Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NC700X New Owner?

Bike: 2012 NC700X

NC700X New Owner!

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bike to replace a previous bike, and discovered the NC700x while searching ads.

ME: 5'8" and 31" inseam. My riding experience is low. I had a Yamaha XT350 dual sport that I rode to work for half a year but sold when they transferred me (didn't want to move it). A couple decades back when I was active duty I found a Combat Control XT350 leaning against the dumpster at the base DRMO. The guy there told me they turned it in but didn't have any records or paperwork so all they could do was heave it into the dumpster; they heaved it into the bed of my truck instead and I got it running and learned to ride. So two bikes, both XT350s, both owned for about six months, are the sum total of my experience.

The bike I'm looking at is a 2012 NC700X with about 1250 miles. The seller is being very patient with me as I ask a lot of dumb questions. He's including the side luggage with liners, taller windscreen, factory windscreen, other odds and ends. He's asking $4K.

I had never heard of this bike before and have since watched every video I can find. I like the low CG. I don't think its performance will be an issue for me coming from only the XT350s. My commute is about 20 minutes from my house to a Navy base, no highway.

Thoughts? Good deal? Things to look for? Suggestions?
    Last edited by Mainsail; 9th March 2018 at 19:00.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Welcome fellow inland northwesterner!! Glad you joined us, i'm about 300 miles east of you. I too just bought a 2012 NC700x with 1712 miles on it when purchased. Grab that one, it sure sounds like a great deal and a great price with the accessories he has with it. You will not be disappointed with the NC700, it is an amazing bike. I too owned an XT350 that i had spent a lot of $$$ fixing it up for myself just to have my son talk me out of it when he returned home from an overseas deployment a couple of years ago. He fell in love with that XT350 at first ride. He then put about 10k on it in just a short time riding all over the western half of the country just to loose the oil pump. Anyway, great bikes the XT's are and they have their place. I let my son ride my new-to-me NC700x and he loved it. He too is talking about getting one now that he rode mine and felt the balanced power, smooth corners and killer gas mileage!! So, purchase that bike with confidence and enjoy the many "Smiles per Gallon" you'll receive enjoying it!! :{)

Senior Member NC700X New Owner? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    I spent some time up in the PNW and Whidbey Island.
    If I had to have a bike with me it would be the NC700X. Lots of storage possibilities, it won't cry if you take it down a dirt road to get to the beach and provides decent protection against the steady mist/rain.
    And the lower speeds (under 60 mph once you get off the freeway) mean great MPG!

Senior Member NC700X New Owner?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Suggest an MSF course to fill in training gaps that may not be filled with experience yet. Lot of people like the bike here

Senior Member NC700X New Owner? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    Suggest an MSF course to fill in training gaps that may not be filled with experience yet. Lot of people like the bike here
    I believe since he works on a Navy base, he will have to take a MSF course of some kind. Mandatory on military installations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by davidc83 View Post
    I believe since he works on a Navy base, he will have to take a MSF course of some kind. Mandatory on military installations.
    I took the course on the XT in March (cold!) when I bought the bike. Yes, it is mandatory and the gov must allow the admin leave for DoD employees to attend. My old boss was trying to push me to take annual leave, but the Safety office called him and set him straight. He believed that I should use my leave because I didn't "need" to ride on base, but all DoD employees are required to take the course regardless of where they intend to ride; than means it doesn't come out of your leave bucket. My old boss didn't want that info to get out because then they'd have to pay time and expenses for all the riders in the Bellevue office.

The Pass & ID office was kind enough to register my taking the class as a military retiree instead of under civil service, so I will never need to take a refresher course.

Bike: 2013 NC700XD, 2010 NT700V, 1987 XL600R
    If you could ride the XT350, you will not have an issues riding an NC700X.

The price checks out with Nada Guides in your area, you should go pick it up.

One thing about the NC700X, the engine's redline is at about 6,500 RPM. The rev limiter will come on if you exceed that. When it does it will seem like the bike is coming apart or the world is ending.

Good luck on the acquisition.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    2013 NC700XD (DCT) - NaNCy
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

NC700X New Owner?

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    Welcome aboard. I am in Olympia and absolutely love the NC. I commute to work all year (except when it's icy -as it is right now). As Brillot mentioned, you should have no problem handling the NC with the experience that you noted.

I am about your size as well. I did install some handlebar risers so I could lay the bars back a little and maintain an upright seating position. The tall windscreen is useful and the luggage makes the bike very practical for commuting. Won't try to judge the price without seeing the bike (tires and such) but $4k doesn't sound bad with the few extras that you mentioned. I saw a near-new bike in centralia for $4200 but it had no bags and a stock windscreen.

Take care and stay in touch. I am hoping to put together some rides this summer and there are about 1/2 dozen NC riders in the area.
    >Thom
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

It's home!
    Attached Images Attached Images NC700X New Owner?-bikehome-jpg NC700X New Owner?-bikehome3-jpg 

NC700X New Owner?

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    Congrats. You're gonna love it.
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.