Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle?

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A

Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle?

I'm thinking of taking a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course this spring to refresh some skills and learn new ones.

My question is... Do you think I should take the later class when I have more miles on the engine?
    By the date of the class, I will have about 800 - 1000 miles on the odometer.

It typically will be cooler weather on June 9 and it is more convenient, but I could wait until June 30 and get another 500 - 1000 miles on the odometer. Both classes have spots available.

These classes generally consist of a lot of engine idling in a parking lot while waiting for your turn to practice/perform a skill. There will be a lot of low speed riding and clutch work.
    I want to take it on the NC due to it being easy to ride and it won't boil me to death with engine heat. Then I can practice the drills with my portly ST1300 on my own time in cooler weather.

JT

Fixed Idea Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle?
    Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle?
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    I wouldn't let the odometer amount deter you from anything as far as the engine goes and the riding environment, more so simply how used to it and how comfortable you feel on the bike, prior to the test.
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle? happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    Do it when you are confident and ready.
    Do it once.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    I wouldn't worry about taking the NC. When I did mine my mileage dropped 15 mpg for that tank of gas.

Super Moderator Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    My opinion: The NC engine can take it. Use it.

I did the advanced rider course on the NC. The superb handling made it easy and fun.

Like Harvey said, the gas mileage was bad on that tank.
    Last edited by 670cc; 9th May 2018 at 10:10.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

I took the Basic Rider course years ago when I first got my motorcycle license. I just wanted to have a refresher course, learn some new skills and get a rebate on my insurance. The NC is so easy to ride I already feel comfortable enough on it to take the class. I was just concerned about the low miles.
    You guys are saying not to worry about the engine, so I guess I'll sign up for the most convenient date.

Thanks!
    JT

Senior Member Taking a MSF course on a new motorcycle? FezUSA's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT
    Took the basic MSF class last year with my daughter. I have the DCT so I took the opportunity to ride their bikes to learn how to ride a bike with a clutch lever (I came from a PCX150 scooter!). They strongly recommended that you take the basic class on their bikes, but will allow you to ride your own if you push the issue and they look it over and agree. A lot of people rode their own bikes to the class, parked them and then rode the class bikes. I think some of this had to do with that its also easier to ride the courses on the smaller 250 bikes than what a lot of people own! Part of me thought it would be good to take the class on your own bike as that's what you'll be riding anyway. But it was an opportunity for me to learn the how to do the whole clutch lever thing!!
    --
    Fez

Just signed up for the Advanced Rider course on June 9!

I'm glad nobody had an issue with using a low-mileage bike in the course. My wife just reminded me that we have a family reunion on the only other available date!

FYI... They require students to provide their own motorcycles in the Advanced course. Makes sense since you should learn skills on your bike and must already have your MC license to sign up.

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS
    I took the ARC last year with using my 2016 NC700X DCT with less than 2,000 miles under my belt. They found it fascinating that my bike didn't have a clutch lever. After the class, they asked me if I wanted me to be an instructor but I was working a lot of overtime on the weekends. So don't let your lack of miles bother you.

There were three guys in my class that definitely should have taken the BRC over again or absolutely shouldn't have bought the biggest bikes they could find. If you bond with your bike, ride it like you own it. No matter how many payments you have left.

Techrat.

Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    Back in 2008 I had a new Ninja 250R and took the BRC to get my motorcycle license. If I passed the class I could skip taking the test at the DMV office.
    They had an older model 250 for me to use for the 2 days, so I used that. I didn't want to use my bike in a class with others who I didn't know how to ride. Some got kicked out of the class when they dropped their bikes too many times. Clutch and brake issues.

With the NC700, I wouldn't use it to take the class if a smaller, lighter bike with a lower seat height was available.
    There's always time to practice afterwards.