Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Commuting

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    My total cost of ownership per mile on my Piaggio MP3 500 is $0.23.
    This includes the cost of the ride, all maintenance, and fuel.
    Not insurance. That might add another $0.01/mile, give or take a penny.
    I'm assuming here I could sell it for more than zero.

Having said that, my total cost of ownership using same parameters for my Ford Focus is $0.20/mile.
    Though, actually, insurance adds another $0.03/mile. So they are darned near the same.

Bike: inspiring
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    Your calculations are using the incorrect formula, hence your numbers are incorrect.

How to figure TCO per mile (total cost of ownership per mile)....It goes roughly like this:
    My apologies. I thought the sidebar discussion was limited to cost to operate NC versus auto, not to own (TCO).

Yes, TCO is a totally different figure; greater in value. However, the variables become rather cumbersome and more so than your example. What new auto cost are you going to use for the comparison; BMW M6; Volvo S60; AMG; Ford Ka; Fiat Punto; Kia? You have to allocate costs for items that last for years over multiple vehicles such as riding gear: my Aerostich has seen 100,000s of miles of riding, boots can last for years as do some gloves. And the other items you mention such as salvage value. But not done yet. Have to adjust everything to current year dollars or at least same year dollars (typically a future year) before doing the cost per mile calculation; another pain. And what mileage will you use. I've kept bikes to 100K miles or more like yourself; people trade in cars every couple years at less than 50K miles. For an equal comparison of "TCO per mile", would you not use the same assumed total mileage? So I wonder if the NC will end up being more or if so, insignificantly.

So yes, I can do lifecycle cost calculations also; but it's a pain. So I addressed operating cost as I thought was the topic.
    Last edited by Krampus; 6th June 2018 at 20:14.

Bike: NC750XD
    Saving 30 mn a day I can spend doing interesting things: priceless.

Also interesting 1h30 bike daily commute vs boring 2h car commute.

Here, calculation complete

Yes, I do own a car. The NC TCO is pretty low, for a bike, but many cars will beat it as stated. Good thing the TCO is not why most of us buy bikes.

Senior Member Commuting ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post

btw, I laugh at people that claim there $65k Lexus is an 'economy' car.
    It is...all you have to do is leave out the purchase price/depreciation/etc, etc and only include gas and oil in your calculus ;-)
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    It is...all you have to do is leave out the purchase price/depreciation/etc, etc and only include gas and oil in your calculus ;-)
    Or marry a doctor.

Member Commuting New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    ["...I got over 80 mpg..." new commuter700]

Was that a real calculation (tank topped up after xx-miles) or looking at the mileage meter on the dash? I'd found that those dash displays are all over the map...especially when you're on trailing throttle or coasting!

I've gotten into the mid-70s but never into the 80s. My bike has a Madstad windscreen and Givi 33 litre hardbags.
    3 full fill ups so far and over 80 on each. I'll fill it tomorrow and I am expecting a lower number because now that it's over 800 miles on the clock I was getting into it just a little bit more. Oddly, the mileage meter is showing around 75 mpg.

Your calculations are using the incorrect formula, hence your numbers are incorrect.

How to figure TCO per mile (total cost of ownership per mile)....It goes roughly like this:...
    Ok, my pickup is not part of the ownership costs because I would keep that even if I bought the Subaru, so while it is an additional cost to keep it, it's a wash. The long term costs are also not part of my figures because I only ran the numbers for 5 years. I know that I could reasonably expect a Subaru to last me for 10 years and 200,000 miles and the bike for half that but, it just wasn't a part of the calculation because I expect things to change in 5 years, not 10.

All that said, the final decision came down to more of a time and enjoyment issue than a monetary one. I think the cash numbers will be close and I am tracking them faithfully, but if the bike cost a little more, I won't cry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    3 full fill ups so far and over 80 on each. I'll fill it tomorrow and I am expecting a lower number because now that it's over 800 miles on the clock I was getting into it just a little bit more. Oddly, the mileage meter is showing around 75 mpg.
    As I expected the mileage went down but surprisingly only to 77 mpg.