Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!

Bike: 2014 NC700X

Sick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!

INTERESTING!!!!

HONDA NC700-X - Buy in M3MOTO

Sick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!-screen-shot-2017-11-09-12-30-29-pm-jpgSick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!-screen-shot-2017-11-09-12-30-38-pm-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Sick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!-cam006461-c15dee8a56c5a1203a14970442118994-100-0-jpg 
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    Belts are not maintenance free and not without their own isssues and problems. Particularly not good for leaving the paved roads.
    What is interesting and not clear in the pictures how they are handling the belt tension change with the suspension movement ???
    $620 USD is a NC life time worth chains and occasional sprockets. I am looking at getting 20-30k on $100 chain and possibly double that on rear sprocket.

Bike: 2012 NC700X & many others.....
    I'm glad to see companies at least looking at new alternatives to things on bikes. I've never owned a belted bike so I cannot really comment on their merits/negatives. Maybe one way to increase chain life is to "totally enclose" the chain.........like Honda had way back in the 1960's (???).......maybe on the Cub Model bikes?? The chain would still need to be lubricated from time to time, but the cleaning chore might could be delayed. There would be moving sections on the bike that would need to be worked out (near the front sprocket, when the swingarm is pivoting), but not a complicated problem.
    I owned a drive-shafted Nighthawk CB700S years ago and loved that system.......except one could not change gear ratios if they wanted.
    I saw an antique Bicycle auctioned off during Bike Week Daytona many years ago that had a drive shaft ......the shaft ended with a little exposed ring/pinion gear at the wheel hub. Oh......and it sold for $800.

Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    Belts are not maintenance free and not without their own isssues and problems. P
    Belt maintence is: check tension and make sure nothing is stuck in them.
    Much better than a chain. And bells can be fine off road if tensioned properly and you are not doing something the NC was not designed for.
    Also LONG trips would not need touring lube and such.

Not advocating for a belt just saying it's an option.
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    Much better than a chain. And bells can be fine off road if tensioned properly and you are not doing something the NC was not designed for.

My first motorcycle, a 1986 Suzuki Savage was Belt Drive. I much preferred the simpler babysitting of a belt. I then went to shaft drive, really zero maintenance, even better. And now I need to stay on top of the chain with my NC.
    For me, order of preference:
    Shaft
    Belt
    Chain

Bike: 2013 NC700XD, 1987 XL600R
    Belt drive is nice. My Zero has it and was trouble free the whole time I had that bike.

I take it that this bike is not a DCT. The DCT is very sensitive to speed differences at the wheels and countershaft. That's why you cannot change the sprocket teeth counts from what the factory put on it, 16 - Front & 39 - Rear.

I only got a little over 13k on the OEM chain on NaNCy. A friend of mine that worked at Honda's Tech Line told me the chain was a budget chain and he was surprised it lasted that long.
    Bruce B.
    Sun Valley, CA, U.S.A.
    2013 NC700XD (DCT) - NaNCy
    1987 XL600R - Megas
    2010 NT700V - NaTalie

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    Install a chain oiler and forget about chain babysitting...

Senior Member Sick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!
    Sick of chain maintenance??? GO BELT!
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    I agree with showkey about the cost vs convenience factor of changing to belt drive is way out of wack. My standard chain & sprockets are now nearing 20k miles and I've only had to adjust it once. :-)

Belts add a smoothness. Kind of like a Porsche Slink. Ever drive a manual Porsche? It has a sexy slink when you let out the clutch. Same thing with a belt, it adds a smoothness that a chain can't compete with... Shaft is similar but not as "sexy" for the lack of a better word.

Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post

On the other side of belt drive:
    Guessing you have not seen or experienced belt breakage, minor debris getting caught under the belt destroying the belt, bikes like the BMW with a belt where the sprockets and belt are several times the cost of chain and sprockets. There are really good reasons most bikes that might see off pavement use ( gravel or dirt, like a fire road) use a chain or shaft and not a belt drive.
    Last edited by showkey; 9th November 2017 at 19:37.