Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it?

Senior Member Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it?
    Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it?

Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    The only way that I have come up with for scratching an itch (or adjusting gloves or ???) is to engage my throttle lock. Otherwise Skookum tends to slow down pretty quickly.
    >Thom
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.

Bike: DCT
    When you listen to the sound track, the NC700X rider did not even have WOT.The Vee rider doesn't know how to shift; that's all the video showed.

Super Moderator Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Yep, forgot about that. I don’t have/use a throttle lock, but that would be the solution.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Just a point of reference, when the throttle is held wide open the DCT shifts at the same just-short-of-rev limiter rpm in gears 2 through 6 no matter if D or any S mode is selected.
    I don't think this is how the shift points are programmed, but
    unless you are well aware of engine rpm, wheel speed and throttle angle while riding,
    shift points could feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Yes, the DCT technology is amazing. With the DCT, is there a way to take your hand off the throttle to adjust clothing or scratch your nose while cruising and not have the bike slow down under engine braking? When test riding them, I didn’t think it would go to neutral unless stopped, and of course, there’s no control over the clutch.
    I've used the kill switch on downhills for short duration to let the bike coast.
    Switch back on to resume riding at whatever gear DCT chose to be in.

Senior Member Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    I don't think this is how the shift points are programmed, but
    unless you are well aware of engine rpm, wheel speed and throttle angle while riding,
    shift points could feel the same.
    Based on personal observations these are exactly how the D and S shift points work on my bike. I don't have to think about it, I went out one day to see for myself. It's really simple. Launch in D, hold the throttle wide open until it shifts into 6th, and watch the tach for when it shifts each time. Stop, place in S and repeat.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

DCT Shift map

If you look at Fig.24 the
    shift point differences for each mode is shown:
    Note the line plots are different for each mode regardless of throttle opening angle.
    Subtle differences but not the same.
    Attached Images Attached Images Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it?-crf1000l-shift-map-jpg 
    Last edited by DCTFAN; 13th February 2018 at 06:38.

Senior Member Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    If you look at Fig.24 the
    shift point differences for each mode is shown:
    Note the line plots are different for each mode regardless of throttle opening angle.
    Subtle differences but not the same.
    Thats for the AT with ride by wire and functions the NC doesn't have. The second generation DCT in the NC doesn't have the same programming as the 3rd in the AT.

Why don't you see if your CTX acts like an NC does?
    Last edited by dduelin; 13th February 2018 at 08:03.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Thats for the AT with ride by wire and functions the NC doesn't have. The second generation DCT in the NC doesn't have the same programming as the 3rd in the AT.

Why don't you see if your CTX acts like an NC does?
    You're right they are not the same.
    My reasoning is that the underlying principle of programming different shift points for each mode is the same.
    Also, if anyone bothers to study the graphs, we can see that the differences in shift points become minuscule,
    as the throttle angle increases.
    So, I will agree that the shift points @WOT are ALMOST the same, but not exactly the SAME

PS. When I used to have both the CTX700 and the NC, there were no noticeable differences in acceleration.

Senior Member Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it?
    Bit of fun: Honda NC700X DCT smokes a Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom... or does it?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Yes, the DCT technology is amazing. With the DCT, is there a way to take your hand off the throttle to adjust clothing or scratch your nose while cruising and not have the bike slow down under engine braking? When test riding them, I didn’t think it would go to neutral unless stopped, and of course, there’s no control over the clutch.

Taking the hand off the throttle will slow the bike down on either manual shift or DCT but what I CAN do on the DCT is take my hand off the throttle, adjust clothing, scratch my nose - with the throttle hand - all the while gliding to a stop at the light or stop sign - continue to steer with my left hand without clutching, plant my left foot down as I brake with the right, and be in the right gear and ready to go when my throttle hand leisurely finishes scratching my nuts.
    Last edited by Red Rider; 13th February 2018 at 15:43. Reason: Wording