Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: manual vs DCT

glenbo

manual vs DCT

Has anyone recently test ridden both the manual and DCT models back to back? If so, I'd love to hear your impressions of each in areas of acceleration and braking. And any other areas, too. I expect to look at a manual trans model later today, possibly test ride if weather isn't too cold. I don't think the dealer has the DCT model in stock but still want to ride one. I'm interested in what you feel about them.

Bike: NC700x dct now
    After riding the manual I asked the dealer to prep the DCT, I was a little put off having to adapt my riding style ( coming from an R1 ) for the rev limiter. DCT felt like what the bike was designed to be and acceleration was easily sufficient in traffic without being in the S mode. Braking no real difference and no problem on twisted roads due to un-expected down shifts. My deposit is on the DCT.

Senior Member manual vs DCT happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    I have the manual NCX since April.

If I were given a choice again, I would get the DCT because it was very good (quick response and have manual override).
    I still love my manual DCT though.

Both are ok IMHO.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Senior Member manual vs DCT tromba's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    I rode both when I was going to buy th NC. I preferred the Manual but I could have been monetarily biased.
    These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Senior Member manual vs DCT happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Quote Originally Posted by tromba View Post
    I rode both when I was going to buy th NC. I preferred the Manual but I could have been monetarily biased.
    Yea!
    The only reason I took the manual, was that I did not want to wait 3 months for the DCT to arrive.
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Senior Member manual vs DCT Rocker66's Avatar
    Bike: 2017 NC750X
    Personally although I lked the DCT version of the VFR1200 in future I would take a manual bike in preference
    4 Wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
    Audere est Facere

Bike: nc700xd
    I test drove both back to back.
    There's really little or no difference, IMHO, in acceleration or braking.
    Like a car, with an automatic tranny, the DCT is ez...give it gas and go. Slow handling (like u turns)
    are a little tricky because there's no clutch to feather, but just takes a
    little practice to get used to.
    I've had manual transmission bikes for almost 40 years, and wanted something different, so I bought the DCT. I find myself
    downshifting manually when coming to a stop because it helps me slow down. Yes, I believe in engine braking!!! I like the option of shifting manually...or not!
    To each his own, so I strongly suggest you test ride both and form your own opinions!!!!
    Craig

Super Moderator manual vs DCT 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I've ridden both. I own a manual.

As far as acceleration and braking, there is virtually no difference. The magazine testers seem to squeeze a quicker time out of the manual, but drag strip starts is not how this bike is used, so I find their quarter mile time differences irrelevant.

The DCT is a marvelous piece of engineering. It does what it's supposed to do seamlessly and almost transparently. An area of minor concern is very low speed handling. Having no manual clutch friction zone to feather may take some getting used to, but the DCT actually goes slow amazingly well. Another thing on the DCT is, say you are in Drive mode in sixth gear at 45 mph and you want to immediately accelerate rapidly. You will be best to manually downshift the DCT, else there will be a slight delay while the bike figures out you want to go NOW. The bases are covered, though, because the auto operation can be overridden at any time as long as the engine stays within an acceptable upper and lower RPM band.

This great tranny comes at a monetary price, of course, and a bit of a weight penalty. DCT was an answer to a need I didn't have, so I bought a manual NC. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you, so a test drive is going to be required, regardless of forum feedback.

Greg
    Last edited by 670cc; 26th December 2012 at 12:50.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Super Moderator manual vs DCT 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by happy View Post
    I still love my manual DCT though.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: Honda NC700x DCT
    I did not drive the manual transmission but was concerned about the rev limiter being so low. I know it would just be a matter of adapting to it but I didn't want to be dancing the shifter so often. My other bike is a Ducati Diavel so the DCT appealed to me as something different/unique and would work well as a low key adventure-touring-commuting bike.

That being said, I have not been disappointed at all. I think the DCT is brilliant and a great alternative. Very easy to ride smooth regardless of the conditions or the road. Drive and Sport modes cover all my needs and have very distinct advantages.

I don't think you can go wrong with either but the DCT is worth the extra $.