Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 717

Thread: 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

  1. #691
    Super Moderator 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,104
    Quote Originally Posted by maxou723 View Post
    So I charged the battery yesterday and left it overnight and it’s at 12.6v today. I’m gonna clean the terminals and reinstall and try it.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depending on which chart you chose, 12.6 volts resting open circuit voltage isn’t all that bad. What we don’t know without a load test is the internal resistance and the cranking amps. But your problem originally was a very low voltage condition. This needs to be investigated separately. There was likely a parasitic load that drained it, or a fault in the charging system that allowed the battery to discharge while the motorcycle was running. Cleaning the terminals and very closely monitoring the battery voltage is the place to start. The next measurement you need to make is the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running at 3000-4000 RPM with all accessories on. It should be over 14 volts.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  2. #692
    Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Puget Sound WA
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    You've got to start somewhere and think of all the motorcycle collecting mouth balls, at least your out there riding2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

    I can think of 5 guys with motorcycles that don't get that many miles a year
    It was a great ride. I understand better about buffeting when at freeway speeds and the noise.

    I had a troublesome start right in the driveway when I realized I hadn't started the dash-cam app on the phone and while fiddling and braking I stalled the bike. Then it did NOT want to restart; acted like the battery didn't have enough power to turn it over. I think I must have killed it on the compression stroke and the starter couldn't overcome it. After a few minutes it reluctantly started and I never had a problem with numerous starts since then.
    I don't want a pickle.....

  3. #693
    Senior Member 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? maxou723's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC700XA
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Depending on which chart you chose, 12.6 volts resting open circuit voltage isn’t all that bad. What we don’t know without a load test is the internal resistance and the cranking amps. But your problem originally was a very low voltage condition. This needs to be investigated separately. There was likely a parasitic load that drained it, or a fault in the charging system that allowed the battery to discharge while the motorcycle was running. Cleaning the terminals and very closely monitoring the battery voltage is the place to start. The next measurement you need to make is the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running at 3000-4000 RPM with all accessories on. It should be over 14 volts.
    So the battery was well at 14.6v when idling. Went to the dealer to inquire how much for a new Yuasa battery and they quoted me $263 + tax (almost $300 CDN).

  4. #694
    Super Moderator 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,104
    Quote Originally Posted by maxou723 View Post
    So the battery was well at 14.6v when idling. Went to the dealer to inquire how much for a new Yuasa battery and they quoted me $263 + tax (almost $300 CDN).
    If you think you need a new battery, go on line and buy the Motocross brand battery. It’s made by Yuasa. Same battery, different label, lower price. The Yuasa branded battery is for dealers to sell at high markup, whereas the Motocross brand is sold in competitive markets.
    Last edited by 670cc; 11th July 2018 at 06:29.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  5. #695
    Senior Member 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    Bike: '14 DCT
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Loonyville, KY
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by maxou723 View Post
    So the battery was well at 14.6v when idling. Went to the dealer to inquire how much for a new Yuasa battery and they quoted me $263 + tax (almost $300 CDN).
    I've been told that the cheap Walmart version is also made by Yusa. It may or may not be true. In any case, I wouldn't worry much about which brand, there's only so many ways to manufacture a lead acid battery. Cheap/expensive, it doesn't matter much. You may just want to shop for price.
    "Roads are just a suggestion, like pants."

  6. #696
    Senior Member 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Athens, GA
    Posts
    480
    Today I did the same thing I do every day I ride. I cleaned the spider webs off the bars and forks. I have a resident spider who is very industrious.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #697
    Senior Member Rapturee's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Post Falls IDAHO
    Posts
    383
    Heh, today i started removing gthe factory rear grab bars to bolt on my new-to-me factory Honda touring luggage set that i just scored from a fellow NC700 rider from Spokane. Tomorrow after work i get to pick up the Luggage set and all of the mounting hardware. I got a great deal on the set for cash and my stock bars. Hated to spend that much cash, but wow it was a good deal! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

  8. #698
    Senior Member rippin209's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Heh, today i started removing gthe factory rear grab bars to bolt on my new-to-me factory Honda touring luggage set that i just scored from a fellow NC700 rider from Spokane. Tomorrow after work i get to pick up the Luggage set and all of the mounting hardware. I got a great deal on the set for cash and my stock bars. Hated to spend that much cash, but wow it was a good deal! :{)
    You'll be glad you did, I don't have the top box but I use my side cases almost every time I ride and I know the rear rack is useful

  9. #699
    Senior Member 2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today? superdedooperman's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Red Honda NC700X
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Heh, today i started removing gthe factory rear grab bars to bolt on my new-to-me factory Honda touring luggage set that i just scored from a fellow NC700 rider from Spokane. Tomorrow after work i get to pick up the Luggage set and all of the mounting hardware. I got a great deal on the set for cash and my stock bars. Hated to spend that much cash, but wow it was a good deal! :{)
    Awesome! Yea, you won't be sorry. Used my top case for lots of stuff. It'll hold a surprising amount of groceries! Added the Tusk boxes and will be adding my top box back on as soon as the parts come in! I've definitely missed not having my top case temporarily. It's a nice 45 liter case that I can put tons of stuff in. Congrats on the deal!

  10. #700
    Senior Member Therapy's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 XD
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    West Central Fl.
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by superdedooperman View Post
    Awesome! Yea, you won't be sorry. Used my top case for lots of stuff. It'll hold a surprising amount of groceries!
    !
    I had a box oh so many years ago. I traveled with it too. It was good at folding, spindling, mutilating and pureeing multitudes of groceries. It could make the best oil and grease containers foam open. . It could make a milk shake, strawberry smoothie or scrambled eggs (with shells) in a jiffy though. It was a marvel.

Similar Threads

  1. 2017: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    By maxou723 in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 1911
    Last Post: 26th March 2018, 02:01
  2. Rented an nc700 today.
    By T S N in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 16th October 2016, 20:23
  3. 2015: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?
    By maxou723 in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 1669
    Last Post: 1st January 2016, 06:50
  4. So what did you do TO your NC700 today.
    By JDE in forum NC700 Mods
    Replies: 2729
    Last Post: 21st February 2015, 06:51
  5. 2013: What did you do WITH your NC700 today?
    By happy in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 791
    Last Post: 14th January 2014, 12:32

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •