Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling Fan Melted?

Senior Member Cooling Fan Melted? Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750XA Yamaha FZ1

Cooling Fan Melted?

Has anyone had their cooling fan melt of the motor shaft? I had my engine overheat in stop and go traffic and realized the fan wasn't coming on. When I inspected the fan it had melted of the motor shaft.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Senior Member Cooling Fan Melted? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Something jam the fan so the motor spun the metal shaft in the fan hub until friction melted it?
    Dave

ST1300
    NC700XD
    CH80

Its possible. There was one restrainer that didn't have anything in it. It was only melted on one side of the mounting hole. I would have thought the fuse would have blown before it was able to spin off the shaft.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    I had the plastic blades melt and fail on an Accord years ago. Also, an A/C clutch melted down on another Honda.

Now as to where the excess heat came from to cause this. Thermostat function and fluid level is the first check.
    If these are OK and you see no blade/air flow obstruction the fan motor may have overheated w/an internal issue.
    This is not normal and you need to know exactly why this happened. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Last edited by ST13Fred; 24th July 2017 at 12:13.

Sorry for the late reply. The melted fan blade was caused by a rubber hose that had found its way out of it retainer and ended up in the blades. The fan motor managed to spin the shaft in the stationary fan and melt the plastic. The fuse should have blown before this happened. I managed to find a used low use fan on ebay for $25. I installed it on Saturday and everything is back to normal.

― Mark Twain

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
    Sorry for the late reply. The melted fan blade was caused by a rubber hose that had found its way out of it retainer and ended up in the blades. The fan motor managed to spin the shaft in the stationary fan and melt the plastic. The fuse should have blown before this happened. I managed to find a used low use fan on ebay for $25. I installed it on Saturday and everything is back to normal.
    I noticed my fan wasn't coming on awhile back, same thing happened to me with the hose blocking the fan. I was lucky, I put the hose back out of the way and the fan just came on, but same problem with the fuse not blowing.

My feeling is that Honda made a mistake with the fuse size. The fuse should blow before any damage could occur to the fan. I still have the old fan and it still works. I'll experiment with different fuse sizes and see what one will "pop" when I lock the motor's shaft.

― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
    My feeling is that Honda made a mistake with the fuse size. The fuse should blow before any damage could occur to the fan. I still have the old fan and it still works. I'll experiment with different fuse sizes and see what one will "pop" when I lock the motor's shaft.
    That would be great. I did my valves in the beginning of November I think, and I didn't notice my fan was being pinched so it couldn't rotate until April and I ride 4 or 5 times a week year round.
    I'm mostly on the freeway and that was the coolest time of the year and I'm not actually sure it was blocked that whole time (don't know how else it could have gotten pinched in there like that though) but who knows how many times my fan tried going on and couldn't move, but kept on trying.

Bike: 2013 Red NC700X
    Fuses are to protect electrical components, not mechanical ones.

If your wires melted when it did this, it would have been mis-designed.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDude View Post
    Fuses are to protect electrical components, not mechanical ones.

If your wires melted when it did this, it would have been mis-designed.
    Wouldn't the motor being physically stopped cause a electrical surge?