Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Surgery

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinfree.00 View Post
    Those engine guards can be found on ebay under a different brand cheaper because of free shipping.

Mutazu Black 2 piece Engine Guard Highway Crash Bar for Honda NC700S NC700X | eBay

In your pics what kind of auxiliary lights do you have? And are they mounted on the Denali mount?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Those are Denali and they have 4 LED's. two are flood and two are driving lights. They are bright and light up the night. I made the mount out of aluminum flat stock. 1/2" thick by 1.5" wide. Bolted it up under the nose. It is strong. Before I got the crash bars the daughter dumped it in a friend's gravel drive. That mount took the impact and didn't hurt or scratch anything on the bike. I had to cut out part of the mount so the fork tubes don't hit it going from lock to lock.

Now where were you two years ago when I was searching for different sources for those crash bars?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Those engine guards can be found on ebay under a different brand cheaper because of free shipping.

Mutazu Black 2 piece Engine Guard Highway Crash Bar for Honda NC700S NC700X | eBay

In your pics what kind of auxiliary lights do you have? And are they mounted on the Denali mount?

I just looked at these. These look flat black and mine are a nice gloss black. Your posted link said $179. I just looked at the Kijima brand on WeBike.com and they were 110 USD and 55 shipping. Which is $165 and $14 dollars cheaper. Also you can buy other things from WeBike and combine it all.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    I just looked at these. These look flat black and mine are a nice gloss black. Your posted link said $179. I just looked at the Kijima brand on WeBike.com and they were 110 USD and 55 shipping. Which is $165 and $14 dollars cheaper. Also you can buy other things from WeBike and combine it all.

Few weeks ago they had them for $143.

Few weeks ago they had them for $143.

That would be cheaper!

Bike: Honda

Those are very nice looking engine guards

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    You may want to consider a scooter. I have a Piaggio MP3 500 with footpegs for both rider and pillion. Works great on long rides. I commute on it ~130 miles per day and have gone as far as 650 miles in a day a couple of times. Stepthrough design is nice, and footpegs are AWESOME for longer rides. Back Surgery-img_0525-jpg

Super Moderator Back Surgery 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    You may want to consider a scooter. I have a Piaggio MP3 500 with footpegs for both rider and pillion. Works great on long rides. I commute on it ~130 miles per day and have gone as far as 650 miles in a day a couple of times. Stepthrough design is nice, and footpegs are AWESOME for longer rides.
    Were the footpegs an option or aftermarket add-on to the MP3? I agree that footpegs are great on a scooter, so as to allow positioning the feet below the rider instead of out front, as most scooters do. I added footpegs to my and my wife's Rucki (plural of Ruckus?) to relieve back discomfort on long rides.
    Last edited by 670cc; 13th January 2018 at 09:46.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Were the footpegs an option of aftermarket add-on to the MP3? I agree that footpegs are great on a scooter, so as to allow positioning the feet below the rider instead of out front, as most scooters do. I added footpegs to my and my wife's Rucki (plural of Ruckus?) to relieve back discomfort on long rides.
    Yes, aftermarket, and not from a well known source outside the scooter clique. There's this guy on a forum.... I believe he has sold around 100 sets, perhaps more.

Bike: Honda NC750D Integra
    I have aftermarket footpegs on my NC Integra. I also have back and knee problems, so this setup gives me relief for whatever hurts first on long trips. I can tuck my legs under me and sit straight up to help my back, or stretch legs on floorboards in several positions to help the knees. Best of both worlds. Plus I still get to enjoy DCT and motorcycle performance unlike the CVT with scooterish chassis. Donít get me wrong, I like scooters and I do have one, but for longer trips outside of town Iíd rather ride something else.

Senior Member Triumph 'n Shadow's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Honda NC700X, 2015 Triumph Tiger XRx, 1992 Honda Shadow
    Arkridia:

I have owned and enjoyed a 2013 NC700X for 4 years now.
    Like you, I have a bad back.

Several points to make:

The foot positioning does feel a lot better on the NC than it does with a foot forward position bike.
    I test rode a Triumph America after years of NC riding and found the cruiser forward controls less comfortable.
    It makes me lean back more throwing my feet out forward putting pressure (and so pain) on my back.
    As been stated, you can place highway pegs on it to give you an alternate position for your legs/feet.

Bar risers helped push the handle bars back to me allowing an even more upright riding position.

A taller windscreen will take wind pressure off of you making riding more enjoyable.

I have a 28 inch inseam and still enjoy the NC a lot.
    Yes, flat footing is difficult and requires me to slide a little more left or right on the seat to do so.

Everyone has different sensors in their backsides!
    Some will ride 500 miles on the stock seat and not feel a thing.
    Others, like myself, can only go an hour before starting to feel uncomfortable.
    Consider seat beads and/or a new seat depending on your "sensors!"

One of the reasons the NC is not the price of a comparable BMW or Triumph is due to less hi grade parts.
    One of the main is the suspension.
    Depending on how much you will want to put into the bike will help you decide if you would like to pay the money to upgrade the shocks.
    This will help move the bike into a higher riding comfort status.

Also, making this bike nice for your back issues is the fact it wears it's weight way down low.
    It is not top heavy at all.
    You should feel how easy it is to maneuver around a garage or patio.
    Also, it is so balanced due to the weight down low that riding this bike at walking speeds is insanely easy.
    I can ride mine 2 or 3 MPH with out any wobble or thought of having to put a foot down.
    The gas tank is under the rear seat moving that weight beneath you.
    Plus, the engine sits way down low in front.
    Look at the engine on the NC and then at the bike next to it.
    In fact, ALL the bikes next to it!

YES, it will do highway speeds without any difficulty.
    It just does not have the punch to shoot out around someone real quickly.
    You can pass, it just does not jump out to do it.

Living in north central Penna. I enjoy all of our two lane roads as well.
    And even many, many mountain roads.
    Yes, it will handle the gravel roads just fine.
    In fact, it shines on these roads because the engine is so torquey down in the lower gears.

The listed MPG on this bike is 64.
    I get between 74 and 78 constantly and have hit a high of 81.
    It sounds like your riding style is similar to mine.
    A little slower enjoying the back roads with an occasional highway run.
    If you are showing signs of wrist issues I feel the DCT would be a good consideration.
    I have the manual but I have only heard good things about the DCT model.
    In fact, Honda is bringing out there highest grade bike, the Honda Goldwing, in DCT for 2018 if I heard correctly.

The NC is not in the same class as the V Strom or the Verseys.
    They are two totally different bikes.
    I think you would enjoy this bike.

My thoughts.

God bless and stay safe on whatever you ride.

Michael