Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Effect of Sun on the NC700X

Senior Member Effect of Sun on the NC700X BerndM's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X-D
    Since I don't have to commute with my bike I never needed an outdoor sun/weather cover but in the garage, just to keep the dust off, I use an old king sized flat bed sheet draped over the bike.
    BTW, you must live in a different part of SoCal than me (near Disneyland) because the average SUNNY days here number 275 to 285 a year.
    Regards
    Bernd

2013 Honda NC700X-D (Red of course) # 100345

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Up here in Montana the sun just makes my NC go Happy Happy Joy Joy. But I have to cover the seat if I leave it outside (not so important when using a Sit & Fly seat cover over the front seat) because of all our kittays.

2016-07-07 09;25;43 by greenboy, on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by BerndM View Post
    Since I don't have to commute with my bike I never needed an outdoor sun/weather cover but in the garage, just to keep the dust off, I use an old king sized flat bed sheet draped over the bike.
    BTW, you must live in a different part of SoCal than me (near Disneyland) because the average SUNNY days here number 275 to 285 a year.
    Haha okay fine you got me! Funny how you mention Disneyland, wife and son are there right now! Im in Buena Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Red NC700X - Givi FZ1111, Shad Comfort Seat, Moose Racing 47L Expedition Trunk, Barkbuster Storm, Adjustable levers, Denali Light Bracket, generic LED driving lights

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Quote Originally Posted by kumatae View Post
    Not sure what impact sun would have on the NC700X but would you park in the shade?
    Yes. I park in the shade or put a cover on the bike whenever and wherever I can (assuming I cannot park inside or under a roof). The sun is wickedly destructive not only to paints, but to plastics especially.

Senior Member Effect of Sun on the NC700X
    Effect of Sun on the NC700X
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    "Not sure what impact sun would have on the NC700X but would you park in the shade? My bike is parked inside the garage when not commuting."
    The sun will destroy the plastics. My Old GL1200's plastic was disintegrating because of it. My bike sits in a parking lot for 12-13 hours a day while I'm at work and I'd bet the black plastic bits will be breaking off in 20 years or less, if I didn't protect it.
    I have the Kwikover like Fuzzy. No matter what sun protection you use, it's worth it.

Bike: In transit: 2014 red/black nc700x
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I use a Kiwi Cover, thread here:KwiKover by Laminar

Keeps seat dry in rain, cool in sun. Convenient and always their stored behind seat.
    Attachment 33162

Other options are Nelson Rigg half cover or the one Beemerphile tecommends The Traveller Half Motorcycle Cover | E-Z Touring Motorcycle Covers

That is pretty cool! I've never seen anything like that.

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    UV is very harmful to everything. I will not let my bike sit in the sun over 1 hour w/o its cover.
    I've been using the silver Dowco Guardian Ultralite in LG for over 25 years. They last forever are UV proof waterproof and pack small.
    Out of sight out of mind security blanket.

Dowco Guardian Ultralite Motorcycle Cover - Cycle Gear

Quote Originally Posted by ST13Fred View Post
    UV is very harmful to everything. I will not let my bike sit in the sun over 1 hour w/o its cover.
    I've been using the silver Dowco Guardian Ultralite in LG for over 25 years. They last forever are UV proof waterproof and pack small.
    Out of sight out of mind security blanket.

Dowco Guardian Ultralite Motorcycle Cover - Cycle Gear
    What size are you using?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700 DCT Motus MST
    LG=Large.
    Years ago I bought a Honda accessory cover that fell apart within a year. UV killed it.
    These Dowco are tough and do last forever.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    If you ride your bike a short distance to work then I could see wanting to cover it while you are working.

However, if you go on longer rides your bike is in the sun the whole time (unless of course it is raining) so what difference does it make.

With all of that said I will say that my 2012 has some considerable fading on the blinker housings and the plastic parts of the controls.
    It only had 2113 miles on it when I bought it a month ago so I suspect most of the damage is from sitting outside a lot rather than riding a lot.