Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal best mpg!

Bike: NC700X

Personal best mpg!

There don't seem to be any recent mpg threads, so I'm starting a new one.

Last tank is the first time I've purposely tried to keep my max speed to 65 mph. Rewarded with a personal best of 79.4 mpg! Filled up at 251 miles, but there was about 40 miles remaining (only found out when I filled, otherwise I would have ridden further - it is always a guessing game with the fuel indicator).

I can only imagine what I would get keeping speed to a max of 55, but I don't have the patience for that.

2012 NC700X manual with Madstad windshield, pretty optimal 70 to high 80 degree temperature over the fill period. Only sop to efficiency is I don't like idling at long lights so I kill the motor. I tend to accelerate briskly but not pointlessly if I have to stop or slow a few seconds later.

68.53 mpg lifetime average over 17,562 miles (I record every drop). Cold weather fills can be as low as 62 mpg, but I don't typically ride below 45 degrees, so the average has a warm weather bias.

I'll never get up to 670cc's Fuelly average of 76 mpg of course but I am very happy with the efficiency I am getting.

Senior Member Personal best mpg!
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    My average over the 17,000 miles since I started using Fuelly is 69.5mpg. My three best are 79.2, 79.5, and a whopping 79.8 on July 17, 2015. I have found that speed is the killer on my bike's mpg. Those days were riding between 35 and 50 miles per hour in the mountains of Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee. It wasn't so much how hard I rode the bike, but was more so that I didn't ride fast.

Super Moderator Personal best mpg! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Good job, yticolev! Just goes to show it’s possible. Don’t try to catch up with me or your ride might be too boring.

As Agent says, speed is a huge factor. My personal best came from riding about 45 mph for almost 300 miles. It got 94.5 mpg.
    Last edited by 670cc; 17th July 2018 at 07:22.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    If I keep it under or around 55mph I get around 74 mpg, going 70 to 75 I get around 64 mpg!

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Good job, yticolev! Just goes to show it’s possible. Don’t try to catch up with me or your ride might be too boring.

As Agent says, speed is a huge factor. My personal best came from riding about 45 mph for almost 300 miles
    I don't think I could tolerate 55 mph, I'd go bananas at 45! Plus 45 would be unsafe on the highway. Where did you do that, Natchez Trace Parkway maybe? Or the Blue Ridge?

Super Moderator Personal best mpg! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
    I don't think I could tolerate 55 mph, I'd go bananas at 45! Plus 45 would be unsafe on the highway. Where did you do that, Natchez Trace Parkway maybe? Or the Blue Ridge?
    Blue Ridge.

Plus, the local roads around my neighborhood are rough, oil and chip, loose gravel, blind hills and curves, and barely over 1 lane wide. It’s not safe to go over 45 mph. That’s why my mileage is so good. I’d love to go on the state highways, but they’re in even worse shape because the state is nearly bankrupt. The Interstates are plentiful and in great shape, I suppose because it’s federal money, but they’re no fun.
    Last edited by 670cc; 12th July 2018 at 19:02.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Personal best mpg!
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    My best is 76.5. I have not tracked it in a long time. My mindset has adapted to a more spirited riding style which tends to run contrary to fuel sipping

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Mine is 99-mpg, i later backed it up with a 98-mpg on the same stretch of river road. I also have several mid/low 80's mpg. As the others have already pointed out, speed = wind resistance/drag. and those are a killer of good MPG! There are many other little tricks that you can learn that all help to increase your "Smiles per Gallon". I've been on Ecomodder.com for many years and have learned so much from those guys about fuel economy and how to achieve some serious numbers. Many of those guys/gals are incredible at what they can achieve in everything they drive/ride and hold classes to tech others. Several good threads there specifically on how to get better mpg's with anything. There are only a few a few great rides in my area that i can achieve my high numbers on, they either follow a beautiful lake or a beautiful section of a local river where the speed limits are around 40-50. I get up into 6th gear and count the pops! I am old so i do not tuck when i ride. I like to sit upright and comfortable. On the freeways, and only during a severe headwind or pulling one of the several mountain passes in my area, i will tuck going up the pass to help keep my mileage higher. And always, treat yourself at the end or middle of the ride to some delicious PIE!!! One of my favorite river road routes is right off of the freeway for me. I ride it out 50 miles and 50 miles back. There is also a really cool place for PIE at the oldest known restaurant in Idaho. The Enaville Snake Pit, where the new owners just hired and flew out a chef from New Orleans and man can that guy cook some serious New Orleans style food!! If any of you guys/gals are out my way give me a holler' and we'll make a fun trip out there for a beautiful river ride where we'll just have to stop for some Cajun food and fresh home-made PIE!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2015 NC700S
    Best of 77.2 MPG. Average is 69.8, was over 70 but cold weather hurt it this April and early May. Doing an Iron Butt next Saturday is sure to bring my average down quite a bit.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -MMOTO fully welded luggage rack
    -Dales seat rack
    -Corbin seat

Bike: NC700X, 1977 triumph bonneville, 03 Buell XB9S
    I must have the lemon in this lot; at ~70mph I get 50-54mpg... steady speed, no acceleration. If I go past 75, I get about 45-48mpg.