Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trip A not resetting after fueling?

Bike: '16 NC700X

Trip A not resetting after fueling?

OK, so I've had the bike a while, and I've figured out most of its quirks. The one thing that irks me still is the fuel thing. I have it turned to "on" in the dash and still it refuses to reset my trip.

I know this isnt the biggest issue in the world, but its one thing that I would really like to happen. My PCX did it!

Any insight? There looks like a pair of silver magnets near the gas cap and I've even tried doing a voodoo wave with the gas cap and pump to no avail.

Oh, its a 2016 700X

Bike: 2016 nc 750x
    Mine only resets if I refuel after the reserve light starts flashing.

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    1) Open the manual to the page for the instructions to reset the tripometer.
    2) Follow them.

I know it sounds like I'm being an *** (which to be fair, I naturally am an ***) but honestly I can memorize those instructions and execute them flawlessly at a gas pump, if the manual isn't nearby and opened to the page to reset the tripometer it doesn't work...
    Online instructions pulled up on my phone have a 20% success rate vs. 100%* with the book, even though the instructions are identical....

I don't know how, I don't understand why, but I'm near certain that the bike can sense the manual being open to those instructions and that unlocks the reset functionality in the bike...

I assume it's some sort of gypsy curse that was put on my bike before it was purchased... it's really the only explanation I can come up with that makes any sense.

But that's for my 2012... I think there was a recall for 2014's for a tripometer reset problem don't know if that continued into other model years...

Senior Member Trip A not resetting after fueling? StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    those of us with the original 2012 still have to remember to do that by hand. Wow, I had no idea the tripometers reset on their own when you refuel.
    Can you stop them from doing that?
    Sometimes it's useful to let "A" count the whole trip and "B" count the individual gas tank.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: '16 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by anglachel View Post
    1) Open the manual to the page for the instructions to reset the tripometer.
    2) Follow them.

I know it sounds like I'm being an *** (which to be fair, I naturally am an ***) but honestly I can memorize those instructions and execute them flawlessly at a gas pump, if the manual isn't nearby and opened to the page to reset the tripometer it doesn't work...
    Online instructions pulled up on my phone have a 20% success rate vs. 100%* with the book, even though the instructions are identical....

I don't know how, I don't understand why, but I'm near certain that the bike can sense the manual being open to those instructions and that unlocks the reset functionality in the bike...

I assume it's some sort of gypsy curse that was put on my bike before it was purchased... it's really the only explanation I can come up with that makes any sense.

But that's for my 2012... I think there was a recall for 2014's for a tripometer reset problem don't know if that continued into other model years...
    yeah ive done the manual dealio. no voodoo hoodoo luck. i *can* do it by hand but if its there, id like to utilize it!

Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    those of us with the original 2012 still have to remember to do that by hand. Wow, I had no idea the tripometers reset on their own when you refuel.
    Can you stop them from doing that?
    Sometimes it's useful to let "A" count the whole trip and "B" count the individual gas tank.
    Yes, in my gen you can turn it on/off to reset trip a when refueling.

Senior Member Trip A not resetting after fueling? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    It doesn't automatically reset? That's great! Trip odometers shouldn't.
    It's a silly feature that isn't needed and I could do without it. It isn't that hard to just hold down a reset button for a few seconds.
    I don't know why Honda feels I need to know how many miles I get once I'm in the "E segment" fuel mode. I was perfectly happy with seeing my overall miles per tank.
    I wanted to write down my per tank mileage the last time I filled up, but since it had gone into the "E segment" mode I couldn't see what the total miles were when I turned the bike back on. As I've been able to do with every other bike and car I've owned.

So I will need to check the manual to try to turn the feature off. Page 34 on the 2016 model. I might need a translator.

I might have changed the setting while trying to switch my clock to daylight saving time!

I've always used the B Odo to track the miles per chain lube.