Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Effect of Sun on the NC700X

Bike: NC700X

Effect of Sun on the NC700X

As I was walking back from lunch, I noticed that my bike sits in the sun about 5 hours while I'm at work and it's literally sunny 365 days here in So Cal and I commute 4 days out of the week. There aren't that many trees at my work parking lot but I did notice an area under a tree not too far away from where I normally park that would allow for shade entire time it is parked but I would have to deal with falling leaves and what not. I see relatively newer cars in so cal with horrible faded paint jobs all the time and I'm guessing its the sun. Not sure what impact sun would have on the NC700X but would you park in the shade? My bike is parked inside the garage when not commuting. There is absolutely no issue with security in the parking area so that's least of my concern.

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Must be some of those vicious California leaves I've been hearing about.

Bike: 2016 Honda NC700X DCT ABS
    Vicious indeed.

Effect of Sun on the NC700X-leaves-following-motorcycle-jpg
    40 years on 2 wheels. Now: 2016 Honda NC700X DCT ABS (Madstad, Sargent). Then: 2007 Honda Gold Wing GL1800A (Audio/Comfort/Navi/ABS w/ Traxxion Dynamics suspension), 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A, 1999 Honda ST1100, 1998 Honda Gold Wing GL1500SE, 1994 Honda Shadow VT1100, 1993 Honda ST1100, 1983 Honda Nighthawk 650SC, 1982 Honda XL250R, 1979 Kawasaki KZ1300, 1975 Honda 750-Four K, 1971 Yamaha R5

Bike: nc700x
    Someone posted about 3 years ago (on this forum?) about a melted dashboard spot. The sunlight had passed through the windscreen which acted like a magnifying glass to concentrate the light onto a single spot. I guess it was just long enough.

Regardless, I'd pick shade, especially with my black NC. It collects a lot of heat.

Randy
    XT250, Super Tenere, NC700X

Quote Originally Posted by randypower View Post
    Someone posted about 3 years ago (on this forum?) about a melted dashboard spot. The sunlight had passed through the windscreen which acted like a magnifying glass to concentrate the light onto a single spot. I guess it was just long enough.

Regardless, I'd pick shade, especially with my black NC. It collects a lot of heat.

Randy
    XT250, Super Tenere, NC700X
    This isn't a issue for me. My Madstad hasn't effected my dash at all but I think I'm going to park in the shade from now on just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Senior Member Effect of Sun on the NC700X
    Bike: 2014 NC700 dct
    or just buy a cheap cover for it. it takes 30 sec to put on

Quote Originally Posted by mreric View Post
    Might be an opportunity for me to use my frunk. I do have a cover that I got for free from a Craigslist transaction. I'll have to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: nc700x
    Quote Originally Posted by mreric View Post
    How do you keep the cover from melting on the pipe if you don't wait a few minutes for it to cool down?

Bike: 2014 Victory Cross Country
    Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    As I was walking back from lunch, I noticed that my bike sits in the sun about 5 hours while I'm at work and it's literally sunny 365 days here in So Cal and I commute 4 days out of the week.
    I live in Fresno, CA so I know all about the sun and heat. :-) While I don't have an NC yet (soon I hope!), I always park my current bike in the shade if I can. The paint will probably be fine, but anything plastic or rubber (especially black) is definitely going to dry out and fade. At one point I found a spandex cover that would stretch just over the top of my bike, basically covering the dash, bars, tank and seat. It was really handy and you could put it on in about 5 seconds. I can't remember the brand but it was similar to the ones at skn-it.com or geza.

Senior Member Effect of Sun on the NC700X ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by randypower View Post
    How do you keep the cover from melting on the pipe if you don't wait a few minutes for it to cool down?
    Few covers actually cover the exhaust pipes. What you want is one that covers only the windscreen, dash area, and the seat. If for some reason you wanted to cover the entire motorcycle, those covers come with heat resistant panels that won't be damaged by the warm exhaust.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540