Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal best mpg!

Super Moderator Personal best mpg! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
    I must have the lemon in this lot; at ~70mph I get 50-54mpg... steady speed, no acceleration. If I go past 75, I get about 45-48mpg.
    Do you travel with large side bags? Do you see any FI faults that might indicate a bad sensor causing the bike to run in open loop mode? Is your final drive gearing non-stock, or is your rear tire a non standard size that causes incorrect odometer readings?
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC750 Dct
    Quote Originally Posted by echo15 View Post
    I must have the lemon in this lot; at ~70mph I get 50-54mpg... steady speed, no acceleration. If I go past 75, I get about 45-48mpg.
    Something is isn’t right, I get 62mpg going flat out
    75 tipping along & 80 keeping the RPM right down ?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Hey Boo... Keep us informed on your Saddle Sore/Iron Buttox ride!! I would like to know how yours goes. I too am planning one, I am shooting for next month for mine after things slow down a bit a work and i can stop working 6-days a week. It is about 500 miles from my place to Billings Montana and return home. Although, an alternative route for me would just be 250 to the west and back and then 250 to the east and back and be done. That way i'd be a lot closer to home if something did happen or i couldn't make it/wimped out...hahaha! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2015 NC700S
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Hey Boo... Keep us informed on your Saddle Sore/Iron Buttox ride!! I would like to know how yours goes. I too am planning one, I am shooting for next month for mine after things slow down a bit a work and i can stop working 6-days a week. It is about 500 miles from my place to Billings Montana and return home. Although, an alternative route for me would just be 250 to the west and back and then 250 to the east and back and be done. That way i'd be a lot closer to home if something did happen or i couldn't make it/wimped out...hahaha! :{)
    I'll be boasting if I succeed, you won't hear anything if I dont . Me and My buddy that is doing it with me have done 700 miles in 16 hours and we weren't even really trying.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -MMOTO fully welded luggage rack
    -Dales seat rack
    -Corbin seat

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I have a DCT and never average in the 70's. Generally, for all riding, I get in the low 60's. I do notice higher mileage on the winter blend of gas, less ethanol I assume. I used to fuelly, but quit after awhile. I decided to just ride. If I wanted to save on gas that bad, I'd stay home.
    Last edited by drdubb; 15th July 2018 at 11:54.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Fuelly says my best is 78.6, but that is a statistical outlier. Usually mid 60s. Wind can kill my mpg.

I didn’t start on Fuelly until I had owned the bike a bit, so who knows. I still have all the receipts except for a couple that went through the washer, but I am not going back through them.
    Last edited by Hank; 15th July 2018 at 06:55.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Bike: NC700X, 1977 triumph bonneville, 03 Buell XB9S
    "Do you travel with large side bags? Do you see any FI faults that might indicate a bad sensor causing the bike to run in open loop mode? Is your final drive gearing non-stock, or is your rear tire a non standard size that causes incorrect odometer readings?"

I do have narrow side bags (caribou/pelican), but I have ridden without them and seen little change. Stock final drive & tire dimension. Have had it checked out at two different dealerships. No on seems able to figure it out.
    I am open to any suggestions.

Bike: NC700X
    I started this thread with a 79.4 mpg best ever fill. My next fill was 78.2 mpg even though I was riding a bit more conservative hoping to get to 80 mpg.

I will say it was a bit cooler. Both my motorcycle and my hybrid seem to do better in 80 degree weather than 70s. I cannot find any information online about engine efficiency related to 10 degree ambient temperature steps, say from 30 degrees to 80 degrees. Clearly there is a large, well observed difference between 30 and 80 degrees though (some of which is due to winter gasoline formulations).

But just two tanks of significantly better mpg has boosted my lifetime mpg from right at 68 to pushing 69 mpg over almost 18,000 miles. Fun to see, but I might have to go back to brisker riding.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by yticolev View Post
    I started this thread with a 79.4 mpg best ever fill. My next fill was 78.2 mpg even though I was riding a bit more conservative hoping to get to 80 mpg.

I will say it was a bit cooler. Both my motorcycle and my hybrid seem to do better in 80 degree weather than 70s. I cannot find any information online about engine efficiency related to 10 degree ambient temperature steps, say from 30 degrees to 80 degrees. Clearly there is a large, well observed difference between 30 and 80 degrees though (some of which is due to winter gasoline formulations)
    On EcoModder.com you'll find exactly that, and many other things attributed to adding to or taking away from good MPG!!! On there you will find many helpful tips on increasing the MPG on anything you ride/drive. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    On EcoModder.com you'll find exactly that, and many other things attributed to adding to or taking away from good MPG!!! On there you will find many helpful tips on increasing the MPG on anything you ride/drive. :{)
    Never thought of looking there, thanks. While there were no studies I could find, significant data was posted by several suggesting that mpg peaks at around 80 to 85 degrees. Exactly what I was thinking with very limited data. It appears that the increase is linear from about 40 degrees to 85 degrees, with a considerably steeper line below 40. Very interesting.

For the first time in 6 months I checked my tire pressures (bad owner). To my embarrassment, they were 8 psi low. That makes me think tire pressure on a motorcycle is a fairly trivial component of efficiency as my last two tanks were 79/78 mph, a personal best per the title. I certainly notice low pressures in car efficiency.

Anyone anecdotally documented lower mpg on under inflated tires?

On my OEM Dunlops, I could notice lowered handling performance with just 4 psi under inflated. I'm only on my second set of tires, but could not tell the difference with another brand. That's a bit concerning on a couple levels.