Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to find a harness number

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT

Trying to find a harness number

I have a new 2016 NC700x DCT ABS and I want to have power for a phone charger on my handle bars. I found a loose connector on my left front fork that has 3 power pins and what looks like a wide pin for maybe ground on it and it is just hanging there unconnected to anything. Honda can't help because it's not listed on the harness diagram. I see a clip next to what I think is the harness on the wiring diagram and it's marked number 25. I am guessing it might be Fog lights or maybe just an unused extra.
    I was wondering if anyone has ever noticed this connector on a 2016 NC700X DCT and know what it is and where I can find the correct connector that goes to it. I could run power back to the battery for my iPhone jack but I would rather have it be switched power. If all else fails, when I remove all the plastics, I will just test these wire for power and go from there but I would rather use a Honda Harness for it.
    If you look down behind the fairing just in front of the handle bars, you will see it tied to the left fork, pointing down with no cover.
    Thanks in advance if anyone has any info on this.

Trying to find a harness number-harness-jpg
    Here is a picture of it.

Senior Member Trying to find a harness number
    Trying to find a harness number

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS
    It is for the heated grips. It has a ground and a main switch power plus some kind of signal line to the dash. (GRP HEATER)

Bottom YOP Box:

Thanks for the info. I was able to remove a dummy plug, which is what you see in the photo but it's a kind of do it yourself plug to add wires to it. Of course there is no advertised way to get it to work as a real plug. It would have been a great power tap for my handlebar electronics.
    Does that mean Honda makes a connector you can buy that fits it for the heated grips?

Super Moderator Trying to find a harness number 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by smegma11 View Post
    Thanks for the info. I was able to remove a dummy plug, which is what you see in the photo but it's a kind of do it yourself plug to add wires to it. Of course there is no advertised way to get it to work as a real plug. It would have been a great power tap for my handlebar electronics.
    Does that mean Honda makes a connector you can buy that fits it for the heated grips?
    The Honda heated grip kit will come with a mating connector on it's harness. But if you have no intention of buying the Honda heated grips, you can tap into the ground and switched power wires feeding this connector for your handlebar power needs. It's not like you really need the mating connector.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Is it the 3P connector?

Quote Originally Posted by supertux1 View Post
    It is for the heated grips. It has a ground and a main switch power plus some kind of signal line to the dash. (GRP HEATER)

Bottom YOP Box:

So I would tap into the Violet Red and Main Switch wire?

Is it the 3P connector?

Quote Originally Posted by supertux1 View Post

Bottom YOP Box:

So I would tap into the Violet Red Main Switch wire and ground?

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The Honda heated grip kit will come with a mating connector on it's harness. But if you have no intention of buying the Honda heated grips, you can tap into the ground and switched power wires feeding this connector for your handlebar power needs. It's not like you really need the mating connector.
    Looking at diagrams online for installing these grips, they all show it connecting to the frunk optional power plug.

Super Moderator Trying to find a harness number 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by smegma11 View Post
    Looking at diagrams online for installing these grips, they all show it connecting to the frunk optional power plug.
    I did the research.

You’re apparently looking at diagrams for model years earlier than yours. 2015 and prior heated grips connect to the accessory harness. However, in the instructions for the 2016+ grips (linked below), I believe steps 33 and 34 shows the heated grip kit connecting to the 3P connector that you identified in the first post of this thread. That’s where the grips get their power and where the signal goes out to the combination meter. Refer to the wiring diagram on page 2 and note the wire colors for the 3P connector and compare to what you see on your bike.

https://powersports.honda.com/docume...70-MKA-D80.pdf

Also note that this same pdf shows how to remove some of the body panels.
    Last edited by 670cc; 11th March 2018 at 07:17.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Yes, that does match better and uses the 3P connector. That explains a lot. Thanks
    Last edited by smegma11; 11th March 2018 at 11:00.