Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone to the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Bike: 2015 NC700X
    The Tail of the Dragon is a great place to get killed. All the idiots go there and come at you left of center in blind curves. It's only 11 miles and not a hard ride compared to some other roads.

The BRP from Cherokee to 215 is my favorite ride. Don't miss Waterrock Knob at sunset. Some of the other roads in that area get missed. 215 from the parkway south down to 64 is killer. I did it in the dark one night. Really a challenge in the dark!

One that gets missed is the Devils Triangle here in Oliver Springs. It's a good ride and unlike the Dragon it's long enough. I live on it so I get bored with it since it's at the end of my driveway.

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph 'n Shadow View Post
    Hey ST13Fred!
    Have you tried the "Back of the Dragon" just south of you at Tazewell, Va.?
    Or the "Claw of the Dragon?"
    So many Dragon parts being thrown around it is hard to keep things straight!
    No. I remember another Dragon anatomy section of road very near the famous Deal's Gap. The sign was near a T-intersection where a small store sat.
    The 11-mile Gap has the highest cycle accident rate in the world. Killboy.com can attest to that.

The long sweeping turns of the Cherohala that I've run several times in both directions on my then ST13A is my favorite.
    Last edited by ST13Fred; 19th May 2017 at 20:37.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    The Dragon's Breath must be up here in Montana, because we sure have a lot of wind/gusting, and forest fires galore once the snow is melted back!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Senior Member Anyone to the Blue Ridge Parkway? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    I won't ride the dragon on weekends for that reason- too many people and half of them either don't know what they're doing or think they are filming Fast and Furious part 15. Throw in the odd large truck or RV and you've got a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Triumph 'n Shadow's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 Honda NC700X, 2015 Triumph Tiger XRx, 1992 Honda Shadow
    So the three things I must now do are:

1) Organize all these great driving locations
    2) Get a new seat on my NC so my backside WANTS to ride all these roads.
    3) Ride the "Tail of the Dragon" on a week day.

tngw1500se:
    The Devil's Triangle was on last weekends "To Do" list but we ran out of time.
    But it is still on the list and I hope to accomplish it soon.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

Skyline Drive is 105 miles (Fee to drive)
    Blue Ridge Parkway is 469 miles (No fee)
    Tail of the Dragon is 11 miles (No fee)
    Devil's Triangle is 44 miles (No fee)
    Cherohala Skyway is 43 miles
    Back of the Dragon is 32 miles
    Claw o the Dragon is 224 miles

Am I missing any I may want to add?
    Good thing the NC gets great gas mileage!!!

God bless and ride safe!!

Michael

The Devils Triangle is made up of three roads, 62, 330 & 116 with 116 being the only good part of it. The rest of it is not really curvy & is disappointing. A better ride is to skip 330 & 62 and just ride the rest of 116 that is not part of the triangle. From interstate 75 get off at Rocky Top TN (Formally Lake City) and take hwy 116 west. Ride that road all the way over to hwy 62 turn around and ride it in reverse order. Be careful, there are parts of 116 that are not forgiving. It you cross over the white edge line, the road is gone. You're fertilizer. This road is more challenging that the Dragon. There's switchbacks and it's much longer. A few of the straight sections sucker you into looking around a bit to much, then the sharp curve at the end sneaks back up on you awful quick. If you see a gravel driveway entering the road, be aware there may be gravel on the road. Gingers market is just a few miles west of Briceville TN and they serve a decent burger and fries. There's gravel roads turning off 116 that may seem interesting but a lot of them go into Coal Creek property and you need a permit to ride them.

If you're adventurous, New River road takes off North at the most northern part of 116 here: N36 12.670' W84 19.280' It's gravel for a few miles and then you turn east on paved Stoney Fork Rd. follow that road through the town of Peewee (not kidding) it drops you out (after viewing a killer 50 mile overlook) in Caryville TN on Interstate 75 at the 134 mile marker.

Note that New River road is marked as 116 on Garmin GPS. It's not. Garmin map show 116 going off three directions at that intersection.

A few more:

Hwy 25 from Jellico TN to La Follette TN.

441 goes over Norris dam at the 128 exit.

Old hwy 63 north from interstate exit 134

New Hwy 63 from exit 122 past Big Ridge state park is a nice ride.

297 south from Jellico down to new 63

That should hold you a while

PS: Add a note to the Cherohala Skyway "NO GAS"
    Last edited by tngw1500se; 21st May 2017 at 09:00.

Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    I just rode the whole length (N-S) Wednesday / Thursday. I'd done parts in a car numerous times, but not on the bike. Great weather, great views and a good time of year as I passed more motorcycles than cars. Started at the northern end in the a.m. and drove to Blowing Rock first day, then the lower section to Cherokee Thursday. First multi-day trip on the 2016 NC, and the Sargent seat performed like a champ. Hope to do it again in the fall. Really lucked out on the weather... a day later would have been in full rain gear. Overall fabulous ride, really helped my learning curve with the DCT.

Super Moderator Anyone to the Blue Ridge Parkway? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, Ruckus 50, KLX140L
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceback View Post
    I just rode the whole length (N-S) Wednesday / Thursday. I'd done parts in a car numerous times, but not on the bike. Great weather, great views and a good time of year as I passed more motorcycles than cars. Started at the northern end in the a.m. and drove to Blowing Rock first day, then the lower section to Cherokee Thursday. First multi-day trip on the 2016 NC, and the Sargent seat performed like a champ. Hope to do it again in the fall. Really lucked out on the weather... a day later would have been in full rain gear. Overall fabulous ride, really helped my learning curve with the DCT.
    I was on the southern section of the Parkway Thursday afternoon. I coulda swore I saw a couple NCs while I was there. Perhaps one of them was yours!
    Last edited by 670cc; 23rd May 2017 at 04:54.
    Greg
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX

Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Maybe... I was riding with a Yamaha Super Tenere and a Harley... Good time of year, the parkway can get pretty crowded in the summer with RVs and day trippers, lots of bikes and few cars this trip. Saw a couple of NCs pass me by.. standard 2 finger salute to all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceback View Post
    ................the parkway can get pretty crowded in the summer..........
    I can deal with the weekday summer traffic. The fall is when it really sucks. That's when the leaf lookers are all doing 20 MPH. If you pass one there's just 20 more ahead of them.