Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Tricky clutch stall from start

  1. #1
    Member
    Bike: 2012 nc700x
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hye,Tx.
    Posts
    42

    Tricky clutch stall from start

    I've ridden many bikes in my 50 years of riding and currently have a few in the stable to choose from...
    Funny thing about my NC is if you don't give a little gas and slip a little clutch from a dead start it will stall...
    I've never experienced that to this degree with my other bikes.....
    I'm wondering if I'm alone with this or have others experienced an easy stall when rolling out from a stop if not slightly reving and lightly slipping the clutch ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rapturee's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x, 2012 CBR250r, 2013 CRF230f
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Post Falls IDAHO
    Posts
    259
    IR, i too have the same issue... so far i've just lived with it. :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Tricky clutch stall from start 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,992
    Give a little gas and slip a little clutch was how I always thought it was supposed to work. The only exception in my 45+ year history of bikes is the GL1800, where you can just let the clutch out and it rolls away. I do tend to favor smaller bikes, though.

    My NC seems normal to me, and this is the first Iíve heard this comment.
    Last edited by 670cc; 12th May 2018 at 16:12.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX

  4. #4
    Is it different when the engine is cold vs. hot? - My 2012 NC actually has the opposite problem.

    I commute on the bike all year and figured out that if it is very, very, cold out I need to feather the clutch and stay off the gas for the first few seconds. Without any gas it will pull away like a champ. However, if I touch the throttle before it warms up it wants to stall.

  5. #5
    Member PapaC's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    87
    oops, wrong thread.
    Last edited by PapaC; 12th May 2018 at 05:57.
    Ride safe, Carl

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Melbourne FL
    Posts
    212
    Aside from riding since '71, I I spent 5 years as a mc mechanic for Yam, Kawasaki & Honda. The NC is one easiest bikes to get moving without stalling due in large part to lots of flywheel energy. I haqve yet to ride a bike that didn't require a touch of throttle and clutch slip to get going. Adjusting the free play in the clutch cable, to change the engagement point can make it easier to control.

  7. #7
    Member
    Bike: 2012 nc700x
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hye,Tx.
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturday Morning View Post
    Is it different when the engine is cold vs. hot? - My 2012 NC actually has the opposite problem.

    I commute on the bike all year and figured out that if it is very, very, cold out I need to feather the clutch and stay off the gas for the first few seconds. Without any gas it will pull away like a champ. However, if I touch the throttle before it warms up it wants to stall.
    No difference hot or cold.I never stall all my other bikes but the NC I need to feather and pick up the revs a hair or it might
    Stumble and stall.
    Not a big deal just more finicky than any other bike I’ve ridden.
    Might have something to do with the irregular 270 degree firing order.

  8. #8
    Member
    Bike: 2012 nc700x
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Hye,Tx.
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Aside from riding since '71, I I spent 5 years as a mc mechanic for Yam, Kawasaki & Honda. The NC is one easiest bikes to get moving without stalling due in large part to lots of flywheel energy. I haqve yet to ride a bike that didn't require a touch of throttle and clutch slip to get going. Adjusting the free play in the clutch cable, to change the engagement point can make it easier to control.
    I guess you missed the part that I don’t have stall issues with any of my other bikes....
    I know a little about bikes too and about clutch free play.Its not that.Something specific about my bike I guess if others aren’t experiencing it.
    The flywheel energy you describe might be the 270 firing order.
    Last edited by Inroads; 12th May 2018 at 10:19.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Krampus's Avatar
    Bike: ManyhaveIhad
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
    I'm wondering if I'm alone with this or have others experienced an easy stall when rolling out from a stop if not slightly reving and lightly slipping the clutch ?
    No easy stall, but am rolling on throttle pulling away; I would not say I slip the clutch, but don't dump it either; a controlled release. Same as on every bike I've ever had.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Melbourne FL
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Inroads View Post
    The flywheel energy you describe might be the 270 firing order.
    The energy is determined by the mass of the flywheel and rotation speed.

Similar Threads

  1. Clutch Engagement - Friction Zone adjusting where your clutch engages
    By MalcolmReynolds in forum NC700 Technical
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 8th May 2017, 19:26
  2. New mule kickin' in the same old stall
    By shaggymonkey in forum Non NC700 Motorcycle Section
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th July 2016, 22:27
  3. Got the DCT to stall
    By Konrad in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10th November 2014, 21:56
  4. Help! DCT won't start
    By AdamW in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 5th September 2014, 00:05
  5. Bad Clutch Adjustment/Dirty Clutch Cable
    By phenamunan in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19th August 2014, 23:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •