Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Replacement Battery

Bike: CBR250 NC700X CBR500R
    [QUOTE=Klap;205455]Iím a belt and suspenders kinda guy, plus, why run it all the time, which no doubt wastes kw hours, when from observation, I know it only usually requires a few minutes twice a day to top it up?
    The green LED flashes at full charge, and rarely goes to solid green ( needs a charge) between itís scheduled charges.
    I have had several trickle type chargers, but this one is by far the best, and longest lasting. I gave up on Battery Tenders long ago after finding out how weak their customer service was.

I have that same charger, and would not use it on my NCX. That charger is designed for wet cell car batteries and I would not trust it to cut-off consistently on a small sealed AGM battery. You really need something like an Optimate3. Battery Tender makes a 6/12 volt charger you could use on your bike or car. Not as sophisticated as the Optimate but a lot cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Trickle-Autom...VCR8G1BTSM6BX6

Bike: ST1300, Honda Helix
    [QUOTE=Hondafan;205615]
    Quote Originally Posted by Klap View Post
    Iím a belt and suspenders kinda guy, plus, why run it all the time, which no doubt wastes kw hours, when from observation, I know it only usually requires a few minutes twice a day to top it up?
    The green LED flashes at full charge, and rarely goes to solid green ( needs a charge) between itís scheduled charges.
    I have had several trickle type chargers, but this one is by far the best, and longest lasting. I gave up on Battery Tenders long ago after finding out how weak their customer service was.

I have that same charger, and would not use it on my NCX. That charger is designed for wet cell car batteries and I would not trust it to cut-off consistently on a small sealed AGM battery. You really need something like an Optimate3. Battery Tender makes a 6/12 volt charger you could use on your bike or car. Not as sophisticated as the Optimate but a lot cheaper.
    https://www.amazon.com/Trickle-Autom...VCR8G1BTSM6BX6
    While it may not be specific to AGM batteries, I have used it on them for over 10 years, with great results. My last AGM battery, a Scorpion, lasted 7+ years, and the battery in my Helix is coming up on 4 years old.
    Iíd be willing to guess that it works just fine with AGM batteries with those results.
    Iíd NEVER, EVER buy another Deltran/Battery Tender product after dealing with their customer service folks . I tried to get warranty service on a 10 month old unit, and they told me there was a 35$ ďhandling feeĒ to process my replacement, plus Iíd have to send the old unit to them at MY expense. To be clear, that was 9$ more than I paid for the original unit. Their warranty is a joke!!

Never again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2015 Honda 700XD, 2018 Yamaha XMAX 300
    Just paid $85 for a new battery for my 2015 NC700 XD. I have owned the bike for six months. I ride all year, and think last week freeze deteriorated my batter. I didn't want to be stuck somewhere. Since I ride daily, and have replaced other batteries at 4+ years in warmer climates, I was having intermitten issues. I decided to replace my battery. The battery was testing yellow under load.

Senior Member Replacement Battery GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Just ordered the Mighty Max YTZ14s from Amazon for $45 delivered. My 2015 DCT had the dreaded "click click" today when I tried to fire it up to move it to get to Christmas decorations. Not too disappointed - it's the original battery, and I bought the bike new in late August 2015 so I assume the battery could have already been a year or more old. It's on a tender most of the time and it gets ridden frequently. I'm going to check the date code (assuming I can find it and interpret it) once I remove it. For $45 I have no complaints.

Bike: NC700x
    Still on my first battery on my 2012 NC700x I bought new in 2012 and over 48,000 miles. I keep it on a trickle charger when not use for a few days or if it gets below 32F overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Just ordered the Mighty Max YTZ14s from Amazon for $45 delivered. My 2015 DCT had the dreaded "click click" today when I tried to fire it up to move it to get to Christmas decorations. Not too disappointed - it's the original battery, and I bought the bike new in late August 2015 so I assume the battery could have already been a year or more old. It's on a tender most of the time and it gets ridden frequently. I'm going to check the date code (assuming I can find it and interpret it) once I remove it. For $45 I have no complaints.
    Does anyone know how to tell the when a battery was made? There are some hieroglyphics on the battery but they are unintelligible and google has not helped.

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    You’ve to contact with the manufacturer...

Replacement Battery

Got the new battery in. Old one has been on the charger for several days and measured just over 11v no load. Charged the new battery on the bench and installed it and it fired the bike right up.

On a side note - the guy who designed the battery terminals on these batteries should be beaten with a live horseshoe crab. By the time you have a couple addíl power lines added getting the terminals attached is just a ridiculously hard job. I use a power hub for almost everything, but still have a couple direct to battery connections. It really could be much, much easier.

Oh, and a couple more inches on the positive cable by Honda would make this a lot easier too. Replacement Battery

Last edited by GregC; 25th December 2018 at 08:36.