Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NC700X - Does it Matter What Year to Buy?

Bike: CRF1000L, CRF250L, NC700X

NC700X - Does it Matter What Year to Buy?

I'm looking to buy one and have them available from 2012-2017 models in my area, starting from $4,000 to $8,299.

Is there a better year to buy? Were there worthwhile upgrades along the way?

DCT model if that makes a diff. Thanks!

Super Moderator NC700X - Does it Matter What Year to Buy? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    In my opinion, any of them are fine. The chassis, engine, and transmissions are all the same. 2014 brought a different display that added a few features. 2016 brought the three sport modes and the new bodywork. It's purely personal taste on the bodywork, but I like the original better except that the muffler is nicer on the 2016. I thought the three sport modes would be awesome, but after trying it out I didn't think it was work paying any extra for. The seat is bad on all of them.
    Last edited by 670cc; 9th April 2018 at 15:38. Reason: typo
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member NC700X - Does it Matter What Year to Buy? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Were there worthwhile upgrades along the way?
    No.

Buy the cheapest running DCT you can find....These are beginner bikes so there are a bunch of used ones out there. LOTS of riders get tired of whipping this little motorcycle on the freeway or otherwise outgrow it and end up selling. With a used bike you will probably have some of the deficiencies of the NC already addressed: Seat, windscreen, engine guards, highway pegs, etc. Those things (if bought new) cost a lot of $$$ and bring practically zero on resale. Great for an asute buyer ;-)

Ride it this season and if it doesn't work for you....sell it.

Don't buy new, you will lose your shirt when you either trade up or give up riding...... Seriously.

Once you have actually ridden one for a season, all your questions will be answered ;-)

What works for someone here might or might not work for you...Best would be to just swing a leg over one and give it a go. These are inexpensive motorcycles and if you by used you won't lose much in a season if it doesn't work out.

Good luck to you and hope you find a bike that meets your needs...
    Last edited by ld_rider; 9th April 2018 at 16:30.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    In my opinion, any of them are fine. The chassis, engine, and transmissions are all the same. 2014 brought a different display that added a few features. 2016 brought the three sport modes and the new bodywork. It's purely personal taste on the bodywork, but I like the original better except that the muffler is nicer on the 2016. I thought the three sport modes would be awesome, but after trying it out I didn't think it was work paying any extra for. The seat is bad on all of them.
    I just got a used 2014 (with only 500 miles), and really like the looks and ergos of the bike. The only thing I like better about the newer versions is that muffler. So that got me wondering if one could replace the older muffler with the newer one? Any idea?...

Bike: NC 700x
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Mike View Post
    I just got a used 2014 (with only 500 miles), and really like the looks and ergos of the bike. The only thing I like better about the newer versions is that muffler. So that got me wondering if one could replace the older muffler with the newer one? Any idea?...
    Yoshimura makes a fine slip on I really liked

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700X
    [QUOTE=drstimpy;198704]Yoshimura makes a fine slip on I really liked
    If possible, I rather get an OEM, since the after market ones are usually louder. And I want to be as quiet as I can get. But I appreciate the suggestion, and if you know of any REALLY quiet after market exhausts, please let me know.

Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I thought the three sport modes would be awesome
    I thought the same thing and purchased a 2016 model. I have yet to put it in anything other than D

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    No.

Buy the cheapest running DCT you can find....These are beginner bikes so there are a bunch of used ones out there. LOTS of riders get tired of whipping this little motorcycle on the freeway or otherwise outgrow it and end up selling. With a used bike you will probably have some of the deficiencies of the NC already addressed: Seat, windscreen, engine guards, highway pegs, etc. Those things (if bought new) cost a lot of $$$ and bring practically zero on resale. Great for an asute buyer ;-)

Ride it this season and if it doesn't work for you....sell it.

Don't buy new, you will lose your shirt when you either trade up or give up riding...... Seriously.

Once you have actually ridden one for a season, all your questions will be answered ;-)

What works for someone here might or might not work for you...Best would be to just swing a leg over one and give it a go. These are inexpensive motorcycles and if you by used you won't lose much in a season if it doesn't work out.

Good luck to you and hope you find a bike that meets your needs...
    I can see where you were going with this but I have to question a couple of the things you said:
    Where are there bunches of NC700X for sale? The NC usually has the least amount of ads on CycleTrader and CraigsList. I'll see 20 ads for a CBR or CBX before seeing an NC and that's searching for Honda bikes only.
    "LOTS of riders..." get rid of these bikes. Who? Most of the people on this forum seem to keep these bikes for years. Some will have multiple bikes but the NC seems to hold a special spot in everyones heart.

You're absolutely right that the stock seat and windscreen suck. And don't add to the resale or trade in value but if you're like me, I didn't buy mine to trade or sale.
    It is a good beginner bike but its great a commuter. It can do highways but thats not its strong point and someone looking for that shouldn't buy it to begin with.
    Good advice, buy a used one and ride for a season. Better advice, sit on as many bikes as you can and go on as many test rides as possible before buying anything. It will prevent, or at least cut down, on buyers remorse.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I'm somewhere in between the last two points, the NC is near perfect for commuting or as an all around. I think you see more CBR's and such for resale because allot more of them are sold in the first place, yes the NC is a great beginner bike especially with the DCT option but most of the people selling it are younger riders that want to go faster or have way more power, some of those that sold their NC but stayed part of the forum have actually said they regretted selling their NC even though their replacement motorcycle was better then the NC, at least on paper. I would like more power but then it would be even heavier and probably lose the frunk. For the price of a used NC you'd be hard pressed to find a better bike unless you have specific goals, i.e. if you want to ride off road mostly or ride 140mph the NC isn't the best even for its price, but for 90% of riders, it does what you want, better then most actually.
    P.s. I commute 120 miles per work day 118 of that is on the freeway/highway if you like riding a bit faster go up one tooth on the front sprocket, I did and I'm very happy with it.

Senior Member NC700X - Does it Matter What Year to Buy? ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Techrat View Post
    I can see where you were going with this but I have to question a couple of the things you said:
    Where are there bunches of NC700X for sale?
    About twenty or so bike for sale on this forum alone.

Cycle Trader has 144 ads for used NCs sale right now and 500+ total for sale. That is a lot of motorcycles. Sure, some ads are probably duplicates, but believe me, there are LOTs of used NCs around if you look.

Quote Originally Posted by Techrat View Post
    I'll see 20 ads for a CBR or CBX before seeing an NC and that's searching for Honda bikes only
    That is because searching for "CBR" will display every Honda CBR motorcycle from 250cc to 1000cc which is quite a range. If you narrow your used motorcycle search to say "600cc" and start in year 2012 (the year the NC was introduced) you will find that there are only 96 for sale (vs 144 NCs).

Why so many used NCs? Some riders get weary of whipping a 500lb/ 50hp motorcycle and move up. I've seen it happen here many times since I joined the forum...the result is a lots of used bikes with very low mileage at really good prices. Another reason is lot of beginners and re-entry riders simply give it a go and then decide riding isn't for them. Nothing wrong with the bike or their decision, riding a motorcycle just didn't work out.

Some of the riders I know that gave up on the NC moved to rides like a BMW GSA (!), Yamaha Tenere, FJR1300 (but kept the NC) and of course a bunch are now on an Africa Twin.

Finally, I think the reason most of the people of this forum seem to keep their bikes for years is because most of the riders that have sold their bikes aren't on this forum any longer, leaving (you guessed it!) a forum full of riders that have kept their bike for years ;-)
    Last edited by ld_rider; 10th April 2018 at 08:04.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540