Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How accurate is the on-board mileage computer?

Bike: Various

How accurate is the on-board mileage computer?

I went for a quick ride around town this afternoon, re-set the average mileage when I left, and returned with a reading of 83.0mpg.

I'll eventually check the computer against actual fill-ups over whole tanks, but for now since the bike is new I'm experimenting a bit with re-setting the mpg average for each ride or for various types of rides, mainly out of curiosity. I assume some folks have checked the computer against actual, and I'm wondering what the conventional wisdom is on how accurate the bike's reporting is. Among the cars I've owned, some have been very close, others not. (Those not, always optimistic).

Senior Member How accurate is the on-board mileage computer? GunNut37086's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Honda NC700X
    I think the instant mpg feature is a fun game to play while riding, but it should come with a disclaimer that says it's just for entertainment purposes.

I use the Fuelly app on my phone to track all my vehicles' fuel mileage. The ones with mileage calculators (F-150, Super Tenere, and NC) are ALL overly optimistic by 5% to 10%.

"I shall pass this way but once. Any good that I can do or any kindness I can show; let me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." - Etienne de Grellet (Quaker Missionary)

Bike: Honda NC750D Integra
    Mine is very accurate, actually almost spot on, down to 10ths of a litre. I kid you not, I always fill up to filling neck and record my mileage for several reasons, so accuracy is important. I found that the computer is almost perfectly accurate or it rounds up to the closest 10th of a litre, so the actual calculated mileage is always a hair better. I have never seen such computer accuracy on any car or motorbike I owned.

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    There can be an error tolerance of about +/- 10%

Speedometer - Wikipedia

Bike: NC700, GL1000, CB400F
    My 2012 doesn't have an instant indicator but I"ve kept track of every fill and my lifetime average in 7000 miles is 84 mpg. ( I never, ever use ethanol in any vehicle )

Bike: 2015 NC700x
    Per my fuelly app I usually get about 1.5-2.5 MPG better than indicated.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -MMOTO fully welded luggage rack
    -Dales seat rack
    -Corbin seat

Senior Member How accurate is the on-board mileage computer? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    I'm still trying to figure out mine. Does the mpg reset automatically after each fill up?
    Is there no way to keep a running average, like I do in my car?

Bike: 2015 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out mine. Does the mpg reset automatically after each fill up?
    Is there no way to keep a running average, like I do in my car?
    It resets when you reset your trip meter, at least trip A, that the one I reset every fill up. and it resets average.
    -2015 NC700X
    -Storm Bark Busters
    -Danmoto exhaust
    -Givi crash bars
    -MMOTO fully welded luggage rack
    -Dales seat rack
    -Corbin seat

Bike: Various
    I did notice that my A tripmeter reset when I filled up recently. However it also seemed to reset one time before that, for some unknown reason. I took the bike home from the dealer with 1.3 miles on both A and B and then, with no intervention on my part, trip A suddenly read much lower than trip B.

For SilverRocket, I don't think the average mpg readout resets unless you do it manually, so you could keep it as a lifetime average over the lifetime of the bike if you never do that. But then you'd never be able to reset for a single tank, ride, day etc. The best way to keep a running average is to use some kind of app (I use Road Trip), which turns out to be much easier than keeping track on paper as in the old days.

Bike: Honda NC750D Integra
    It's a matter of settings, I recommend to check the manual. You can turn on/off resetting of trip A. If it is on, then trip A resets every time you fill up after running on reserve.