Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time/speed on highways

Senior Member Time/speed on highways ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda333 View Post
    Needing to travel approximately 150 miles 2-3 times a month <big snip>I want to have fun with it for 10-15 yrs

10 years would put you at around 65,000 miles and 5 years after that you will still be a tick under 100,000 miles.

I think you will be good!

It isn't how many years the motorcycle will last it is the number of miles.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    ...something to consider. I have a 2012 manual NC, I too have a lot of Interstate/freeway in my area to get anywhere. I am currently running a 17T primary, 39T rear sprocket(thanks Chris) and a slightly taller rear tire of 150/70-17. Each netted me a couple of hundred lower rpm's. Right now i'm running about 3k at 80mph according to my Montana 600. The felt torque/pull of the NC is incredible when you drop a gear and roll the throttle to pass someone. Gotta love the NC! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member Time/speed on highways SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    This morning the 405 freeway was really moving (a big rarity) and I was pushing 80 mph indicated.
    When my off ramp was coming up I got over into the right hand lanes and dropped down to 73-75 and it felt much more stable and smooth and the lower speeds.
    I don't know if it's the aerodynamics, suspension or what, but the NC is not like those bigger adventure bikes that can really take the hits on the suspension and feel planted at those higher speeds.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    This morning the 405 freeway was really moving (a big rarity) and I was pushing 80 mph indicated.
    When my off ramp was coming up I got over into the right hand lanes and dropped down to 73-75 and it felt much more stable and smooth and the lower speeds.
    I don't know if it's the aerodynamics, suspension or what, but the NC is not like those bigger adventure bikes that can really take the hits on the suspension and feel planted at those higher speeds.
    Most manufacturers have to compromise on things to keep the price down. Honda chose the suspension and the brakes on the NC700X. Adventure bikes are thousands more in cost. Brakes and suspension are adequate for most people who will use this bike. For ~ $1000 or less you can really change your suspension all around. Will make a big difference for you especially if you are a bigger person. After two years all of my bikes get new fork springs as they seem to really dive after two years. I'm 6'3 270#

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    yeah...I upgraded to Cogent suspension. Really changed the bike. Now I need some new tires. My PR4's are getting odd shaped.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by drdubb View Post
    yeah...I upgraded to Cogent suspension. Really changed the bike. Now I need some new tires. My PR4's are getting odd shaped.
    PR4's were hard to find earlier in the season. Don't know if that's because the PR5's came out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    PR3, PR4, PR5...the progression and price continues...but I like the tire. Had thought about getting an 80/20 tire for this year. Maybe some Shinko 705's.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: Honda
    I really wish we had the VFR800x over here in the US. It looks a complete package without a big pricetag ($11k approximately). It also has standard ABS, traction control, an adjustable windscreen and adjustable suspension that is superior to the NC. Surprisingly, it isnít offered with the DCT even though the VFR1200 has it. The VFR seems to have the perfect blend of engine size, horsepower, torque and an insanely smooth ride. The rider reviews of that bike seem to be really good as well. The handlebar vibration around 75 mph on my 2015 NC really hurts me on 300-400 mile days. I am still dealing with some numbness and tingling from a 1,600 mile trip I took about 3 weeks ago.
    Last edited by bvogel7475; 12th November 2018 at 15:30.

Super Moderator Time/speed on highways 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by bvogel7475 View Post
    I really wish we had the VFR800x over here in the US. That bike seems like the perfect size engine without a big pricetag ($11k approximately). It also has traction control and adjustable suspension that is superior to the NC. Surprisingly, it isn’t offered with the DCT even though the VFR1200 has it. The 800 It has the perfect blend of engine size, horsepower, torque and an insanely smooth ride. The rider reviews of that bike seem to be really good as well. The handlebar vibration around 75 mph on my 2015 NC really hurts me on 300-400 mile days. I am still dealing with some numbness and tingling from a 1,600 mile trip I took about 3 weeks ago.
    In a prior post you said you have SW-Motech hand guards. I’m curious if you removed any bar weights and if that’s increasing your handlebar vibration. I have all my stock weights in place with cycle gear hand guards, and bar vibration is not something that ever crosses my mind on my NC. I do know that some NCs are smoother than others, so maybe it’s just random chance on the bar vibration.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    This is all very good and comforting information. Thanks to everyone. I’m sure I’ll enjoy the bike.