to pull over every 50-60 miles and get off the bike for a few minutes, like on my previous Ninja 250 and Ninja 650R.

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I wear a modular and did 16x400(avg) mile days in a row. No problem. I think the shape of your head needs to match the shape of the helmet..and of course the right size.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

All good to know about the bike / speed / info and the info about helmets. Probably only reasonI though the HJC Max ll would be good is because I’ve owned a lot of that brand over the yrs. they fit my head better than a few Shoei helmets I’ve owned. Not opposed to other brands though. I try to keep an open mind , study tests, reviews, and any other info. when a new purchase of anything comes up.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda333 View Post
    All good to know about the bike / speed / info and the info about helmets. Probably only reasonI though the HJC Max ll would be good is because Iíve owned a lot of that brand over the yrs. they fit my head better than a few Shoei helmets Iíve owned. Not opposed to other brands though. I try to keep an open mind , study tests, reviews, and any other info. when a new purchase of anything comes up.
    Try a shuberth

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk