Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revised Braking Technique

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST

Revised Braking Technique

With only 8K miles on my NC I'm already into the 3rd set of tires with the rear always giving up the ghost first.
    So I've decided to start using the front braking exclusively. With engine braking the rear is still working hard.

My 2nd gen NC has dual sport tires. Z rated tires on the 1st gen NC seem inappropriate for an adventure bike.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    That's the way I ride and for the same reason. Don't forget to practice your panic breaking from time to time. I don't know what the rating is on the PR4's but they bite well. I ride aggressively but it's almost all freeway and I get plenty of miles out of them so I'm happy

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    I think the majority of my tire wear is from the rough road surfaces typically found around here. But regardless, I always try to keep in the habit of using my rear brake a little so that I won't be out of the habit when it's truly needed -- which definitely comes up a lot more when doing off-road stuff on either of my bikes...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: 2014 NC750x
    I am having a hard time understanding this. For in-town, controlled/planned casual braking I generally mostly use engine braking to get down to about 20-30km/h while slightly pressing the rear brake pedal to turn on my brake light or heavier as needed to assist in slowing down. As I come to a stop I use the rear brake to complete the stop and generally hold still like that. I hover my hand or a couple of fingers over my front brake in case I need a little extra braking - but rarely use the front brake for stopping.

For entering turns at higher speeds, heavier or unexpected braking I will take advantage of more front brake coupled with engine braking when possible.

The tire does not skid in any of these scenarios. So i am trying to understand how a tire would wear out *that* much faster when using the respective tire for braking. Especially if the torque of engine braking is causing drag on the rear tire most of the time. Does the differing torque of that wheel slowing the bike down make *that* much difference?

Am I missing something? I am totally up to using the front brake more - and have been trying to get in the habit of using both more... but I just don't get the rubber wear comments above.
    "We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it." - Douglas Adams

--== Please see my profile "About Me" section for a summary of my bike's mods and customizations ==--

Senior Member Revised Braking Technique dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Front brake does most of the stopping due to physics but the rear brake is important for finesse and fine control.
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80

Senior Member Revised Braking Technique ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by ST13Fred View Post
    So I've decided to start using the front braking exclusively.
    I had no idea you could use the brakes on a DCT w/ABS independently. I thought the ABS brakes were linked.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by lue42 View Post
    The tire does not skid in any of these scenarios. So i am trying to understand how a tire would wear out *that* much faster when using the respective tire for braking. Especially if the torque of engine braking is causing drag on the rear tire most of the time.
    Grip comes from somewhere. Even if there isn't obvious skidding something is interacting with the road surface, and that is going to cause some wear (and heat). Wear comes from engine braking too if this is the case, of course, because the tire is applying that change in drivetrain force to the road surface.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Senior Member Revised Braking Technique GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    I had no idea you could use the brakes on a DCT w/ABS independently. I thought the ABS brakes were linked.
    I think the 2012 and maybe 2013 were linked, but I think after 2014 they are not linked. I am under the impression that whichever brake you use does not affect tire wear that much unless you can somehow lock up the tire and skid (which should not be possible with ABS). My understanding is that the rear tire wears faster because that's where the power is generated hence the friction is higher and the tire wears faster.

Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    Grip comes from somewhere. Even if there isn't obvious skidding something is interacting with the road surface, and that is going to cause some wear (and heat). Wear comes from engine braking too if this is the case, of course, because the tire is applying that change in drivetrain force to the road surface.

Agree, this front tire was obviously never locked up or skidded..........but this feathering wear pattern is very likely due to braking ove the last 7800 miles:

Revised Braking Technique-img_3593-jpg

Think using front brake only is not a good solution for most........as others have mentioned when the emergency situation arises you will brake in a formed habit or muscle memory reaction.

Application of both front and rear brakes on every stop is the technique taught and incouraged by most.

I also doubt that braking is the cause of the premature wearing of the tires. Think it's more likely the choice of tires. Example?... I used the Avon super moto compound tire and it lasted less than 2500 miles while a very similar tread pattern Shinko 705 lasted 7800 miles under the same use pattern.
    Last edited by showkey; 9th August 2017 at 18:23.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I'm sure it's a rookie mistake a never improved upon but I never had a good feel for how much rear brake I was applying until it was locked up or very close to it. I ride aggressively, saying that I mean that I accelerate as quickly as possible without it causing extra wear on the motorcycle itself due to abuse, and brake hard often. While not necessarily hurting motorcycles engine or transmission I do wear out consumables such as tires chains and brakes more quickly then someone who rides as mellow as some of you have described. I don't purposely engine brake much but accelerating quickly and using only the front brake almost every time my tires wear out at the same time.