Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold weather gear choices?

Member Cold weather gear choices? BigGuppy's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC700x DCT

Cold weather gear choices?

As mentioned elsewhere, yesterday it was in the low 30s in NJ. To try out cold weather riding, I put on every piece of wool I could find and for the most part I did ok:

• Icebreaker 200 wool leggings
    • Icebreaker 150 wool t-shirt
    • Woolrich wool pants
    • Wool sweater
    • Bombas wool socks
    • Polyester balaclava

I covered it all with Kilm Goretex pants, Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket, leather boots, and regular riding gloves.

Biggest findings:
    • My regular riding gloves have tiny holes, and since they're wrist length only, the wind tended to go up the arms. I velcroed my jacket tight at the wrists, but I'd rather have gauntlet style gloves for these temperatures.
    • The handgrip heater was not a good way to keep my hands warm. My palms roasted but my thumb and fingertips froze. I found myself holding my handlebars differently for heat rather than for the best controlling grip--not good. Heated gloves, maybe
    • The icebreaker long sleeve undershirt would have worked better than the short sleeve (I just couldn't find it)
    • Bombas wool socks were not warm enough, and my feet went a little numb. Maybe I just needed a thicker pair of wool socks. From my road cycling days, I know that cheap grocery store plastic bags make good windbreakers for feet, which I might bring along next time.

All in all a good ride. Back of the neck got a little cold, arms got a little cold, palms roasted, and the feet went numb. But I did fine and felt it was a success.

Senior Member Cold weather gear choices? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    FYI - I use these glove liners in really cold weather because the aluminized fabric seems to hold heat better and spread the heat of my Oxford heated grips better:

Glove Liners

I'm also trying these "lobster" style gloves this year so I get the benefit of mittens on all but my index and thumb (so I can still manually shift the DTC):

Gordini Gauntlet Gloves

As long as there little chance of ice on the road and it's not snowing, I'll ride.

Senior Member Cold weather gear choices?
    Bike: 2015 NC700X DCT
    Shoe full-face helmet.
    Battery powered Warmthru gloves.
    An extra layer under Aerostich one-piece suit (over my jeans and button-down work clothes).
    Merino wool socks.
    I just started using a 'neck-gator' around my neck (not over my my face) to cover the gap between helmet and riding suit.
    So far, this has gotten me through my 30 minute commute in temps down to 33 degrees, rain or dry, in relative comfort.
    I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up.
    The idea is to die young as late as possible.

Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    There is no substitute for good heated vest or liner and good heated grips and or heated gloves.

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Besides heated gear (I just use snowmobile gloves) this is the best $15 you can spend to keep your hands warm.

TUST MOTORCYCLE HAND MITTS
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Senior Member Cold weather gear choices? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

Cold weather gear choices?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    Besides heated gear (I just use snowmobile gloves) this is the best $15 you can spend to keep your hands warm.

TUST MOTORCYCLE HAND MITTS
    Has anyone used these on a DCT? I wonder where they hit on the left grip (do they cover the parking brake, can you easily use the paddle shifters, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Has anyone used these on a DCT? I wonder where they hit on the left grip (do they cover the parking brake, can you easily use the paddle shifters, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I opened up the stitching on the inside and you can get them on pretty much anything with no issues...

Like this.... (not my bike, a dude sent me this pic to guide me as well)

Cold weather gear choices?-20171108_174905-jpg
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT, 2011 Can-am SPYDER RT-S SE5
    Barkbusters or cheaper Chinese version until it gets too cold, then the muffs. I put these over the Barkbusters. To use the parking brake you have to undo the Velcro strap once stopped.

Warning! You do have to do some things by feel while going down the road so be careful!

Cold weather gear choices?-muff-left-jpg Cold weather gear choices?-muff-right-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by wa5vhu View Post
    Barkbusters or cheaper Chinese version until it gets too cold, then the muffs. I put these over the Barkbusters. To use the parking brake you have to undo the Velcro strap once stopped.

Warning! You do have to do some things by feel while going down the road so be careful!

Cold weather gear choices?-muff-left-jpg Cold weather gear choices?-muff-right-jpg
    Cut those threads and open them up like the pic above your post. The metal still holds the mouth open and teh wind is still stopped. It's a game changer. I went from liking the muffs to loving them as you can't even feel them or know they are there when the mouth is opened up!

Bike: 2015 NC700S
    -Honda tall windshield
    -bark busters
    -heated grips
    -snow pants I bought during Bushes second term for $15
    -Knockoff carhart with a hoodie underneath
    -Some sort of $30 "snowmobile gloves"
    -China Red Wings
    -Cheap balaclava with fleece neck band.

I run down to the low 30s, almost 20 miles. Feet end up a little cold, also face is a little cold due to crappy seal on helmet. Neck, upper body, mid and lower body all comfortable.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -Motech Rear Rack With Emgo Top Box