Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Down and out for a while.

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS

Down and out for a while.

I was riding home last week and got hit. I wanted to change lanes, so I checked my mirror, turned on my signal, started to come over and BAM some woman in an SUV sped up to prevent me from coming over. Cost me a trip to the hospital and my bike. Luckily I only got a sprained ankle and some road rash in spite of my gear. Unfortunately I just got a call from the insurance adjuster and the bike has frame damage. So like a horse with a broken leg, we have to take it out and shoot it.

I loved my bike so I'll probably get the same model to replace it. I have to take my upgrades off the bike to move to the new one. You know what they say - Once you go DCT, you never go back.

Techrat

Bike: NC750XD
    Sorry to hear that and glad you are OK. As for the NC, well this is just a machine right?

Hope you can ride again soon on a new NC.

Senior Member Down and out for a while. happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Go and try out an Africa Twin?
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Senior Member Down and out for a while. StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Glad to hear you weren't more seriously injured. Was the other driver at least apologetic after?
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Senior Member Down and out for a while. superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Very glad to hear you're ok.

Were they insured or is it your insurance having to pay for it?

Senior Member Down and out for a while. FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    Glad to hear you're OK! Are you thinking of taking a good deal on a left over or waiting for an available 750? There's a new VFR1200X at my dealer that I'm kind of glad is not a DCT because they're trying to move it for a good price, around 11k if I remember correctly. Brand new!! If it was a DCT it would be tempting!
    --
    Fez

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    There is some trainer that teaches what they call a “soft merge.” You signal, look, then move over to the edge of the lane and look again. Then move in. This gives anyone you have missed or who is not paying attention time to react.
    Not recommending it, just reporting.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Senior Member Down and out for a while. MalcolmReynolds's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    This is messed up... but we have all seen it many times... you put on a turn signal and by god you might as well be waving a red flag in front of a bull... Sorta like driving down the highway and you happen to be going faster than the traffic, move over to pass the the car you are passing suddenly is on the gas and refuses to let you pass...

Oh man, this is messed up. Glad you are OK. I have gotten to the point that I check for the lane change and when I am sure I am clear I am on the gas and hitting the turn signal at the same time. I don't give them the chance to pull this anymore. They still hammer the gas and tailgate, but you know the more you do that the more I am really inclined to slow down and irritate you even more...

Senior Member Down and out for a while. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Sorry for your mishap but glad you are pretty much OK for going down in traffic.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Down and out for a while. Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750XA Yamaha FZ1
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmReynolds View Post
    This is messed up... but we have all seen it many times... you put on a turn signal and by god you might as well be waving a red flag in front of a bull... Sorta like driving down the highway and you happen to be going faster than the traffic, move over to pass the the car you are passing suddenly is on the gas and refuses to let you pass...

Oh man, this is messed up. Glad you are OK. I have gotten to the point that I check for the lane change and when I am sure I am clear I am on the gas and hitting the turn signal at the same time. I don't give them the chance to pull this anymore. They still hammer the gas and tailgate, but you know the more you do that the more I am really inclined to slow down and irritate you even more...
    Sorry but I just don't agree with this. I don't want an aggressive cage driver tailgating me. When I make a lane change and if I notice the vehicle speeding up to fill the gap I just let him go ahead and fall in behind him. Turning on the signal is a great way to find out the mindset of the driver behind you. If the driver falls back some and allows you to merge your good to go. If he speeds up and tries to block you, let him in front. Your just not going to win that kind of confrontation.

OP, glad you relatively OK. From every accident there is always time to reflect afterwards and learn if there was something that could have been done to prevent the accident.
    Last edited by Ruggybuggy; 8th June 2018 at 20:06.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain